What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made by a Frat? :dg

this bad boy

371330.jpg

... incredible.

Entertaining again tonight. Started with a 2010 Palazzo della Torre Veronese, followed by a 2008 Tenuta del portale Aglianico del Vulture Riserva. Then dessert and some homemade limoncello and all was good.

Friends over for dinner last night. Pizza's on the Kettle Pizza Oven . Pulled out a bottle of 2010 Efeste UPRIGHT Merlot (as opposed to "Sideways") :)

As well as a bottle of 2009 Saviah Cellars "Big Sky Cuvee" Merlot based Bordeaux blend. Both were yummy but the Big Sky Cuvee was the standout of the the evening!

dsc05225.jpg

b47c1962c11904d89111500ca97dee8d.jpg

Tonight, I opened a bottle of 2005 Gallo of Sonoma Cab Sauv. This was one of the last of my experiments in aging relatively cheap wines, i.e., about $10 at the time. It has held up quite nicely. Lots of mineral, fruit has receded a bit, nice tannins, a bit of earth or smoke. I am happy with it (only one bottle left).

As a similar, but more extreme, example, I was at a friend's home last night who is starting to realize that he has more wine stored than years on this Earth left would warrant. He opened for us a nice 1985 (!) Château Olivier, from Léognan in Graves. This is a Grand Cru classé.
This wine was enjoyable, but it was past its peak, I would assert. However, I felt a little abashed about this pronouncement: Upon opening, we were taking the first sips, and the four of us were circumspect in our assessments. After some timorous praises, I offered that, while very nice, it was certainly past its prime. (The wine was quite oxidized and even a little cloudy.) That is not to say it was not enjoyable: it was quite tasty, and showed strong minerality, but the color was poor (a bit brown) and the flavor a bit off, and even a touch sour. I felt a little creepy to be criticizing the wine that he saved for 30 years just to serve to me, but I felt like I had to be honest.
However, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum. Contrary to my expectations, the wine opened up over the next 20 minutes. I thought that would not happen to such an aged wine, but it changed remarkably, and for the better. We enjoyed quaffing it so much that we were fighting for the dregs!

Another disquieting event happened during all of this. Because we were drinking a wine that was nearly exactly 30 years old, I proposed that we share what we were each doing in 1985. Seemed harmless and fun! Of the four of us, the host is in his mid 70s, two are about 50, and one, whom I had never met before, was in her 40s. I went first, and I had graduated from college that year, and shared stories about transitioning from driving a wholesale produce truck one day to working as a nuclear physicist the next day. Another party had a similarly profound transition that year, while the "codger" was in mid-career that year. However, little did I know, but the 40-something, whom I did not know, was discomfited by this (seemingly harmless) exercise. She was an adopted child, who was being terribly abused by her adoptive parents during this year. My question put her on the spot and on her back heel in a way that I did not anticipate and deeply regret. :(

Paul,

First, I think that should be a goal of every wine lover (to have more wine than years left on the planet)!

I have had a very similar experience with a 30+ year old bottle of wine. The lesson I learned is that wine of that age should always be decanted.

I am sorry to hear of the memories of abuse. She should focus on how well her life improved since that year and how she now has a loving and caring family .

Pinot Gris Passport series, young but drinking left over and for this young it is already tasting 'sabroso' [emoji485][emoji485]ImageUploadedByWine Making1440542322.367449.jpg

My wife and I had a White Muskadine that we bottled 7-11-15 it is coming along nicely, we had it with Italian unbreaded chicken and cheese ravoli.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Last edited:
It was going to be an H3 cab or a chateau ste michelle cab. Thought we were having pasta but my wife made a taco bar so a cold corona and then back to working on my press. Cutting and fitting angles sucks now relaxing with a Balvinie scotch.

In your honor as I'm playing my CDs (started a terrible habit the other night) I'm playing Alannah Myles - Black Velvet and raising an ounce of the same. Thanks for the idea, now I need to go to bed pronto.

Not bad, have to try this more often!

Last edited:
In your honor as I'm playing my CDs (started a terrible habit the other night) I'm playing Alannah Myles - Black Velvet and raising an ounce of the same. Thanks for the idea, now I need to go to bed pronto.

Not bad, have to try this more often!

BV is good for you! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Picked this up at Costco and paired it with the grilled hangar steak the other night at the concert. 2012 Norton Privada Malbec blend. 93pts Wine Spectator and #48 on the list of top 100 wines last year. ~$20 and definitely 5 STAR QPR wine. Pretty available at some of the other large chains as well like Total Wine etc. Awesome wine that went really well with dinner!

Privada2012-2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I'll have to head to Total Wine this weekend and see if I can find it.

Tonight, the 2014 LR Tempranillo Garnacha is in my glass. This is a Kenridge (Cellar Craft) limited release. I started it in January of last year, bottled in Nov. It has a little astringency, nice fruit, and subtle oak. I'd say it needs another 6 months in the bottle, but all in all, not a bad wine.

2012 Poet's Leap Riesling (Long Shadow's) from WA State of course. Picked it up at the winery 2 yeas ago and still a killer. pH was 3.04 (doing research of course) so plenty of acid and just a little sugar to balance a nice little Buffalo bite's salad with bleu cheese. Very nice pairing.

14549e6fbbacb2cbe94d75b3c983b109.jpg

Back