What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I'm ready to try cooking it, but looking for tips, if anyone has them.
I like to boil for 30 - 40 minutes so the skin is easily removed. After the skin is removed I cover in a dry rub and put in the smoker to internal temp of 180 degrees. Sliced thin with cheese and crackers and a bottle of wine and I’m ready to watch my K.C. Chiefs!

I like to boil for 30 - 40 minutes so the skin is easily removed. After the skin is removed I cover in a dry rub and put in the smoker to internal temp of 180 degrees. Sliced thin with cheese and crackers and a bottle of wine and I’m ready to watch my K.C. Chiefs!
Other than the KC Chiefs watching, that sounds pretty interesting...it can't be bad if it's rubbed and smoke cooked! Just have a mental hurdle of eating any meat that isn't a "main cut", though I love scrapple, just don't remind me what's in it, lol.

If I do family tacos with that it will be one of those "beef tacos tonight" things, or they won't even come in the kitchen.

Coyotes have been moving in on my dog. There have been some encounters on walks and now they are coming into the yard. I started nice and encouraged them to disperse with some loud percussions, but its not fun and games anymore. I went for a walk tonight. No coyotes, but I did see a grouse.

Country chicken taco/fajita things
PXL_20221027_014723691.MP.jpgPXL_20221027_015629669.jpg

PXL_20221027_015753824.jpg

Had a short day of work yesterday, so did a quickie Detroit style pizza, but using an overnight dough with 00 flour, not the traditional bread flour dough. Mushrooms and pepperoni under the cheese, yummy!

10-28-22_detroit-pizza.jpg

Today was just a gorgeous day, smoked a 6.5 lb chicken on some charcoal and hickory. Smelled great and tasted even better!

10-29-22_chicken.jpg

Last edited:
Made a GF pizza for my Son since I hadn't used my new toy that arrived today with a normal pizza crust. Though gluten denatures when it gets hot enough, not sure I'd have to worry about it on a stone running at 525*+ F, as long as I wiped it off first. The crust actually had some nice markings on the bottom, which is good since GF doughs are hard to brown unless overdone (only cooked at 450*F since he likes a softer crust).

My new addition pictured below is 3/8" thick, weighs 27 lbs, measures 16" x 16" and fits my oven perfectly. It dropped a whole 10*F when I did my Son's pizza. Normally my thin steel or the baking stone will drop over 100*F and needs quite some time to heat back up. Should be fun to experiment with since I like to play with my food...

11-2-22_pizza-steel.jpg

Might need to invest in some sturdier oven racks, that one seems to be showing some weight stress.

Tonights dinner was very out of the ordinary for me.. To the point that I don't know why I chose it. I don't usually have any issues, but I really wrecked my back on Sunday. Maybe all the time thinking about what I could make that's fun in a short time standing vertically, did it. I made a salsa for tacos last night from kiwi instead of tomato. Anyway, I was thinking it was going to so mediocre that I was nearly blown away by it. Something I will add to the weekly routine? No, but monthly, yeah. Absolutely.

Homemade salmon cakes. Boring.. Actually, not!

Still working through all the garden squash. I made the tartar sauce from scratch. Mayo and all, right from eggs and oil. Dill, capers, lemon, vinegar, and Dijon. A simple cucumber, onion, and dill salad. A little maple syrup and rice vinegar. I was out of celery so I used zucchini in the salmon cakes, instead. Garlic, onion, dill, salt, pepper, and some flour. It seemed dry so I added a smattering of the Mayo. Made cakes and fried on the griddle. Most of the meal was spent talking about how neither of us thought it was gonna be good, but you seemed enthusiastic when I mentioned it. :p

PXL_20221103_020159881.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221103_020159881.jpg
    PXL_20221103_020159881.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Had a rough day, started by reading my email at 6 am at work. A coworker, who has been working at home since the pandemic started, got a visit from three gentlemen in uniforms (Navy) yesterday afternoon. Her Son in his early 30's past away, no idea why, but it's a nightmare my wife and I have occasionally about our Son stationed in Alaska in the AF. A parents' worse nightmare for sure.

So I got a 15 pack of Labatt's Blue and headed home to cook on my new pizza steel and forget about life for a while (think there was a sitcom with that in their opening song). Cooked a few pizzas, then did a thin crust, which I rarely do for me, with some fishes and Romano cheese. Hoping to give the Phillies some luck against those dratted @ibglowin Astros, lol.

Amazingly enough, the super thin crust was soft in the interior. Ran the oven on convection mode up to 525*F, steel actually got to 540*F. Didn't brown the outside crust as much as I like, but I omitted sugar or diastatic malt pwd by accident. Still really good mouthfeel and taste...Go Phillies!

11-3-22_pizza.jpg

11-3-22_pizza-2.jpg

FYI, I love my new toy. Tomorrow I'm doing some English muffins with a 48 hour fermented dough.

Another weird one tonight. I wanted sunomono, which started as an appetizer, but got promoted to side dish. I made a nice seaweed salad and topped the sunomono with it. My favorite, yu choi with heavily toasted garlic, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and tamari was next on the list. At this point I had to ask myself what I was going to have as a main... Salmon made the cut, and I added a zucchini for good measure. PXL_20221104_010050628.MP.jpg
PXL_20221104_021902097.jpg
PXL_20221104_021908657.jpg
PXL_20221104_022159906.jpg

Had a rough day, started by reading my email at 6 am at work. A coworker, who has been working at home since the pandemic started, got a visit from three gentlemen in uniforms (Navy) yesterday afternoon. Her Son in his early 30's past away, no idea why, but it's a nightmare my wife and I have occasionally about our Son stationed in Alaska in the AF. A parents' worse nightmare for sure.

So I got a 15 pack of Labatt's Blue and headed home to cook on my new pizza steel and forget about life for a while (think there was a sitcom with that in their opening song). Cooked a few pizzas, then did a thin crust, which I rarely do for me, with some fishes and Romano cheese. Hoping to give the Phillies some luck against those dratted @ibglowin Astros, lol.

Amazingly enough, the super thin crust was soft in the interior. Ran the oven on convection mode up to 525*F, steel actually got to 540*F. Didn't brown the outside crust as much as I like, but I omitted sugar or diastatic malt pwd by accident. Still really good mouthfeel and taste...Go Phillies!

View attachment 94769

View attachment 94770

FYI, I love my new toy. Tomorrow I'm doing some English muffins with a 48 hour fermented dough.
I've been experimenting with prebaking (the real term in parbaking) the crust on the steel for 2-3 minutes and then pulling it out and letting it cool a bit before adding the sauce, toppings, etc and putting it back in the oven. It produces a nice, dark crust.

I love liver. Pate, foie gras, livewurst. Mmmm. I can eat it all day. Liver on its own, though? Its always been, I love liver, we don' t eat it enough, then from one bite to the next, its too rich and I'm done. This is how I always remember it and it makes me procrastinate on liver night.

Not tonight. I enjoyed it first bite to the last.

PXL_20221105_001947878.jpg
PXL_20221105_004849175.jpg
Almost....

PXL_20221105_005742314.jpg
Did I mention I love this range top and its even heating?
PXL_20221105_013856258.jpg
I lost a couple pics and missed the finale with the croutons on the salad. Nothing compares to freshly pan toasted!

PXL_20221105_015300613.jpg
Bison liver, onions, and mushroom sauce.

Attachments

• PXL_20221105_004849175.jpg
    PXL_20221105_004849175.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I love liver. Pate, foie gras, livewurst. Mmmm. I can eat it all day. Liver on its own, though? Its always been, I love liver, we don' t eat it enough, then from one bite to the next, its too rich and I'm done. This is how I always remember it and it makes me procrastinate on liver night.

Not tonight. I enjoyed it first bite to the last.

View attachment 94849
View attachment 94852
Almost....

View attachment 94851
Did I mention I love this range top and its even heating?
View attachment 94853
I lost a couple pics and missed the finale with the croutons on the salad. Nothing compares to freshly pan toasted!

View attachment 94854
Bison liver, onions, and mushroom sauce.
Nice caramelization on those onions!

Okay, what's for brunch? A little decadance, that is what. Avocado dotted with sriracha; trumpet mushrooms sauteed in butter with thyme, and a reduction of soy sauce and port; smoked oysters with grated Comté cheese and chives; and a poached egg on steamed asparagus smothered in Mornay sauce. Dessert was vanilla custard (so more eggs!) with fresh mango and crispy fried garlic.

And, yes, I had a better photographer than usual (viz., my sister-in-law).

IMG_4983.jpgIMG_4984.jpg

Okay, what's for brunch? A little decadance, that is what. Avocado dotted with sriracha; trumpet mushrooms sauteed in butter with thyme, and a reduction of soy sauce and port; smoked oysters with grated Comté cheese and chives; and a poached egg on steamed asparagus smothered in Mornay sauce. Dessert was vanilla custard (so more eggs!) with fresh mango and crispy fried garlic.

And, yes, I had a better photographer than usual (viz., my sister-in-law).

View attachment 94896View attachment 94897
Yowsa! I was just thinking we haven't seen much from you lately. Then BOOM. You bring your A game.. 😋

Made a four pizzas last night, mine (pictured) ended up looking sorta like a guitar. Must have been channeling some Jimmy Page, lol. My wife and the neighbor whom received two of the pizzas said that they were the best crusts from an indoor cook I've ever made. Kudos to the new baking steel I purchased.

11-6-22_pizza.jpg

Anyone made a New Haven style clam pizza lately? Thinking that might be fun to make a taste pretty good. November is still an "r" month, so clams from the Chesapeake basin are still in season.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/clam-pizza-recipe

Back