What's wrong? Advice please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of grape wine in over 30 years. I planned to make 5 gal. I used 15# of store bought red grapes and 4 oranges and crushed them and let them sit for 4 days in a crock stirring 2 times daily. Then I added 2 gal water, nutrients , acid bend, tannin, meta, and pectic enzyme and waited 1 day and added 10# sugar dissolved in 2 1/2 gal warm water and hydrated yeast. It was bubbling slightly and the must is/was 70 degrees. I checked yesterday and today and the SG is 1.3. Isn't it supposed to be higher? I don't think my must was ever fermenting vigourously.

sounds like you are making sangria of some sort...also pectic often interferes w yeast activity

what was your initial sg? ( at the time of crush and before sugar addition)

It was not reading anything. The hydrometer was touching/sitting on the bottom of the cylinder.

then how did you read it the second time when you got the 1.13?

The first time I could not read it because it sat on the bottom of cylinder. After I added sugar and it has fermented for 4 days it now reads 1.3. NOT 1.03. 1.3 will only have a potential alcohol content of 4 or 5%.

Do hydrometers go as high as 1.3? That would be like 35% alcohol or something. Can you reread the hydrometer? 1.03 is 4-5% as you say.

The first time I could not read it because it sat on the bottom of cylinder. After I added sugar and it has fermented for 4 days it now reads 1.3. NOT 1.03. 1.3 will only have a potential alcohol content of 4 or 5%.

Well why don't you try taking some out and put it into a test tube to measure? And 1.030 will only give you ABV around 4% - 5% not 1.300. Where did you get a hydrometer that went up to 1.300?

take a step back and take another look at the Potential alc for a 1.13 sg reading

a 1.13 and then a final of 1.00 will give you 17.6%

was it 1.13?

Last edited:
If it is 1.3 (somehow) that would be over 40% ABV!

Don't see how any yeast could get started in this potion of sorts......

on your test tube how full did you fill it before putting your hydrometer in it

Sorry for the confusion. I am learning to read hydrometer. It is now at a reading of SG 1.03 which is PA of 4%. What can I do to get alcohol % higher? Does this mean it did not have enough sugar to begin with?

I filled it slowly until it was overflowing and the hydrometer never floated. Does that mean it did not have enough sugar?

Something is fishy here. If the hydrometer never floats, meaning it sinks to the bottom then you have a SG of less than .990 - lots less. Is it possible you have a crack in it and its taking on water or maybe the wine thief is not full enough to allow for you to take a proper measurement? I think we are missing a piece of the puzzle or maybe I'm not reading these posts correct.

Maybe you should post your recipe here. Adding sugar will make the hydrometer float - YES.

Sounds like you have too big of a primary bucket, there was not enough volume to take a reading. You need to syphon some into a test jar and take your readings that way. At this point it is too late to figure out what your starting gravity would be.

I started a batch of wine and at the beginning I could not take a SG reading because the hydrometer would not float in the test cylinder as i filled it up and when it got full it overflowed (the test cylinder). I added sugar and let it sit for 4 days and now it tests SG 1.03 I should have taken a reading at the beginning but since I didn't does this reading now of SG 1.03 mean nothing? I am wondering what to do now? It has been 5 days since adding yeast. Should I add more sugar to get the PA level higher or does the PA level now mean nothing since I did not take a reading at the beginning? Should I just continue to take SG readings and if so when should I put the must in a carboy?

No the hydrometer is not cracked or leaky - maybe no good though? I may have to forget about the hydrometer reading since I did not get a reading before I added sugar and yeast. Can someone please advise on what I can do now besides just throwing the must in the compost pile?

Put your hydrometer in some tap water and see if it reads close to 1.000.
The water has to be distilled water at 60 F to read exactly 1.000, but tap water will read close to it. At least this will tell you if the hydrometer is OK.

Latest posts

Back