What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite meals, Jim. I can see zucchini, scallions, tomatoes and what looks to be corn, right? Is that shredded mozzarella on the grits under the vegetables? Also looks like some cheddar cheese.

One of my favorite meals, Jim. I can see zucchini, scallions, tomatoes and what looks to be corn, right? Is that shredded mozzarella on the grits under the vegetables? Also looks like some cheddar cheese.

You got it, Rocky. The grits had some shredded cheddar and creme fraiche, but I added some shredded "Mexican Blend" on top, right before I put on the shrimp and veg.

Tri Tip Nachos! Did some tri tip the other night, carne asada style. Used the leftovers to make a quick dinner tonight. No "Mexican" cheese, so I just went with Mozzarella.

IMG_3081.jpg

It's Friday so it's pizza night. The two oldest ones are away until Sunday afternoon, so only three pizzas tonight. One for my wife and daughter, one for my gluten free son and one for Daddy. Grilled as usual with mushrooms, italian sausage and diced pepperoni. Didn't have my normal flour to make the dough but it rose really nice on the grill. Crisp, but not too crisp on the outside, like a soft pretzel on the inside. Only thing missing were some peppers, used them on the fajitas last night.

DSC_07-31_pizza.jpg

Older two got home from "Impact", which is a bunch of teenagers in a field worshiping God through music, study and fellowship. So to celebrate their safe arrival home and the beautiful weather we've had this weekend, decided to smoke a chicken in the bullet. For a twist I had racked one of the 5 gallon carboys with my Bordeaux/Meritage (Merlot based) and left the oak chips at the bottom of the carboy out to dry, and dry they did.

Started it late so we may be eating a little later than usual. Meantime I can marinate myself with a few beers while I diligently keep watch over the smoker so a bold neighbor who has to endure the wonderful smell doesn't get the idea I was cooking his families' dinner.

DSC-smokin-wood_080215.jpg

DSC-bullet_080215.jpg

DSC-chicken-080215.jpg

Looks good! Next time, put a beer can in that bird! ;) You do your chicken high heat, or low-n-slow?

Low and slow. Meant to start it up around 2pm, but had to go get some toppin' wine for the Merlot batch I racked. Finishing off on the grill right now, not the preferred method, but with two Type I diabetics timing is everything. Dinner at 6pm is standard.

Do love doing the beer can chicken. Won't fit upright in the bullet unless put it on the level where the water/flavor pan is. Have to do it on the grill. Favorite uses a homebrew in a 16 oz can with home made Jamaican jerk seasoning added and oil/jerk spice on the outside. Then I grill up some mangos and peaches to serve w/chicken. Didn't plant any Habaneros this year and have run out of my frozen ones. Still good with Jalapenos just not as spicy.

Edit: Finished product - enjoyed by all.

DSC-chicken-done-080215.jpg

Last edited:
Did that once and took it to a holiday party that involved my wife's family before we got married. Was quite the hit! Just had to start it at 4 a.m. Used a Fosters "oil can" to put the cider in. Also took some homebrew to the affair, so I think between the two I won them over. Or at least I was allowed to marry my wife!

That looks really good, Craig! I haven't had any issues doing beer can birds on the WSM. Maybe I'm just using short ones. :D

Ok, so what exactly is blue apron?

Basically, meals delivered to your door. You just have to prepare them. They come with everything. About the only thing I've needed that isn't included is oil and salt and pepper. Recipes are included so you can make the meal again if you like it.

Here's a pretty good review. I don't order every week, but once or twice a month. We have more than enough in each meal for the 4 of us (two young kids). It's a nice way to inject a little variety into the menu and some "don't even have to think about" it meals that are still good and not full of processed junk.
http://www.thekitchn.com/blue-apron-product-review-198855

https://www.blueapron.com/

Number 3 son's birthday today, he turns 10 at 9:01 pm (as with two of my other kids, there was football on the TV that day). He requested a strange menu, but it's his day so I try to oblige. He wanted catfish on the grill with shrimp and sugar snap peas. Well my peas are long picked and we didn't freeze any, so the handy dandy Giant provided those. Deep frying catfish I'm pretty good at, but grilling? So I made some foil "boats" and floated the catfish in some butter and grilled. Came out very well. The shrimp were skewered as usual, so no problem there. He was happy so I was happy. Plus I have left over fish for fish sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.

8-8-15_fish.jpg

Family gathering tonight. I did some Peruvian style skirt steak and chicken on the grill, along with some grilled veg. Mom brought an awesome salad to top it off and my sisters brought sangria and dessert.

Last nights dinner or how to get rid of all those tomatoes from the garden. Sea Clams (Costco), with broth, EVOO, white wine, capers, onion, lemon, red pepper flakes, parsley served on a bed of thin spaghetti. Of course a nice loaf of crusty bread for dipping into the sauce. This went really well with a bottle of RJS 2013 LR Sem Sauv. Mine is only ~12.8% ABV LOL

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

Garden sandwich with bacon tonight: hot banana peppers, beet leaves, fresh pickles, tomatoes, onions, and slices of parmesan. Yum!

Looking forward to Friday evening, we having dinner at Carnaval Brazilian BBQ. Meat overload and roasted pineapple. Mmmmm...You can smell the roasting smoke several blocks away.

Latest posts

Back