What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I took the last step... Tuna poke bowl and sashimi from Costco tuna. I did some reading and got comfortable enough with how its processed. Sashimi was a solid 85%. More water content than restaurant. Likely missed something in my prep. Poke bowl...100%. Made a spicy siracha sesame sauce. Drizzled some vinegar and evoo over the veggies.. 👍 fully sated!

PXL_20221024_013542700.jpg
PXL_20221024_013527046.MP.jpg

No photos, but it was really good! Old fashion mac and cheese from the 50s, not the soupy stuff you mostly see these days. I remember my mother making it this was when I was a kid. I omitted the bread crumbs on top and let it crisp up on it's own. Served it to 8 guests last night and they all loved it. Best cheeses to use are 70% sharp cheddar, 30% Gruyere, and maybe 1/4 cup or so of grated parm you find in containers in the grocery store.

Old-Fashioned Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Pizza bake yesterday. Six pizzas total, three to neighbors, one to boss at work, two for us. Tried out a new dough concept for New Haven style pizza (overnight, bread flour, high hydration), ran the oven at 525*F (stone and steel got to 560*F). Turned out really tasty!

Side effect is that it warmed up the kitchen and my fermenting Cab Franc batch so it finished a bit quicker than I thought it would. Had to press it today.

10-23-22_pizza-1.jpg

10-23-22_pizza-2.jpg

Can't wait for my thicker pizza steel to arrive, due at the end of October. Will hopefully help get some more distinct leoparding on the bottom of the pizzas.

I respect your efforts. That is how I make scalloped potatoes. I start with a roux and make a cheese sauce that is so much more cheese than sauce that it will brown on its own.. Often cheddar, mozza, blue cheese, parm, and whatever else happens to be around....

Heavenly. 😀

Sunday morning I decided to make pumpkin pancakes. We had a can of packed pumpkin in the cupboard, and it was calling my name. I looked through various recipes and selected one. After thinking about it, it resembled my favorite Belgian waffles recipe, in that the egg whites are separated, beaten stiff, and folded in at the end to make the batter lighter.

Since I haven't made waffles in literally several years, I decided to go for it. Of course, having not done it in a while, I made a few mistakes. Like not oiling the griddle, so #1 stuck and had to be carefully taken out in chunks.

waffles 1.jpg

It still tasted good.

#2? I didn't fill in the griddle as required, so it came out funky. Again, still tasty.

waffles 2.jpg

After that I had things figured out.

The recipe called for 1/2 cup pumpkin, and since the can holds 1-1/2 cups, I made a triple batch. Yeah, that's a LOT of waffles for people. Fortunately, we have no problem freezing them, and heating them in the oven!

waffles 3.jpg

Sunday morning I decided to make pumpkin pancakes. We had a can of packed pumpkin in the cupboard, and it was calling my name. I looked through various recipes and selected one. After thinking about it, it resembled my favorite Belgian waffles recipe, in that the egg whites are separated, beaten stiff, and folded in at the end to make the batter lighter.

Since I haven't made waffles in literally several years, I decided to go for it. Of course, having not done it in a while, I made a few mistakes. Like not oiling the griddle, so #1 stuck and had to be carefully taken out in chunks.

View attachment 94437

It still tasted good.

#2? I didn't fill in the griddle as required, so it came out funky. Again, still tasty.

View attachment 94438

After that I had things figured out.

The recipe called for 1/2 cup pumpkin, and since the can holds 1-1/2 cups, I made a triple batch. Yeah, that's a LOT of waffles for people. Fortunately, we have no problem freezing them, and heating them in the oven!

View attachment 94439
I happen to have a can of pumpkin myself. Hmmm 🤔

Wegman's has had this of late. I haven't taken note of the price though. Kids and I tried some tongue tacos when we were out in Wyoming last summer and we all loved it. Not sure if I'm ready to try cooking it, but looking for tips, if anyone has them.

1666748650517.jpeg

Wegman's has had this of late. I haven't taken note of the price though. Kids and I tried some tongue tacos when we were out in Wyoming last summer and we all loved it. Not sure if I'm ready to try cooking it, but looking for tips, if anyone has them.

View attachment 94450
No tips, but I have one in the freezer.. Bison. I'll do it if you do! 😎

Earlier this week I bought a 5-pound flounder and some shrimp and it's been feeding me and my wife for a few days. I got tired of the taste so I turned it into soup with some dashi stock. idk if it's still good but i'm still going to finish it

We use oranges a lot in salads with balsamic vinegar. Great combo, along with some salty olives.

Vinny, are those oranges, clementines or tangerines? Appear to be the one or the other of the two latter.
That sounds very Mediterranean and yummy, orange , olive salad

View attachment 94450
Never tried to fry a tongue or heart, we just pickled the beef or venison heart/tongue. Good luck.

View attachment 94450

From the label on the package in your picture: "Scan here for tips and more info."

Well, I was able to scan the QR code from your picture!! :) It points to:

Beef Tongue - Where to Buy - Rumba Meats

Which says

Beef tongue delivers a melt-in-your-mouth texture and is bursting with flavor. It is most commonly used for tacos de lengua, but is also a good choice for quesadillas, sandwiches, salads or served on its own. Is beef tongue good for you? Of course! It’s a good source of protein and is an excellent source of iron. Cook it low and slow to break down the fat content and release the incredible flavor. See where to buy Rumba’s beef tongue in-store or online using the link below.

Since I know you are a sous vide guy, I would give that a try! (How to Sous Vide Beef Tongue Times and Temperatures) Or maybe a long braise or crockpot....

Waiting on yours and taking notes...
Taco's were suggested as the way I should prepare it. I don't doubt they would be great, but with a new cut I always like to make something that will enhance it rather than hide it.

I've searched around a little for recipes, but nothing has jumped out. Thus it is still in the freezer.

Pickled is intriguing.

I will keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back