What's you wine worth??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course. I am in Canadian wine country now on vacation and we have spent a couple hundred dollars on wines in the last three days.

Vacation,,, money to spend on wine!!!!
I'm jealous. I sure do wish our government would get some kind of economic stimulus going for wine!!

I work for a produce house so most of my ingredients are cheap or free. Just a few months ago I took home two buckets of zinfindel must that had been lost in the shuffle for over 6 months. They had spontaneously fermented with wild yeasts in the buckets. I racked them to the secondary, let them clear for a couple of months and then bottled. That certainly didn't cost much and it turned out very good. Then there's all of the ripe fruit that I get to pick through before it gets tossed. Bottles are free. I know more than enough people in the restaurant business to ensure an endless supply. My equipment has long since paid for itself. Chemicals and yeast are cheap. Corks are probably my biggest expense. Time spent mashing and cutting up fruit and whatever else needs to get done throughout the process probably has value but I consider that all free time. It's time that I'd be spending in front of the TV or wasting time on the internet so it's hard to put much value on that. I think that the most expensive wine that I've made in a while was a 1 gallon batch of welches juice wine from concentrate.

$10/bottle for wine you can make with frozen, store-bought ingredients at any time, $15 for wine this is special reserve, like ports or local estate fruit that is seasonal. My pecan or coconut--HA! To the highest bidder. That's a bi-otch to make. Magnums are at least $25, depending on the above. I recently had my wine valued at $56/bottle when a 6-bottle wine basket went for $310 at a charity silent auction. But...I don't SELL my wine. Nope. These are ferment-on-premise...the 'customer' sprinkles the yeast on the primary and I help with the rest.

I made a brunello that we used in a blind taste test against a $90 comercial wine. only slight differences detected and most preferred mine.

Back