What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a few Monte's when they made the WS list for Top 100 wines a few years back. First bottle was pretty good but others I subsequently purchased had gone seriously down hill within the same year they were nominated. No staying power, no aging potential. Have not bought a bottle since.

Interesting! The Montepulcianos mentioned in the first five posts are from a completely different region than the Monte in the latest post. Montepulciano d'Abruzzo are named after the grape (Montepulciano), and is grown in the Abruzzi (umm, obviously). Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Rosso di Montepulciano are both named after the small town in Tuscany where they are grown, and are made from mostly from Sangiovese. Rosso di Montepulciano is the "little brother" to Vino Nobile, requiring less aging time, etc.

Interesting! The Montepulcianos mentioned in the first five posts are from a completely different region than the Monte in the latest post. Montepulciano d'Abruzzo are named after the grape (Montepulciano), and is grown in the Abruzzi (umm, obviously). Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Rosso di Montepulciano are both named after the small town in Tuscany where they are grown, and are made from mostly from Sangiovese. Rosso di Montepulciano is the "little brother" to Vino Nobile, requiring less aging time, etc.

Very good synopsis. I would only add that Vino Nobile di Montepulciano carries the prestigious DOCG designation while Rosso di Montepulciano has the slightly lower DOC designation. I have had both and both are excellent wines. Vino Nobile, along with Brunello di Montalcino are my two favorite Italian wines.

Rose from nearby Sunset Hills Vineyard. It's dark for a Rose. Really bright acidity and great strawberry notes. If I remember correctly, this is from Chambourcin.

Daughter called. Their hockey game is running late and my wife is with the other daughter at cheerleading practice, so I don't have to pick up my daughter.

Too late to really get involved in a project so I cracked a bottle of a Concord blend (2/3 Concord, 1/3 Niagara, 1 light american oak spiral, backsweetened to 1.001), not bad for 8 months old. Not my favorite wine (made for my wife) but it will do the trick tonight. Still has that Concord aftertaste and I can't discern the oak at all.

Some cheapo Island Mist Peach Chardonnay started May 13. Really good..!! I sweeten it a bit high but I bumped the SG so the higher alcohol compensates.

And we are assuming it is really good? I love Zinfandel, would have made it if I hadn't found the local grapes. Have you ever compared the Fall Californian to the Chilean that Harford gets? Just curious.

Delightful (sorry to rub it in). You could certainly do a Chilean Zin from Harford, or frozen must from M&M.

I am making another batch from Harford as we speak, along with the other seven batches, because the hubby and I love Zinfandel.

Last edited:
You aren't rubbing it in. I do wish you could beam a glass worth up here right now.

When you first start making wine there are too many varieties to make all at once. I didn't want to make a Zin as my first batch from buckets/grapes because if I messed it up, I wouldn't want to make it again, and I just like it too much. I want to "practice" on other varieties, and with help from this forum I haven't made an undrinkable wine yet.

I love Zins from warmer areas, there are so many fascinating flavors that they produce.

Killed the last 4 Primaries this afternoon! Celebrated with a bottle of my 2012 "Saldo" (Lodi, CA) which means "balance" in Spanish. A blend of 85% Zin, 9% Syrah, 6% Petit Sirah. Not drinkable at one year, just barely drinkable at two years. At three years, simply stunning with about a 30 min decant. LOL

I make them big, bold and cellar worthy. LOL

Last edited:
Last nights quaff with dinner! 2013 Les Trouve's GSM blend. This is a second tier label from Avennia out of WA State. They got their hands on some bulk juice and blended it up. After about 25 mins this stuff was sailing. Awesome wine at a great price.

IMG_0710.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back