when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Joe sorry to bust in here but coastal did send me a message and something I forgot. I found one thing that really enhances the apple is a few cinnamon sticks (30 days). I even add a few cloves per 5 gallons. CAUTION :wy Anymore than this and you'll taste it. It's to enhance the backend taste. No one should be able to identify the taste, but you'll know it is there.

Joe sorry to bust in here but coastal did send me a message and something I forgot. I found one thing that really enhances the apple is a few cinnamon sticks (30 days). I even add a few cloves per 5 gallons. CAUTION :wy Anymore than this and you'll taste it. It's to enhance the backend taste. No one should be able to identify the taste, but you'll know it is there.

That's really clever!

And I was just wondering if anyone has used cinnamon sticks when wine is in the carboy....only for fruit wines? what about regular grape juice wine?

Apple wine

THERE are any number of items to enhance the apple taste, but I think I would want to know if after adding the concentrate- I had a good , deep apple taste ,then the question at this point is after adding the concentrate how do I stand on the APPLE TASTE.:u then go back to the thread in which I showed all the extracts in the round and pick almost any of them,......................first acquire the flavor....:u

THERE are any number of items to enhance the apple taste, but I think I would want to know if after adding the concentrate- I had a good , deep apple taste ,then the question at this point is after adding the concentrate how do I stand on the APPLE TASTE.:u then go back to the thread in which I showed all the extracts in the round and pick almost any of them,......................first acquire the flavor....:u

Joeswine, My wife is going to taste it tonight and let me know how it is. I am still not home yet (but im very close to being) I have to rely on her response for this. If the apple taste still isn't strong enough would you recommend adding another can of apple concentrate? Also, after getting the apple taste right on the mark, I am thinking about adding 2 cinnamon sticks to it like runningwolf recommended. In your opinion, for apple wine, would adding cinnamon sticks or one of those extracts work better? Also, when my wife tasted it the firs time, she added a little sugar to her glass and found that, with it back sweetened it tastes a great deal better. When should I back sweeten it and should I use grain sugar or your simple syrup?

The wife tried the wine last night and said it has become more bitter... and still no apple flavor... She used an acid titration kit and found the acid to be high and she lowered it to the correct level.. and now it is bitter..how can I get rid of the bitterness?

Joeswine, I asked her if it had a bubbly taste or fizzy taste and she said no. She thinks its where she dumped it into the glass. She added K meta and Sorbate before she added the concentrate into the wine. She said she hasn't noticed any movement in the airlock, no bubbles coming through that. Do you think the fermentation restated after adding that?

Joeswine, what do you think could be the issue of the bitterness? Imbalance of sugars to acids? Adding calcium carbonate after fermentation? re-fermentation?

apple wine

tell her to take a SG READING ,to be sure and continue with the base as we talked about on the PM.:try

She took an S.G. reading and it is dry. She pulled a sample, added sugar to it. The sugar removed the bitterness. She came up with a reading of 1.025. And she said it was really good. She stated that she could start to taste the apple in the wine. She bought a can of concentrate just in case. She is going to add it when she gets home. and let it sit until I get home.

Here are the pictures. The wine glass had no bubbles in it this time. And the other picture is the meter my wife bought for my coming home present.

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

Vineland NJ Amateur Wine Competition Aug 10 2013

Vineland NJ is holding their annual Amateur Wine Competition to be held in the city of Vineland, NJ.
It's free to enter, just send in 3 bottles.
I am attaching the form for everyone to download.
Instructions are on the form.
I wont be entering as I will be helping orchestrate it, so now all of you have a chance to win!!
funny20194.gif
Innocent.gif

Cheers!
Joeswine

View attachment 2013 wine competition entry form.pdf

Back