What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was about to mention that somewhere underneath all of that is an actual hot dog! Oh and John, that pic was snapped with my iPhone LOL

Chicken Parm from scratch done on the Weber kettle. Well, I did the sauce on the stove, but everything else on the kettle. Paired with my Oct 2013 Eclipse Barolo.

All I can think of is........... :)

chicken-parm-tastes-good-peyton.jpg

LOL, That thing was hypnotic!

I see that commercial, and it is like... "Yes master, I will eat chicken parm."

Hey Boatbay, did you coat the chicken in breadcrumbs? If so, how did you cook it in the grill?

Hey Boatbay, did you coat the chicken in breadcrumbs? If so, how did you cook it in the grill?

Yes, I did. I do breaded chicken on the grill often. Just have to be sure the grates are hot, clean and a little oiled. No problem - no mor challenging than fish. For this one, I went with a light coating. But I've frequently done panko breaded chicken tenders. Bread them, and let them set up for 30-60 minutes. You lose a few crumbs, but not much.

This evening I used the Cajun Fryer to fry Corn, Potatoes, Catfish and Oysters.

I used Zatarain's Fish Fry to coat the Catfish and Oysters.

Seasoned it all with Nu Nu's Seasoning from Lafayette, La.

Fish - Oysters - Fryes - Corn - Nu Nus  07-03-15.jpg

Catfish Frying  07-03-15.jpg

Nu Nu's Cajun Seasioning.jpeg

On Thursday, I got out of work early to pick up my Godson in Hoboken (Hoboken? Oooooh, I'm dying again! - Bugs Bunny). On the way back to the house, We stopped off at the store and picked up two small chickens for frying. I buy whole chickens and break them down myself (it is much cheaper and I like to cut up a chicken my way). I placed the pieces into a bowl, added celery seed, old bay seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ground sage and ground thyme. I also added about a 1/4 cup of water. I let this sit for a couple of hours, stirring the chicken every so often.

Once the chicken had a chance to marinade for a bit, I dredged each piece in plain flour (no seasoning needed since the chicken is heavily seasoned) and fried in a large cast iron skillet for about 10 minute a side.

I made a batch of mashed spuds, and made some gravy by taking some of the dredging flour and some of the oil to make a roux and then adding chicken stock once the roux had a chance to cook a bit.

Two whole fried chickens did not stand a chance! It was completely devoured in about 30 minutes (by 5 hungry diners). I must say that it came out good and the fact that I had no leftovers really says that I am right.

On Friday, I had more people over at the house to do some light bottling. We ended up doing only 22 cases. For dinner, I made my brazed/grilled ribs, bbq sausage, and some London broil. I was short on time so I just picked up store bought macaroni and potato salad.

The first picture (below) is of the meat platter after carving. The second picture is of my plate prior to eating.....

IMG_20150703_160935_459.jpg

IMG_20150703_161219_394.jpg

Some interesting ideas and tips. Had to laugh at the don't add salt and then first secret ingredient to add is fish sauce which is loaded with salt! LOL But I guess its liquid salt. We also snagged one of these at Costco a few weeks ago and have not used it yet. Looks like the perfect tool for the job!

lodge-cast-iron-grill-pan-costco.jpg

Sorry, no (processed) American cheese will ever touch my burgers!

Interesting. But I've got to disagree on the cheese. Sharp cheddar. I season with either Weber's Gourmet Burger Seasoning or McCormick's Burger seasoning, along with a little worcestershire. Cook over charcoal with a little oak. Screaming hot fire with cast iron grates.

Yeah, I agree about the cheese. I always have a variety of cheeses in my fridge, considering I live in the land of cheese, but none of them is ever American Cheese (the variety, I mean). Cheddar would be my go-to cheese for a cheese burger, but I use lots of different cheeses depending on my mood. Last night, I just had a hamburger, sans cheese.

Yeah, Mike, the fish sauce was way salty, but it was not enough to really detect in the middle of the burger. I put on a lot (a bit too much, actually) of McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning.

The cast-iron skillet did give it a nice, uniform crust, which was yummy.

Sadly, I cooked it (accidentally) to medium, about 145F after resting. I took it off earlier, but it was at 108F, so I threw it back on for a minute or so. Too much! It was still very juicy-seeming, which I am attributing to the mayonnaise. Looking for rare to medium rare next time!

Some interesting ideas and tips. Had to laugh at the don't add salt and then first secret ingredient to add is fish sauce which is loaded with salt! LOL But I guess its liquid salt. We also snagged one of these at Costco a few weeks ago and have not used it yet. Looks like the perfect tool for the job!

lodge-cast-iron-grill-pan-costco.jpg

Sorry, no (processed) American cheese will ever touch my burgers!

Mike I like the grill but can it go in the oven with that handle. Sometimes in bad weather I like to cook slow in the oven then seer it on the stove top.

Grilling at Briggs Blues Fest

Here is a shot of Friday night's pork tenderloin (we were camping). Sorry how my finger got in the way a bit. Perhaps I will win the "worst pricture" award...

IMG_20150710_171411_435.jpg

I love the smell of butt in the morning. :D Got this guy on the Weber Smoky Mountain around 6:30.

IMG_3058.jpg

Back