What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shared these with some good friends over the weekend. I decided to start dipping into my "Double-Secret" stash because.... you never know...

We started with the 1982 Chateau Maucaillou. Considering that this was a 33 year old bottle of wine, it held up well. It was light and I feel that the flavor was slightly faded, but otherwise this was spectacular.

Once complete, our host decided to dip into her own stash and pulled a Stag's Leap cask 23. This wine is a select wine made by the late, great Warren Winiarski. This was exceptional!!!!

Now those are some really interesting and special bottles you guys enjoyed. Did the Maucaillou have any earth/ mushroom notes? Also how did the wine fair over the time once the cork was pulled?

Now those are some really interesting and special bottles you guys enjoyed. Did the Maucaillou have any earth/ mushroom notes? Also how did the wine fair over the time once the cork was pulled?

It did hold up rather well and did have a nice light fruity theme. I did not really pick up on any "earth" tones.

FYI, this was a rather special occasion. We pulled our best to toast a dearly departed friend who's memorial service was that weekend.

Here's to you Bob!!!!

It did hold up rather well and did have a nice light fruity theme. I did not really pick up on any "earth" tones.

FYI, this was a rather special occasion. We pulled our best to toast a dearly departed friend who's memorial service was that weekend.

Here's to you Bob!!!!

I am sorry for your loss.

Had a half a glass of Stags Leap Merlot left after bottling this morning and had that with lunch. Had another half glass of WS Super Tuscan left after topping up the barrel just now. Then moving on to my original selection for the evening: 2014 LE Grenache Rose.

I have 2 1.5L bottles left of that 2014 Grenache Rose...need to pop one open to see how it tastes.. [emoji3]

2013 Amador County Petit Sirah. My first wine from grapes. Inky dark and staining the glass. Very dry, but dark fruit in the background. It's coming along nicely.

2013 juice bucket Carmenere. Now that it has come around, it is pretty darn enjoyable. Had some green pepper early on, but that has completely aged out now. Could have used a tad more tannin and I'd appreciate some more fruit. But for my first attempt at a wine with grapes (juice bucket, plus 18lbs fresh grapes), its pretty nice.

En Primeur Amarone. Two years old. Needs a little more time, but very nice now.

A Monastrell from Jumilla, Spain, called Juan Gil (2012). (As many of you know, Monastrell is the same grape as Mourvedre.) It was yummy -- full bodied and nice, firm tannins.

Now that it is gone, my CC Showcase Zinfandel that I am drinking next seems like a 98-lb weakling by comparison!

Last edited:
My 2014 Chilean Carmenere, needs more rest, and a glass or 3 of the 2014 Dolcetto I bottled this evening. Easily the best I've done so far.

Last edited:
Opened my second bottle ever of my (now) 21-month-old CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab. It is delightful.

It shows a touch of sweetness, sort of like one of those Apothic or Carnivor blends. Anyone notice this? It also could just be due to my (lack of) winemaking skilz; this was one of my first few batches (#5), and it only got to 0.995, whereas nearly everything else I have made has gotten to about 0.991 to 0.993. The only tweak was using RC212 yeast.

The taste is very nice; I am quite pleased. Still showing lots of fruit at the moment. Very full mouthfeel, nice finish -- a real winner.

Latest posts

Back