What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clementines. I prefer a mandarins, but you take what's available. I had some pitted Kalamata's hidden in there.

Clearly, we agree!

I like mixing up salad ingredients, especially with Asian flavors. Ginger, soy, sesame oil, rice vinegar, etc. I haven't found a combination that wasn't improved with oranges.

Red beans & rice with sausage and a side of sautéed brussels sprouts with a splash of lemon juice.
What is your recipe for red bean & rice? I've been intending to make it, just haven't got around to it.

I cut sprouts in half, roll in olive oil seasoned with salt & pepper (and anything else that strikes my mind while looking in the spice cabinet), then roast at 425 F for 20-25 minutes. Mrs. WM81 hates the smell of sprouts cooking, so I tend to make them for lunch on days she is at work.

What is your recipe for red bean & rice? I've been intending to make it, just haven't got around to it.

I cut sprouts in half, roll in olive oil seasoned with salt & pepper (and anything else that strikes my mind while looking in the spice cabinet), then roast at 425 F for 20-25 minutes. Mrs. WM81 hates the smell of sprouts cooking, so I tend to make them for lunch on days she is at work.
This one was easy - not from scratch and not much creativity. ;) It starts with a box of Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice. I sautéed about a half cup each of finely chopped onion, celery and green bell peppers. I fried up 3 large sausage links, sliced them into bite size chunks, added them and the sautéed veggies to the boxed rice mix right after adding the water. Tossed in several cloves of minced garlic and cooked according to the package directions. I threw in a few shakes of Cumin somewhere along the line, too! I used Italian chicken sausage because that's all I had. It's better with a spicy sausage. I've tried making this from scratch a couple of times, but it didn't come out that great. So ..... I tend to stick with the boxed mix.

Well.. No pictures, but tonight I made a spaghetti sauce from this years home canned tomato sauce. Ground bison, carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, LOTS of basil, oregano, salt/pepper, red wine... A beautiful 2022 Vinny, very nice!

Not so much better than the standard, but definitely much faster to come together. I will give the new range top some credit, but the time to reduce and create a sauce vs canned whole tomatoes makes a huge difference in the time needed to reduce into a balanced sauce. An extra hour on the canning side saves a couple on the dinner side, easily.

I don't think I would use sauce for a tomato based stew, chili, soup, etc. so canned tomatoes still have a place, but I do not regret the extra time spent this year at all.

Okay, the season of eating-dinner-after-sunset is upon us. Since I have crappy lighting in my dining room, henceforth all pictures of my dinner will appear unappealng. At least until April. Sigh.

But my first dinner at home after returning from France and Germany was pretty tasty. Ground lamb sauteed with Middle Eastern or Maghreb spices (onions/garlic/cinnamon/cardamom/tomato) topped with toasted pine nuts and cilantro, stuffed into baked eggplant halves. Haricot verts with blue cheese and almond slices. Lightly mashed fava beans with garlic and EVOO. And some sauteed garlic diluted with some spinach 😛.

IMG_4171.JPG

Okay, the season of eating-dinner-after-sunset is upon us. Since I have crappy lighting in my dining room, henceforth all pictures of my dinner will appear unappealng. At least until April. Sigh.

But my first dinner at home after returning from France and Germany was pretty tasty. Ground lamb sauteed with Middle Eastern or Maghreb spices (onions/garlic/cinnamon/cardamom/tomato) topped with toasted pine nuts and cilantro, stuffed into baked eggplant halves. Haricot verts with blue cheese and almond slices. Lightly mashed fava beans with garlic and EVOO. And some sauteed garlic diluted with some spinach 😛.

View attachment 94283
Well played! And, thank you for your prompt response time!

The last couple of nights I went simple on the dinner....opened a can of Progresso soup, something creamy, heated it up and dumped it over the top of a few pieces of white bread. Made me sleep like a baby!
I'm going for some Mexican street tacos and chicken tortilla soup washed down with some Modelo Negra draft

Beautiful day here today, mid 60's, dry and sunny. Just took the doggie for a walk (it's me and her all afternoon). Started up a Chicken Booyah, can't say I've ever made it. Didn't notice the finished serving size, so started it in a crock pot and kept having to increase the size of the cooking vessel as I added the ingredients.

Shows it being served over a bed of rice, but with the taters in it I think it might be served best as is in a bowl like a stew.

10-22-22_booyah.jpghttps://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241813/slow-cooker-belgian-chicken-booyah/

Well, its 4 degrees (Canadian) and raining. A little bison shank this evening. Glorious marbled shank! MmmmPXL_20221022_233907062.jpgI love this new stove. Real searing in no time. Seriously minutes and its done. PXL_20221022_234922118.jpg
Braised in a dark brown ale, with thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary. I snuck in just a touch of star anise for a little je ne sais quoi to play on the ale flavours.. Now we wait!
PXL_20221023_000518911.jpg

Last edited:
We had company for an early happy hour.. It was extended, and I guess I decided to celebrate fall harvest. PXL_20221023_022408974.jpg
PXL_20221023_022346053.jpgPXL_20221023_022436052.MP.jpgPXL_20221023_022807119.jpg

PXL_20221023_022352380.jpg
PXL_20221023_022349488.jpg
Plus pickled beets and carrots. I only kinda feel like I over did it. Guess my winter appetite is picking up. :p

Attachments

• PXL_20221023_022807119.jpg
    PXL_20221023_022807119.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back