when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
party wine kits

PARTY WINE KITS ARE FUN AND UNIQUE IN FLAVOR PACKAGE ,JUST BY BEING PREPARED AND READ THE PROCESS YOU CAN CREATE A FUN WINE OR party wine.

1 The Kit.jpg

2 Everything included with kit.jpg

3 The Ingredients.jpg

4 empty large bag into primary.jpg

5 top up to 3 gals.jpg

6 take the SG.jpg

7 stir in bentonite.jpg

8 dump yeast in.jpg

20130627_192019.jpg

Add bentonite to the primary fermenter with ½ gallon warmwater and stir it up until dissolved

Open up the large juice bag and dump it into the primarybucket

See the “musk” left over? Rinse that out w/ a little water.You don’t want to waste this, it’s extra yeast food and flavor!

Stir up everything in the bucket until well mixed up, thentake your Specific Gravity (SG) reading. Ours reads 1.070.

Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit, don’t stir. We areusing Lalvin 1118. Moscato typically does not have oak. We are adding oaktannins and white California Sun-Maid raisins into the secondary to build upthe mouth feel. (This we will show in pictures and text later on in theprocess.)

Now you cover the bucket with a towel so that your yeast canbreath but so that dust and debris do not fall into your bucket. (If you havesmall children be careful, children and buckets of liquid do not mix. I've put the lid on loosely so that the kids leave it alone. The lid had a bung hole so it was still able to breath)

1a Moscato kit.jpg

1b Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

6water to must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

Muscato continued

Third day of,SGs at 1.02.... And dropping FAST:db close to FPAC TIME:tz..................SAY TOONED:db

Note; Ambient is at 68 during fermentation

Last edited:
Muscato continued

:wyHere we are in day five point of the Muscat wine, at the five-day point we went totally dry, now we're going to tweak this a little bit before I put the F pack in , going to add a half a pound of Sunmaid Golden Raisins, this will add more texture and structure I must be very careful because I'm doing this in a open faced container the raisins will rehydrate= the alcohol in wine start to extract the sugars from the raisins= this will cause a secondary fermentation, once again, because I'm doing this in open faced I must stay on top of it usually I do this in a glass carboy once this phase is done and should only take about 3 to 5 days then we will add chemicals /we will clear / in another five days ,racket and add the F pack.:wy

1b Moscato kit.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

20130822_190339.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

Now that we are done our primary fermentation and ourMoscato is dry (our SG read 1.012, sorry I did not take a picture. FYI: Thisreading was right on target with the manufacture- Winexpert. We are right wherewe need to be) it is time for secondary fermentation.

Notice all the white, rehydrated raisins floating on top? Weare going to strain them off the top and then rack this moscato down to a 6gallon carboy.

Now it’s time for stabilizing. The kit came with a packet ofpotassium sorbate, K-Meta, and Chitosan for clearing. Add the packets ofsorbate and K-met first, then the clearing agent. Then give your carboy a goodstir.

Next, we add nitrogen gas to the carboy. (This is notnecessary but I do it as a precaution. ) Now the hard part.. waiting..

As always, clean up your carboy right away so that it doesn’tget funky.

Stay tuned. The next post for this Winexpert Moscato kit isto check to see how clear it is. If it needs more clearing, We will apply moreSuper Kleer as required. (My preference of clearing agents.) Once it’s clearthen it’s time for the F-Pak that came with the kit. Once it is clear and theF-pak is applied then we bottle, cork, and label. Again, the post for this(with pictures) is forth-coming. Cheers!

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

13 moscato straining raisins.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

15 moscato stabilizing 1.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

17 stirring moscato after stabilizing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

19 moscato cleaning carboy.jpg

This is looking really good. I can't wait to get home tomorrow and fish out my raisins in the Mezza Luna white and start clearing. I picked up some Super Kleer in Houston so I am ready to go.

Mezza luna white

SOUNDS like a plan Lori, you should always have superkleer in your tool box it's an essential for a wine maker, stay the course.:u

mezza luna white

:wy WHILE your watching lori's process and she's adding the raisins in the secondary it goes hand and hand with the building and the structure of the wine ,with each manufactures step we construct this sauce and then we add our touch, not that they were wrong it's just OUR TOUCH, it makes it yours, your trademark as it were, when this Muscat is finished it will have great legs and a caricatures to be believed as well as that unmistakable MUSCATO flavor.:HB

Muscato continued

The process continues.............:sethe very last picture on this thread shows what is left of sediment in the bottle as is being cleaned b brite, sanitation is always paramount in winemaking never forget that everything you touch everything that comes in contact with the wine including quality of the water needs to be as clean as possible including yourself. Stay tuned disorder, with the Moscato, we will be clearing it,, adding the chemicals, adding the F pack and then let it settle out.. Moscato is one of my favor white wines, to be done so many fashion stated course not quite done yet.

11 cover and tag.jpg

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

Last edited:
cleaning up

:uThat is actually a hose coming out my sink I have an adapter for my pressure bottle washer to a hose I fill all my bottles going to wash via the hose then rinse them ,I added an oxygen generator it set overnight or when they clear then dumped back into the sink my process.:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl:sl

a washing we will go

:se YES, that mud see is sediment from the bottom of a carboy depending on the amount of solids in a juice and what you use to clear with that's the end result, MUD.:)

Muscato moving forward

Still a ways to go with before moving the Moscato, so let's review................................................................................:u

1a Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

11 cover and tag.jpg

Muscato continued

MUSCAT CONTINUED..........:wy THIS IS A COMBINED EFFORT WITH DATA AND TEXT//KATIE AND JOE..............................

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

Latest posts

Back