What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steak was just a Smiths (Kroger) Prepackaged Flank Steak (WooHoo no less) that I dug out of he freezer since Mrs IB is OOT helping with aging parental units. I discovered this packaged marinade at my local Smiths and Love it for this cut of meat. Just add some EVOO, red wine vinegar and some H2O and let it sit for 12 -24 hours and BOOM!

Taters are just oven roasted fingerling or petite tricolor medley that can be had these days and then baked with EVOO SPG an then fresh Thyme, Rosemary and whatever else you wish to toss on top.

Pulled the steak at 130F and it peaked at 137F I think while it rested. Still very pull apart tender. Hot grill is good for this as well as a wireless meat probe.

1665361124122.png

Well, no pix but the guy who cuts my hay runs Wagyu cattle and he gave me a pack of ground Wagyu. We charcoal grilled burgers last night, and OMG that stuff was SOOOO good! All I added was sprinkled-on Himalayan salt and ground black pepper. Zero shrink and no drawing up on the burgers, too. They stayed nice and flat with no special attention. Nice on Hawaiian buns. Mmmm... Now I can say I have had it, anyway.

Steak was just a Smiths (Kroger) Prepackaged Flank Steak (WooHoo no less) that I dug out of he freezer since Mrs IB is OOT helping with aging parental units. I discovered this packaged marinade at my local Smiths and Love it for this cut of meat. Just add some EVOO, red wine vinegar and some H2O and let it sit for 12 -24 hours and BOOM!

Taters are just oven roasted fingerling or petite tricolor medley that can be had these days and then baked with EVOO SPG an then fresh Thyme, Rosemary and whatever else you wish to toss on top.

Pulled the steak at 130F and it peaked at 137F I think while it rested. Still very pull apart tender. Hot grill is good for this as well as a wireless meat probe.

View attachment 93836
I bought a large bottle of the Brazilian grill mates spices. I like it better than the Montreal Steak. But I’m almost out and none of the stores I go to nearby carry it. Need to look online for another source.

I bought a large bottle of the Brazilian grill mates spices. I like it better than the Montreal Steak. But I’m almost out and none of the stores I go to nearby carry it. Need to look online for another source.
I found my last purchase off Amazon.

Angus tri tip coated in Kinder's "The Blend" (salt, pepper, garlic - available at Costco) in sous vide for about 3 hours at 128F, then seared on the Performer over Kingsford Pro and a few spent oak cubes that soaked in Malbec. Roasted broccoli with EVOO, S&P, fresh garlic and red pepper flakes, finished w/ some parmesan. Mediterranean potatoes from a bag purchased at Wegman's and a 'Caesar' salad - arugula blend, cuke, kalamata olives, cherry tomato, caesar dressing and a healthy dose of fresh pepper and grated parmesan. Washed it all down with a fantastic South African Shiraz/Cabernet that @mainshipfred gave me. A near perfect balance of fruit, acid and oak and a great pairing w/ this meal.

1665538607226.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked this up last time I was in San Antonio. Running out of time for long cooks but today is chamber of commerce weather for sure. Dino Ribs for dinner. These things look like Wagyu on the sides. They should puff up nicely. A rack of BB's are going on as well so we have both beef and pork. Photos later!

IMG_8802.jpeg

It was my intention to do it last year, but my list never gets shorter, the crappy jobs just get closer to the bottom. A mouse got past my defences and into the house a week before I was going to finally get to it. I have been climbing around under the house making the place impenetrable. I also had wifi and cell wires lazily strung that I finally cleaned up. I am using 1 ft flashing to seal all plumbing, electrical, and wifi, so if mice ever even get underneath again, they won't get into the house.

Long story short... Very tired and sore. This was tasty, but more importantly, fast and easy. Took me a couple days of crawling around to get everything 100% sealed up. Happy its done, and enjoying a night cap.

PXL_20221019_020554280.jpg

BTW.. Oranges and salad.. YES, always welcome. Such great balance with the vinegar. The tart and sweet balance so nicely with a vinaigrette.
We use oranges a lot in salads with balsamic vinegar. Great combo, along with some salty olives.

Vinny, are those oranges, clementines or tangerines? Appear to be the one or the other of the two latter.

Latest posts

Back