when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
So while we are waiting for the Moscato, I figured I would re-visit what this thread was originally intended for.
“When Good Wines Gone Bad” was developed with the intent tohelp the average winemaker with defects in his or her wine. It sounds easy butnot always so. I’m inviting you to come with us and take a step back in time, togo over some of the wines I have in my possession. Some of them have lost their flavor but havegood alcohol, while some of them have good flavor but not clear. We’re going togo over and make corrections to these wines in written and pictorial format sothat you can see how to correct these problems. We will discuss what tools youneed in your toolbox and determining if the wine is correctable. Sometimes youjust have to say, “Not my quality of wine!” and trash it!

So stay with Kate and I,and you will see firsthand what you can and cannot do to make “A Good Wine That’s Gone Bad”.

Yay! I'm looking forward to this. It will probably save my hours of trying to figure things out on my own and hopefully let me find trouble before it gets out of hand. Thanks Joe and Kate!

Lori

THE WINE ABOVE IS A NATIVE AMERICAN GRAPE CALLED VIGNOLES,THE TERM FOXY WOULD BEST DESCRIBE IT, I have done this wine a few times before and each time it was successful but this time I was in a hurry why I don't know but I was in a hurry and that's a mistake for winemaker. So I went through the usual bottling process and I filtered this wine, illustrate process it was correct in every manner ,so I bottled it, labeled it, put it on the shelf proud of myself. Them one day bout a month later I decided to take some to dinner and to my amazement there is a real slight sediment In the bottle, not good!

The next available opportunity I uncorked all bottles and sanitized this way could save the labels I then took the wine and place it in a 3 gallon carboy plus 1 gallon jug , and put them both in my bottom of my refrigerator there I let them cold soak for a month so that it would precipitate out any tartaric crystals and any other unnecessary elements in the wine , the next step will be to bring this wine up to room temperature, then I'll be able to racket and bottle it , it's not uncommon for white wines of this nature to have a lot of pectin enzymes in their content and sometimes you can see this with the naked eye, even though you done the correct process , sometimes it just happens , so don't be alarmed if it happens to you there other ways of clearing a wine a cold soak is one of them, using pectin enzyme is another using finding agents such as super clear and others . so follow us as we reassemble the wine, sorry the pictures got a little messed up but you'll be able to follow it better next time.my BETTER HALF TASTED THE FINISH PRODUCT AND STATED IT WASN'T BITTER AT ALL BUT, DRY LIKE A CHARDONNAY ,SO AT THIS POINT WELL JUST RE BOTTLE ,repair completed.

VIGNOLE CLOUDY WINE ,after the cold soak it is very clear a:ftnd ready for re bottling, but wait it's a little bitter Ph is at 3.2,maybe I'll back sweeten we'll see, stay toned.

Cloudy wine (1).jpg

Cloudy wine (2).jpg

Cloudy wine (3).jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my Moscato.... 5 weeks old and taste great! Cleared up nicely per WE directions....

image-1688393033.jpg

Muscato reviewed

LETS REVIEW BEFORE WE MOVE ON.:mny THS WINE SHOULD FINSH QUIT SMOOTH AND FRUITFUL.:mny

1a Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

6water to must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

joe,

based on the pics where you're removing the raisins from secondary it looks like you ferment in secondary using that big plastic bucket, not a carboy....then once secondary is over you transfer to glass carboy; correct?

Raisin tran fer

THAT'S CORRECT ,BECAUSE I WAS ALREADY IN A OPEN VAT AND IT WAS A BETTER WAY TO DEMONSTRATE THE WINE/RAISIN EFFECT AND SHOW HOW TO-USE A STRAINER TO REMOVE THEM, MUCH BETTER FOR SHOW AND TELL ALL AROUND.:db

Hello Joe ,
Did you use tannin for the Muscato or just raisins ? If you did how much tannin .
Thank you,

Why are the raisins taken out? Left in would they somehow mess up racking to the carboy?

Thanks...

Muscato continued

No, I did not put any tannins in the wine as of yet this kit comes complete with an Fpac, so before I add anything else to the kit I want to see what the finished product is like, then if I feel it should require a little more body I might, thanks for the question and thanks for following (when good wines go on bad).:a1

muscato moving forward

NEXT STEP,add chems ,add fpac and clear this is what it looks like ,it should clear with in 48 hrs. :wy

1a Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

6water to must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

Process forward

PROCESS MOVING FORWARD..:wy ADDED FPAC AND RE-FINE WITH SUPERKLEER SHOULD CLEAR WITHIN 48 HRS,READY TO BOTTLE.

11 cover and tag.jpg

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

13 moscato straining raisins.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

15 moscato stabilizing 1.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

17 stirring moscato after stabilizing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

19 moscato cleaning carboy.jpg

Nice and clear Moscato 9 12 13.jpg

joe , dont take offense, but is that a trolling motor i see in that one pic are an air compressor..you need to build a wine making room.....wish i was close to you..i would built it for you.

That's not an air compressor or a trolling motor.. It's a back-flow system for my house water supply. LOL
And oh, by the way, as for a winemaking room, thank you for the offer but I'm happy using my basement. My house is 3,400 sq. ft. and this is the whole basement of the house. You only see bits and pieces of it in the photos I post. No offense taken!
Cheers!
Joe

Latest posts

Back