What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water. I'm in my fasting period for blood work tomorrow a.m. Varis you are killing me with that Super Tuscan, I can smell it and almost taste it from here. I'll have two glasses tomorrow evening to make up for it.

Edit: oops, where did that bottle go? It was full just a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
A 2005 Gallo of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon. This was the last of that stock I laid away ~8 years ago as one of my first experiments in aging cheap wine. It was, frankly, really nice: smooth, rich, a very nice finish.

1st bottle of my 18-month-old CC Showcase Yakima Cabernet/Shiraz. One of my first blends. It is quite pleasing: only a soupçon of KT, fruity, berries, nice acidity and balance.

Hah! I have a new browser, and the spell checker added the cedilla to my c in soupçon.

Last edited:
Started with a Chilean Pinot Grigio. Cut through the cheese and toppings nicely but butted heads with the tomato sauce on the pizza. Should have eaten the "white" pizza my wife made for my daughter (Alfredo sauce based).

Moved on to a 6+ month old Viognier which I am really enjoying (Selection kit). I think it will be very good by Christmas. May take a bottle to dinner at my Mom's tomorrow night since I don't have a red to go with the flank steak she proposes to make.

Malbec time! After I polished off my WE SI Argentine Malbec, I opened a new commercial 'bec. Previously, I had only had a sample (from the beautiful young lady) in the grocery store. (Hmmm, I wonder why they do that? :D) I opened a bottle tonight -- It is called Lote 44, from Mendoza. Inky, vinous, and strong, but very smooth and refined. More like a bold Merlot than a Cab (which I more associate it with, compared to Merlot).

I guess I did not mention the best part: the price. It listed at $9, but my grocery store gives a 10% discount if you buy as few as 4 bottles, so down to $8.20. (Who buys fewer than 4 bottles? Sheesh! ;) )

Edited to correct: I had originally said that I opened a CC Showcase Argentinian Malbec. My mistake.

Last edited:
Paul, how is that CC Showcase Argentine Malbec coming along?
Mine is still not 'there' yet....

Paul, how is that CC Showcase Argentine Malbec coming along?
Mine is still not 'there' yet....

Ooops!! In the post above, I misspoke. I will fix it, but it was actually a WE SI Argentinian Malbec that I had the other night, not the CC Showcase.

The WE Malbec is a bit disappointing, frankly. It is thin and a bit sour. It showed great promise at bottling, so I put it into rotation early, at one year. It is now 22 mos. old, and has not improved a great deal.

First drink for the CC Showcase is scheduled for May 22, 2016. There is a rumor that patience is required for this hobby! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back