What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing really but did taste my dandelion wine I started in May I was hesitant cuz I heard it takes some time to turn the corner but I'm actually proud to say I made this, and from weeds to boot! And it's only been not even 4 months! It needs more time of course but the flavor is awesome already! Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Nothing really but did taste my dandelion wine I started in May I was hesitant cuz I heard it takes some time to turn the corner but I'm actually proud to say I made this, and from weeds to boot! And it's only been not even 4 months! It needs more time of course but the flavor is awesome already! Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Good for you, BarbieK.

Your comment "and from weeds to boot!" brought to mind an amusing incident from my childhood. One of our favorite salads was dandelion greens, soft-boiled egg, olives, onions and garlic with vinegar and oil dressing. We used to dig the dandelions right out of the lawn in the Spring. Well, my Mom was doing this and a neighbor, Mr. L---- called over the hedge, "Aren't those dandelion annoying, Mrs. R----?" She agreed that they were and the only way to control them was to dig them out root and all. Our neighbor had no idea that they were to be a favorite part of our dinner that evening. We were the only Italians "within a day's ride" of where we lived. Now, many years later, I see dandelion in the Produce Section at the grocery store.

And, yes, even though we lived next door to them for more than 25 years, it was always Mr. and Mrs. with that family. They were very proper (MIT engineer) and very religious.

How the times have changed.

Drinking a Thunder Ridge Dornfelder. Given to me by the owner when I went to pick the grapes up today. Trying to describe it is going to be a problem. Can't say I've tasted anything quite like it. Intriguing acids, mouth feel along the lines of a Chianti, not too heavy, not too weak. Fruity nose, nice color (hope mine is that dark). Definitely oaked and dry.

I think I need to take a sensory evaluation class (which is offered locally as part of an Enology degree). Very interesting. I'm going to be making a wine that not very many people have tried or made around here.

This is a Dornfelder/Regent blend and I don't know the percentages. He added the Regent for some more body. He said he put it through an MLF with VP41. It is last years vintage so it is very young. Could probably add some tannins if I want to age longer. NOT, I'll do that when I get some more grapes next year, yea that's what I'll do.

9-12-15_wine.jpg

My 2014 Chilean Carmenere. Very good at 18 months, can't wait for another few months of aging, should be stellar.

Makers Mark Bourbon. 3 fingers. Rocks.

Crush is done but the fun is just starting if you know what I mean!

I got some stories for another day but lets just say today we (SWMBO and I) crushed ~1100lbs of grapes just the two of us........

More than I ordered so what happened? Tell you tomorrow. I am going to bed now!

Nice to see some Eagles green on that plate! You should have saved some of those bottles to drown your sorrows after the week 6 matchup in Philly.

Actually I am rooting for the Giants tonight, they've always had some class whether they win or lose. Never liked those Cowgirls though. Can't imagine having Jerry as an owner.

94pts WS Only made one year. 2010 Avennia "Parapine" Syrah. Felt like robing the cradle....... Could have waited another 5 years easily. Good thing I have another bottle to sit and sit and sit...... LOL

IMG_0688.jpg

Batch #5 - Niagara infused with peaches and mangos. Yeast pitched 2-6-15. Haven't tried any in two or three months. Damn this is good. Just gave a sample to my wife going to bed (she gets up at 4 am, yikes), and had to wrestle away the glass with a "it's mine, all mine, keep your grubby hands off my wine".

Guess Church may be a good option for me tomorrow morning.

On the second glass at this point. The bottle may be in jeopardy. It really tastes better than the last sampling. Luckily it is a UM service so I don't have to get there until 9 am (with four offspring in tow). Problem is if some of the younger kids show up I'm supposed to teach them something about God. Hopefully it won't be praying to have a hangover lifted...But this is first class quality hooch, no need to worry about the morning after effects, there usually aren't any (have 25% Welsh blood, dissolves alcohol on contact).

The morning did come and I did get the kids to Church on time. Did blank on one of the verses of the Lord's Prayer, must have been stage fright. Moosehead started at 12:01 pm. Feel much better now. Have to keep it in check since the Eagles don't play the Cowgirls until 4:25.

Edit: Maybe the Eagles should be renamed the pigeons. Or maybe the Philadelphia Phluff. Two nasty games in a row.

Last edited:
last two nights. I tasted two wines I made from Home Winery concentrate and was very happy with the results. A chardonnay that tasted much better the second day and a pinot grigio. I will have to do these again.

Back