What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last weekend was a big family weekend... my daughter’s last dance recital before she goes off to college and Fathers Day (I butchered a tenderloin into filets... wrapped with bacon and grilled - awesome). We opened a French Rose, French Merlot, Amarone and Luna Bianca Chard. A good time was had by all.

This is a delayed post and a shout out to ajmassa5983. Last year at the M.A.N.E. meet up at Split Rock he gave me a bottle of his Bravado which I believe was a Super Tuscon kit. We sipped this a couple weeks back next to a Rossa Ardente kit I made. Similar flavor profiles, but A.J.'s was bolder, dryer, and had more body.

Very nice bottle. I hope the Super Tuscan kit I have aging comes out this well. A.J. - I owe you one!

upload_2019-6-19_9-18-22.png

Last weekend was a big family weekend... my daughter’s last dance recital before she goes off to college and Fathers Day (I butchered a tenderloin into filets... wrapped with bacon and grilled - awesome). We opened a French Rose, French Merlot, Amarone and Luna Bianca Chard. A good time was had by all.
So I see what you drank, what did everyone else have? :)

We must have been thinking alike. I cut up a 1/2 tenderloin into steaks, it was wonderful. The best part is my oldest daughter was at camp and I had a filet sandwich for lunch the next day!

Lanza zin from an all grape batch started 09-2016. It has really changed since I tasted it last. Oak from xoakers has died back nicely, not the predominate flavor anymore. Nice spicy, juicy flavor, oak up front, cherries and some plum in the mid palette, dry tannic finish. Still needs some time, but I'm happier than the last taste test. We'll see what @heatherd thinks if she ever gets back from dinner. Pretty soon it will be lights out for my wife and I, I'm tired.

06-22-2019_lanza-zin.jpg

2017 WE Lodi Cab started 1/1/18, bottled 7/7/2018. First taste: It's a little young tasting and jammy with little or no nose at this point. My initial thought was "bubble gum" as this was before I stopped adding sorbate. Mrs. Burgin said it tasted a bit tannic. She likes a smooth wine but I don't mind tannic. 45 minutes after decanting I get cranberry, spice and dark chocolate. Wine has beautiful legs.

I think I will make this again. However, with how long it takes to come around, it could be a few years before I get the courage to spend another $150 on this kit. And, by then I'll likely be out of bottles and waiting again...lol.

Last edited:
Tonight started with a Vignoles wine from a local winery Blumenhof official name Utopia. Nice pineapple and lemon notes. Not much in the nose, but mouth filling for a white. Second bottle was a 2017 St. Vincent Rose,made in my basement. Noise doesn't provide much, maybe a hint of high alcohol, but it isn't, only about 12% abv. The taste is of strawberry and light lemon notes, with a hint of apples on the finish.

Picked up a Dreaming Tree Rose tonight. I'm a big Dave Matthews fan (musically) and enjoy these wines, but find them to be pretty 'regular'. This Rose was very nice. I'll probably buy more. Not astounding, but very much worth the price of admission.

Picked up a Dreaming Tree Rose tonight. I'm a big Dave Matthews fan (musically) and enjoy these wines, but find them to be pretty 'regular'. This Rose was very nice. I'll probably buy more. Not astounding, but very much worth the price of admission.
I saw a review from a sommelier about all the DMB wines. This person couldn't stand Crush, like the Rose and Pinot Noir, gave the rest a passing grade as I recall. I'm okay with all of them.

I saw a review from a sommelier about all the DMB wines. This person couldn't stand Crush, like the Rose and Pinot Noir, gave the rest a passing grade as I recall. I'm okay with all of them.

I agree. I'm not crazy about Crush (the wine, not the song). But most of the Dreaming Tree wines are perfectly acceptable. Somewhat forgettable, but I think they are worth the price of admission.

I need to get to Blenheim (Dave's winery in Charlottesville). I've heard pretty good things.

I agree. I'm not crazy about Crush (the wine, not the song). But most of the Dreaming Tree wines are perfectly acceptable. Somewhat forgettable, but I think they are worth the price of admission.

I need to get to Blenheim (Dave's winery in Charlottesville). I've heard pretty good things.

Here is the link to the article. I couldn't find it last night from my tablet, but computer found it right off.
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/dave-matthews-dreaming-tree-wine-review

favorite quote, but then I love when people hold back how they really feel about things:
"""I hate this. This is an abomination. This should not exist," Woodward winced.""

Dreaming Tree emailed an offer, basically 10% off or 12.75 per bottle, ordered all 6 types only to find out they can't ship the Reds to Arizona. But I can buy the reds in WalMart??? Whats up with that??

I can get it cheaper at local stores than I can directly from them, even when they offer discounts. I don't get it.

Started early today with a little light French fare. OK, maybe not so light. Got a hot tip on this and ordered a case of futures for under 20 buck per bottle. My first bottle, it’s really nice, WA 92+ .
5CCCB1DF-561A-4C76-BB6C-30B0CEEA319C.jpeg

Nice summer porch pounder for sure.......

Pretty good price. You sure it wasn't under $30 a bottle by the case?

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 2.08.09 PM.png

Last edited:
Back