Other Kit wine taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor323

Reaction score
I’ve been drinking wine for at least 60 years. In the early days I preferred Bordeaux wines then I discovered the Rhône! In general Of course, you can ever go wrong with a simple Beaujolais. I like wines from France, Spain and Italy. I’ve been making wine on and off for over years. I began with fruit wines, then moved on to wines from French-American hybrid grapes. I no longer have access to the grapes and it’s difficult to buy really good wines where I live so I’ve been making kit wine. Last year I made 60 gallons of kit wines. A couple of years ago I made 180 gallons in a 12 month period.. I make Finer Wine Kits, Wine Expert and RJS. I especially like the WE GSM blend and FWK Super Tuscan (with Syrah) is dynamite. So here’s my question. What is “kit taste”? How would you describe it? I have noticed a difference between kit wines and commercial wines. I find that kit wines are much more fruit forward and are generally lighter bodied and less complex. I also find that varietal character is much less pronounced and there’s not a lot of difference between varieties. I don’t find a great deal of difference between FWK and other kits.

KWT is an odd flavor that I'd describe as a flavor that is harsh and definitely out of place. Others have described it as a chemical taste. I've encountered it numerous times, and while there are differences from wine to wine, it's all in the same family. Like 5 breeds of dogs all look different but are all recognizably dogs.

I've heard numerous theories as to the source of KWT. The one common thing in wines reported to have KWT is the concentrate, so it appears likely that it is an side effect of the concentrate production.

About 4 years ago both WE and RJS reformulated their concentrates. I made a WE Australian Cabernet Sauvignon in 2020, and it did not have KWT. The FWK do not exhibit it, either.

Now that I think about it, it's been several years since I noticed any discussion regarding KWT.

I have noticed a difference between kit wines and commercial wines. I find that kit wines are much more fruit forward and are generally lighter bodied and less complex. I also find that varietal character is much less pronounced and there’s not a lot of difference between varieties.
This ^^^ is the most obvious issue with kits at this point. Little to no nose, and lack of varietal character are my two biggest complaints. Kit taste seems to have been resolved for the most part.

This ^^^ is the most obvious issue with kits at this point. Little to no nose, and lack of varietal character are my two biggest complaints. Kit taste seems to have been resolved for the most part.
If you use the K&C, stop and let the wine clear naturally over time. K&C reduce aroma.

Last edited:
Most of the kit wines I have made have decent aromas, some really powerful. Partly depends on how much time spent in the bottle.

Most of the kit wines I have made have decent aromas, some really powerful. Partly depends on how much time spent in the bottle.
Yeah, I was going to say, they must be using only the stuff that comes in the kit. Because we only usually use the juice that comes in the kit and everything else we buy ourselves. Our first ever kit we made was a Cabernet, used everything in the kit and it did come out tasting light body ish. We are now on our 15th one and made a Cabernet (upgraded everything) and it taste heavy body. Beats out anything in the $30-$40 range. And this the WE classic level.

Everyone has their own opinion and I understand that. But if Kit wines all weren’t good they would place just as well or better than regular juice.

Yeah, I was going to say, they must be using only the stuff that comes in the kit. Because we only usually use the juice that comes in the kit and everything else we buy ourselves. Our first ever kit we made was a Cabernet, used everything in the kit and it did come out tasting light body ish. We are now on our 15th one and made a Cabernet (upgraded everything) and it taste heavy body. Beats out anything in the $30-$40 range. And this the WE classic level.

Everyone has their own opinion and I understand that. But if Kit wines all weren’t good they would place just as well or better than regular juice.
Couple of typos. Meant to say kit wines place just as well and in most cases higher than regular juice.

Couple of typos. Meant to say kit wines place just as well and in most cases higher than regular juice.
If you see a typo, just click on the edit button. Then hit save. If the content is adjusted, I’ve seen people be transparent by indicating an edit was made. Simple misspelling, I would just correct and save.

If you see a typo, just click on the edit button. Then hit save. If the content is adjusted, I’ve seen people be transparent by indicating an edit was made. Simple misspelling, I would just correct and save.
Thank you! I wasn’t sure how to do it 😂

Latest posts

Back