What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I have been testing all my commercials whites the last 6 months now. All of them are in the 3.1 to 3.2 range. All kits I have made have finished out in the 3.3-3.4 range. So...... instead of some people who think you need to add 4 cups of sugar to bring your white wines up to 14.1% ABV........

I have been (secretly) adding tartaric to lower the pH down....... increasing the acid and the zing on the tongue. That is the secret! Shhhhhhhh.......

Last edited:
Yummmm, blue cheeeeeeese (in a Homer Simpson voice).

Drinking a Niagara Peach/Mango infused wine. I am very surprised that this tastes so good. Only opened a bottle because we've been giving so much away and keep getting rave reviews. Thought that free wine equals rave reviews (so they get more free wine). But this actually is nicely balanced for 8-9 months old. Doesn't taste at all like Welches (sorry JohnT). The 71B-1112 yeast has rounded out the acidity.

I will definitely make this again. I can only imagine what a 90% fresh peach / 10 % mango wine would taste like. Will have to consider making that in the near future.

Edit: May not make it to work tomorrow if I keep hammering this bottle...it has some kick to it.

Last edited:
" I will definitely make this again "

Craig, is that a kit wine ? If so what tweaks did you do ?
Thanks, Bakervinyard

Not a kit. An experiment into the wild world of Welches. 17 cans of frozen Welches White Grape Peach Concentrate, Sugar and water to top up to 6 gallons with a SG of 1.085 (3.5 lbs sugar), 2 lbs of both frozen mangos and peaches in a paint strainer bag, added pectic enzyme, pitched 71B-1122 after 12 hours. After fermenting, Kmeta and sorbate and added Welches white grape peach juice to a SG of 1.003 if I remember correctly (can't find that scrap of paper at the moment, will have to take a measurement when I open up the next bottle). Ending pH of 3.59 and a TA of 5.9 g/L.

Everyone who has tried it loves it. It is best described as a peach infused white wine. Rounded with a lot of depth to the flavor, that is what surprises me the most. That's why I don't know if I could drink a 100% peach wine, the flavor would probably be so over the top it would put me in the grave, but with a smile on my face.

Craig, Thanks for the infomation. I make the Peach Chardonnay Island Mist kit and my kids love it. I'll have to try your recipe next time.
Thanks, Bakervinyard

Breaking in to the first of three bottles of this guy. 2012 Proper Syrah from the Rocks of Milton Freewater AVA. Loads of dark fruits, blackberry, plum, cherry. Nice oak and then that rocks funk of green olive-accented tapenade. 93pts Wine Spectator. Awesome wine!

1356649274_6678_375x500.jpg

Virginia wines from Washington grapes? You bet! Tonight I'm enjoying a 2013 Tempranillo from 8 Chains North in nearby Waterford, VA. A co-worker recently introduced me to the place. They not only grow their own grapes that produce very good wines, but they also source them from Snipes Mountain AVA in the Yakima Valley. I was out there (Waterford, not Snipes Mountain) a few weeks ago and came home with some of the Cabernet. They also have a Syrah and a Tempranillo that were not available at the time. That same co-worker was out there again last weekend and brought me a bottle, offering to trade for some of my Blueberry Port when I bottle it. The Tempranillo is very nice. Good fruit with a hint of spice. A slight bite on the finish. Drinking very nicely now, but I think this will be pretty awesome in another year.

IMG_3094.jpg

Going the beer route so far tonight. Couldn't help but stick a homebrew in the fridge, vintage 8-3-15. Normally I age these longer and force carbonate in the keg, but I wanted a beer for opening weekend of the NFL, specifically MNF with the Eagles playing the Falcons. Since my beer refrigerator died I need to bottle.

Pale Ale; original SG 1.046 (5% ABV), 36.9 IBUs; 7.75 lbs pale ale malt (1/2 Maris Otter, 1/2 Briess) and 1/2 lb 60L Crystal/Caramel malt, Cascade leaf hops for all additions. US-5 (California Ale yeast). Fermented at 68*F.

Not ready quite yet. May need to move it to a warmer environment. starting to carbonate, but an all grain beer normally has a head that doesn't quit. Needs to clear a bit more too. Kind of blows me away thinking about drinking a beverage that has only been bottled for two weeks or so. Guess this wine thing is becoming commonplace in my life and my mind.

Oh, the flavor is very good, will get better with some time.

9-4-15_beer.jpg

Opened a 19-month-old CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah. Coming along nicely. One thing that strikes me is that the varietal characteristics of Syrah are quite evident. This pleases me, since a lot of kit wines tend to taste similar. It is not a great wine, but it is pretty good!

Opened a 19-month-old CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah. Coming along nicely. One thing that strikes me is that the varietal characteristics of Syrah are quite evident. This pleases me, since a lot of kit wines tend to taste similar. It is not a great wine, but it is pretty good!

I'm glad to hear you say that. Mine is about the same age, but I think it screams 'kit'. Lot's of potential, but I think its at least 6 months off.

A friend came over and brought some wine. Between that, wine I had open, and wine I opened, we had 5 different drinks. She brought a Napa Rutherford Hill Sauvignon Blanc, and when we killed that during appetizers, we followed up with a WE Selection Viognier I had open. We also had part of a 2009 Alyssa southern Rhone blend, and then I opened up one of my 22-month-old CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab. Very, very nice. After she left, I am sipping on my 17-month-old CC Showcase Yakima Syrahs opened a few nights ago, and referenced two posts above. Eclectic and enjoyable evening, and, believe it or not, I have not even overindulged!

A friend came over and brought some wine. Between that, wine I had open, and wine I opened, we had 5 different drinks. She brought a Napa Rutherford Hill Sauvignon Blanc, and when we killed that during appetizers, we followed up with a WE Selection Viognier I had open. We also had part of a 2009 Alyssa southern Rhone blend, and then I opened up one of my 22-month-old CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab. Very, very nice. After she left, I am sipping on my 17-month-old CC Showcase Yakima Syrahs opened a few nights ago, and referenced two posts above. Eclectic and enjoyable evening, and, believe it or not, I have not even overindulged!

And you let her go after so many drinks? :D (j/k)

Wow, you were kicking ash....:dg:dg

And you let her go after so many drinks? :D (j/k)

Uhh, yeah, my wife and I were sorry to see her go, but all good things must come to an end! :D

Wow, you were kicking ash....:dg:dg

Yeah, that post sounds worse in the light of day than it did last night!! :spm

Was digging in my small cellar last night and I found an old bottle that needed drank. My brother came up tonight for supper, so we popped it open. It was not as good as it would have been a few years ago, but it was still excellent.

LgVw1Jqh.jpg

lePLtNlh.jpg

We started the evening with my 2013 Chilean Malbec - a juice bucket with 18lbs of grapes added. Really nice, and well received by our new neighbors. Followed that up with the 2013 CC LR Grand Red. Even better reviews. I'm down to 2 bottles of this though. :( We went next door for dessert. Kids did s'mores on the neighbor's fire pit while the grown ups took in a little Black Forest Port.

Was digging in my small cellar last night and I found an old bottle that needed drank. My brother came up tonight for supper, so we popped it open. It was not as good as it would have been a few years ago, but it was still excellent.

Cody, just curious: Are you from the Pittsburgh area? There are tons here from the 'burgh.

Latest posts

Back