What would you do??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Reaction score
I got my Chilean juice last Wednesday warmed it up and added grape packs Thursday morning. today the Sg is down to 1.02 on all 3 batches. Here's my question.
I wanted to leave the grape packs in longer then 4 days but I am being called to work and leave tomorrow for 8 days. the juice is in Brut trash cans with lids on them. I'm thinking that with the amount of CO2 it's emitting, the wine would be protected (from O2) until I get back. Even if my wife dunks the grape packs every other day. Is my thinking right here or should I rack it all tonight. My preference would be to wait.

Thanks everyone

Shoe

Tough call. But, I'd be really nervous about leaving a 1.02 wine for 8 days in what is basically an open container. You're almost dry now.

Tough call. But, I'd be really nervous about leaving a 1.02 wine for 8 days in what is basically an open container. You're almost dry now.

My only saving grace is, all the CO2 that's in the buckets. not sure if a gentle push down (on the grape packs) would be enough to dissipate the gas. you're right though. It's a tough call. that's why I'm appealing to the masses.

Steve, I would not do it. By the end of 8 days, your SG will be in the low 0.990's and protection from a CO2 layer is not reliable. If it were I, I would rack to your secondary fermenter and squeeze the living "ca-ca" out of the skins (I mean turn them into paper) and put that juice in the secondary fermenters too.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

I'm with Rocky, press your skins tonight, it'll be time anyway by this evening. You'll get most everything out of them if you have a press, but wring them hard if you don't, rack 'em to glass, airlock 'em and don't worry while you're away.

:>:>:>:> The voice of reason wins. Trying to get it all racked tonight. Thanks guys, for not allowing my time crunch to get in the way of my better judgement.

It will be racked. looks like I have to eat Pizza tonight because I no longer have enough time to do anything ELSE!!!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back