What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried this wine for my GFs birthday. We both really enjoyed it. Great wine for a great price.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1445462679.292447.jpg

Raspberry Wheat beer bottled about three weeks ago (one thing I love about beer making, quick turn-around). Can smell some berry in the nose and some in the taste. Clearer than I thought it would be, must have done a protein rest. Lighter bodied because of the wheat component, but looking at the recipe noticed I did throw some oats into the mash as well as some blackberries into the primary. Most of the raspberry flavor came from 1/2 a leftover f-pack from a Raspberry Rapture kit.

Wife seemed to like it so I put a few into the refrigerator for later.

10-22-15_raspberry-wheat.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1445551746.312969.jpg
Finish this off tonight. Simple table red easy on the nose and palate

Steve

Costco find! 2012 Zolo Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. 100% new French oak for 12 mo. This is what H3 Cabernet Sauvignon USED to taste like! Dang, can't keep my nose out of the glass the oak is so enticing. Lovely bouquet, long finish, just fantastic. My rating 91pts. Glad I bought two at $14!

325505.jpg

Doing a little "Battle of the Bands" tonight. My 2013 Amador Petite Sirah vs the Dark Horse 2013 Petite Sirah.

Mine: A little drier than I'd like, with strong tannin. Not enough fruit and maybe just a touch too much acid.
Dark Horse: Very nice fruit, but not what I see when I think of PS. Some obvious residual sugar, but a pretty nice wine overall.

Roughly 60% DH and 40% mine? Pretty freakin' fantastic!!

Both wines are enjoyable on their own. The DH I bought at Trader Joe's for $7.99. It's a complete steal at that price.

IMG_3212.jpg

Drinking, I dare say, a Niagara/Peach started in early February. I'm noticing almost all of the "welches" flavor has gone away. I think the 71B yeast rounded and added some flavors that have masked the Niagara a bit. The added frozen fruit helped too.

I'm starting a new batch using a Vintners Harvest Peach (96 oz), some Niagara/Peach concentrate (one can per gallon less than the batch I'm drinking), and a few pounds of Peach (4 lbs) and Mango (8 lbs), plus three nanas. Sitting in the bucket with 2x the normal pectic enzyme. Will test SG/TA/pH in the a.m. and go from there (currently at 5.5 gallons @ 1.065). Still planning to use the Lavin 71B yeasties. Might go buy some more frozen peaches as they were $2.50 per lb.

My 2012 Saldo (Balance)

75% Zin, 25% Cab Sauv, Syrah, Petit Sirah.

Nice mix of French oak and American oak. Hitting its stride just now. Needs about 20 mins of air and then silky, seductive and mesmerizing.

Paired very well with some left over ribs. :hug

IMG_0756.jpg

I am drinking one of the last of my Cherry Zinfandel that I made about 3 years ago. It was a Zinfandel bucket from California to which I added a 96 oz. can of black cherries. Turned out very well if I must say so myself!

Rocky, was that one of the Vintner's Harvest 96 oz cans? Just curious, sounds like something to attempt or maybe just think about.

I went back to my records and it wasn't a juice bucket, it was a WE Eclipse Zinfandel kit and I added Vintner's Harvest Cherries. The kit came with grape skins so the cherries were in addition to the skins.

Latest posts

Back