What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a bottle from the vineyard owner I got the Chardonel from. Both my wife and I like it, has oak but it is in the background, not a primary flavor. Both of us noted that the nose reminded us of the our Chilean Pinot Grigio. Big fruit flavor in the finish, a very big white wine, much enjoyed. Hoping my batch turns out as well.

9-27-15_chardonel.jpg

CC Showcase Yakima Syrah. 21 months old and pretty good with about an hour of decanting. Another 6 months in the bottle and we should be where we want :re

2015 WGD Fair play Malbec. 10 days old. 1.106 to .994 possibly still going. Just racked off gross lees and had a glass left over. Dry. Gripping tannins and amazing aroma and flavor. Might not make it to the barrel [emoji7]ImageUploadedByWine Making1443741260.953135.jpg

2012 Cellar Craft LR Red Mountain Trio. 33 months old. Very nice. It got extra oak, tannin and some barrel time.

Selection Viognier I made last April, so only 6 months old. Rebottled because of excessive carbonation, had some left over. Wife doesn't like as much anymore because it is "too dry" for her. I think it tastes very good and expect it will be really good by Christmas. Another wine I can call "mine, all mine". Now if only the perception of the Pinot Grigio would do the same...

2014 cab/merlot frozen grapes. First foray into frozen musts. The cab finished at 1.004 so a bit sweet for my taste. Coming out of the barrel this week. We'll see where this goes.

Last nights wine. 94pts WS. Drinking exceptionally well right now. Still have one more bottle in the cellar. This is not even the "reserve" cabernet from Januik. Awesome sauce!

IMG_0728.jpg

My 2014 Chilean Carmenere. Quite tasty.

Matty - I had a Carmenere for the first time on Friday night. This one was very earthy on the nose which kind of ruined it for me. Are the kits earthy like that?

Last night, we had a 2012 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Artemis Cabernet and a Two Hands Sexy Beast Cabernet (which drank more like a Petite Sirah).

Matty - I had a Carmenere for the first time on Friday night. This one was very earthy on the nose which kind of ruined it for me. Are the kits earthy like that?

Last night, we had a 2012 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Artemis Cabernet and a Two Hands Sexy Beast Cabernet (which drank more like a Petite Sirah).

Not sure about the kits, mine was made from a juice bucket. However, Carmenere does have an earthy quality (to me atleast) but also some nice fruit flavors. My wife and I like it for its versatility, we can drink it on a random Tuesday evening or pair it with a nice grilled steak dinner on the weekend. My Carmenere is at 18 months and finally starting to come around.

Last edited:

I agree that many Carmeneres are earthy. However, I believe this may have as much to do with the terroir as the grape. Most Carmeneres that are available here are from Chile, and I suspect that much Chilean terroir promotes this earthiness. (In some, I swear I can taste the dirt!) Kind of reminds me of certain Merlots from eastern Washington.

Note that the earthiness conferred by the terroir is likely not directly from the soil itself, but a byproduct of the (lack of) nutrients in it: http://palatepress.com/2012/03/wine/minerality-in-wine-taken-for-granite/

I would love to try a Carmenere from, say, Lodi or Sonoma and see what that is like.

Super Tuscan, I think I started this Dec 2013 and it in not "there" yet but very good..

ImageUploadedByWine Making1444084386.075929.jpg

Back