What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well today was my father's 80th birthday party .
We went to a local steakhouse for their Sunday brunch buffet .
They had everything they had breakfast they had lunch they had dinner .
All the excellent . The eggplant was awesome , and the food at the carving station was worth two trips . I barely got through the birthday cake . Man oh man , am I stuffed . Tomorrow it's a cuppa soup only!

You own a WSM and you did ribs in the oven? Sacrilege!!! :p

They look good! I like the idea of 'recycling' the drippings from the foil.

Only reason I did it in the oven is that I knew I wouldn't get home from the picnic until 3:30 - 4 pm. Not enough time to get the WSM fired up and do the ribs justice.

Juice recycling credits to Alton Brown (ribs show, circa early 2000s or so).

Was a beautiful day and WISHED I could have been home to enjoy some smokin/grillin, but when the wifey works every other weekend I have to pay attention to the kids. Actually had a really good time, it's a beautiful state park and so close it is a crime we don't go their more often (within 30 minutes).

First time I tried this, ribs in the oven at 225*F for four hours. Two racks, and here's the results. Guess that's my dinner or lunch tomorrow...I'd guess each rack was 3 lbs and I took the goodies in the foil and boiled down for a mopping sauce and finished them on the grill. Couldn't keep them from falling apart, kids have already requested them again.

That is almost exactly how I cook Ribs and they are perfect every time. I bake them with a rub for three hours at 225°. I also add one bottle of beer to the pan. I do three racks at a time (thats how you buy them a Sam's Club). I tightly cover the pan with foil. After three hours I turn the heat up to 350° for one more hour. After the forth hour I remove from the oven and let them rest. Next I put them on the grill for one bottle of Barbecue sauce. I just keep applying it and turning them as the sauce caramelizes until the bottle is gone. The whole grill process takes about 10-15 minutes.

That's pretty darn close to what I did. Just need a way to transfer them back off the grill without falling into a bunch of large pieces. I was really impressed (as the children were) on how tender they became.

Can't add the beer (used to) because I have a gluten intolerant kid. Threw in some watered down GF Worcestershire Sauce in the beginning for added moisture.

Did miss the smoke element. Using the WSM really adds a nice component with the charcoal/added wood chips.

Always looking for recipes I can prepare in advance so that my wife can cook them up. She has classes starting Monday and with the kids extracurricular activities we need easy meal ideas. They can't depend on me to cook during the school year since I can't leave for work until my youngest gets on the bus at 8:25 am (I rarely get home before 6:15 pm). Pulled crockpot chicken thighs and oven ribs are new additions this year.

Last edited:
Only reason I did it in the oven is that I knew I wouldn't get home from the picnic until 3:30 - 4 pm. Not enough time to get the WSM fired up and do the ribs justice.

Was a beautiful day and WISHED I could have been home to enjoy some smokin/grillin, but when the wifey works every other weekend I have to pay attention to the kids. Actually had a really good time, it's a beautiful state park and so close it is a crime we don't go their more often (within 30 minutes).

I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time. I know schedules often require that we get the food on the table the best way we can based on time available and coordination of schedules. To pull off ribs that good and that quickly is a huge success. ;)

Last edited:
I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time. I know schedules often require that we get the food on the table the best way we can based on time available and coordination of schedules. To pull off ribs that good and that quickly is a huge success. ;)

I absolutely know you are giving me a hard time and love it!

It was such a beautiful day that it just urked me to not be able to be home and watch those ribs slowly cook on the WSM. But I have to grow up and realize that sometimes it's more important to do things that my kids feel are a priority. Someday they will be long gone and doing things with their families, I'll have plenty of time to cook those ribs low and slow on some charcoal and merlot soaked oak chips.

Please keep giving me a hard time, I deserve it (ask my wife).

Only reason

Was that the "Who loves your baby back" episode of "Good Eats".

That is the same method I use and (unless you have a smoker and really know how to use it) is hands down the best way to do ribs.

Can't remember the exact episode, but that may very well have been it. I think he started out making the ribs in foil, doing a dry rub, letting it sit in the fridge for a while, adding a flavorful liquid and braising them in the oven, then cooking down said liquid and using it as a finishing sauce and browning under the broiler. Does that sound familiar?

It's just easier and less messy to use the grill to finish them off. Also gives me a reason to open another beer, like I ever really need one!

That is the episode!

I, like him, dry rub and overnight fridge.

I also a flavor liquid of white wine, worchestershire sauce, garlic, and honey.

I then bake them at 275 for 3 hours.

But this is where we differ. I toss out the brazing liquid, and finish them on the grill with some BBQ sauce.

Yum!

Now you've done it. I started watching some other Good Eats shows I had captured off of cable, when we used to pay through the nose for that. Reviewed the pizza episode and pretty much make the dough the way he does, I just don't let it rest overnight in the fridge, only a couple hours for me.

Watched the pulled pork one where he makes a ceramic cooker out of a large flower pot while he's on set filming "Good Eats, the Movie". Now I'm hankering for a pork butt done all day on the WSM, hope the weather is good this weekend. Might have to fashion a makeshift tent over it if it does rain.

That's pretty darn close to what I did. Just need a way to transfer them back off the grill without falling into a bunch of large pieces. I was really impressed (as the children were) on how tender they became.

Can't add the beer (used to) because I have a gluten intolerant kid. Threw in some watered down GF Worcestershire Sauce in the beginning for added moisture.

Did miss the smoke element. Using the WSM really adds a nice component with the charcoal/added wood chips.

Always looking for recipes I can prepare in advance so that my wife can cook them up. She has classes starting Monday and with the kids extracurricular activities we need easy meal ideas. They can't depend on me to cook during the school year since I can't leave for work until my youngest gets on the bus at 8:25 am (I rarely get home before 6:15 pm). Pulled crockpot chicken thighs and oven ribs are new additions this year.
Pulled chicken thighs are one of our go-to weeknight meals. We also do chili (regular and white chicken versions) and various casseroles in the crock pot as well. Another favorite is breakfast for dinner, which is usually eggs with mushrooms, veggies and cheese, along with some toast with homemade jelly.

The kids love breakfast for dinner, but when my wife makes it one orders poached eggs, another orders a jalapeno cheese omelet, then their are cheesy scrambled eggs and of course the standard fried egg.

When I do it I let them vote. Which ever gets the most votes (usually two) gets made for all of them. I'm usually the second vote, so I get what I want (I know, I'm a terrible father).

Over to friend's house. I supplied the homemade Viognier and commercial Pinot Noir, she supplied the rest. Orange Roughy Meuniere, baked sweet potato, and charred Brussels sprouts with Parmesan cheese. Scrum-licious!

Tonight, I had grilled chuck steak. Not having any of my homemade wine ready, I reached into my wine refrigerator and retrieved a bottle of Château la Couspaude Red Bordeaux Blend St. Émilion Grand Cru - 2003.

I'm not sure who gave me this bottle but it turned out to be an excellent bordeaux. Neither my wife or I could believe how good a wine it was. She had a second glass which is highly unusual for her.

I went online after dinner to see if I could buy more of this wine. Most online vendors are sold out but I found one in New York that wants $59.95 a bottle plus shipping.

Had I known how much this bottle was worth, I would have saved it to empress someone at a special dinner.:m

Back