What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't resist playing with the baking steel. Made a dough last night and did a short overnight rise in the fridge (also added some sourdough discard for flavor). Made a smaller 300g dough for a clam apizza, put the rest (I think 450g) into a cheese New Haven style for work. Obviously didn't try the work apizza, but the clam apizza was to die for!

11-8-22_apizza-1.jpg

11-8-22_apizza-2.jpg

11-8-22_apizza-3.jpg

Can't resist playing with the baking steel. Made a dough last night and did a short overnight rise in the fridge (also added some sourdough discard for flavor). Made a smaller 300g dough for a clam apizza, put the rest (I think 450g) into a cheese New Haven style for work. Obviously didn't try the work apizza, but the clam apizza was to die for!

View attachment 95027

View attachment 95028

View attachment 95029
Mine is a cast iron griddle, but I have that on the bbq when I do salmon. I slide it on skin down on tinfoil. You get a nice crispy edge and it lifts off the skin really easy. The steel would work the same. I do all burners on high. No holding back.

Another option to play with it, perhaps?

I didn't know what japchae was until today. I wanted to make something with the glass noodles I recently discovered. I followed a recipe quite closely, other than I knew I would like it better with bison AND chicken and shrimp.

Pretty good but a little strong on the sauce for my liking. I'll make it again and tone it down. I like an accent so I can taste all the individual ingredients in all their glory. Worth revisiting.

I forgot my garnishes in all the excitement to taste it. Oh well, you get the idea.
PXL_20221109_024925344.jpg
PXL_20221109_025149663.jpg

Just your standard country dinner.

Drunken mussels
PXL_20221112_032259376.jpg

Braised artichoke hearts topped with sauteed leek, garlic, oregano and parsley. Drizzled with evoo and balsamic. Finished with feta and Kalamata olives.

PXL_20221112_032754733.jpg

Served with morel, chanterelle, and oyster mushrooms with caramelised onions. Deglazed with Shiraz and sauteed with basil. Along with a ginger, sesame seaweed and cucumber salad. Last but not least butternut squash fries. Pretty tasty! I'll be making them again.
PXL_20221112_033145282.jpg

Just your standard country dinner.

Drunken mussels
View attachment 95205

Braised artichoke hearts topped with sauteed leek, garlic, oregano and parsley. Drizzled with evoo and balsamic. Finished with feta and Kalamata olives.

View attachment 95207

Served with morel, chanterelle, and oyster mushrooms with caramelised onions. Deglazed with Shiraz and sauteed with basil. Along with a ginger, sesame seaweed and cucumber salad. Last but not least butternut squash fries. Pretty tasty! I'll be making them again.
View attachment 95208
I suppose the drunken mussels didn't feel any pain then when you put them in the pan. :db

@bstnh1 Nice looking onion soup. We heading into the time of year when soups and stews start showing up for dinner more often. We're making French Onion soup tonight, hope it comes out as nice as yours!
Thanks. It was tasty! It takes me about an hour to caramelize the onions, but it's worth it for the flavor they produce.

This really needed a revisit. This time it was roasted artichoke hearts topped with caramelized onions and accented with fried mushrooms. Both were a added back to the pan and I deglazed with balsamic and added tarragon. Drizzled with evoo and balsamic, this really came together with olives.

This really is something unto itself.

PXL_20221116_030145086.jpg

PXL_20221116_031211888.jpg
Served with tuna. Rare and rare...er

Last edited:
This really needed a revisit. This time it was roasted artichoke hearts topped with caramelized onions and accented with fried mushrooms. Both were a added back to the pan and I deglazed with balsamic and added tarragon. Drizzled with evoo and balsamic, this really came together with olives.

This really is something unto itself.

View attachment 95351

View attachment 95352
Served with tuna. Rare and rare...er
Looked yummy and good until I got to the raw fish!
Feeling So Sick Smiley

Back