Can I wait more than 24 hours after adding Metabisulfite in order to add the Yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhisperCloud

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I ordered wine yeast but there was a significant delay in delivery and will probably be here on Monday or Wednesday and my grapes have been sitting in the boxes since Thursday the 28th, hence I worry they will start spoiling despite being in a dark and cool place. Was wondering If I should start crushing them and add the Metabisulfite, making it sit for a few days while I wait for the yeast to be delivered. I would like to ask everyone for advise to tackle this situation

I guess it depends on the condition of the grapes. To my mind it’s Better crushed and sulfited than sitting in boxes.

Can you sulfite then refrigerate?
Unfortunately, I can not refrigerate. The grapes are in good condition for now but I am pretty worried they will go bad. I will try to send pictures

Hi everyone. I ordered wine yeast but there was a significant delay in delivery and will probably be here on Monday or Wednesday and my grapes have been sitting in the boxes since Thursday the 28th, hence I worry they will start spoiling despite being in a dark and cool place. Was wondering If I should start crushing them and add the Metabisulfite, making it sit for a few days while I wait for the yeast to be delivered. I would like to ask everyone for advise to tackle this situation
What kind of grapes are they, red or white? In some cases (usually red wines), extended skin contact before pitching yeast is common practice, but you'll need to take some steps to ensure there is no spoilage. Can you get some dry ice chips? they are available at many suermarkets as well as specialty retailers. I would be tempted to crush now and add dry ice chips as you go to keep the must cool. When done, make up your metabisulfite solution and sprinkle it on top; that is where spoilage is most likely to occur and it will diffuse down to some extent.

Good luck and welcome to WMT!

I would say crush destem add metabisulfite and then do cold soak.You can fill some bottles with water and freeze them.Then when they are frozen sanitize them and put them into the must to keep the temperature down.You want the tenperature to be below 59f. Do this as soon as possible because your grapes should be crushed as soon as possible and preferrably cold. If you cant do this I reccomend wild fermentation,you just crush destem and dont add metabisulfite and let wild yeast ferment.

Grapes are like any other fruit. Without refrigeration you have a highly perishable product. You don't say how many pounds you have sitting unrefrigerated but I would crush/destem ASAP. Add sulfite if you really don't want the native yeast on the skins to take hold and then do ice bombs to cool the must down as much as possible. Cold soak is always good for extraction assuming these are red grapes.

Grapes are like any other fruit. Without refrigeration you have a highly perishable product. You don't say how many pounds you have sitting unrefrigerated but I would crush/destem ASAP. Add sulfite if you really don't want the native yeast on the skins to take hold and then do ice bombs to cool the must down as much as possible. Cold soak is always good for extraction assuming these are red grapes.
They are black grapes actually. You can see in the attached pictures. Some of them are moldy and I am not adding them in. I think I will add the sulfite and icebomb it as you said. Would metabisulfite function in low temperature or should I wait 24 hours before icebombing it?

Do you think I should wash the grapes or the metabisulfite will take care of the molds and some toxins they may have made? And should I use a container with an airlock so gas can go out but no air can enter it or should I leave it open entirely?20230930_233355.jpg20230930_233412.jpg20230930_233422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are black grapes actually. You can see in the attached pictures. Some of them are moldy and I am not adding them in. I think I will add the sulfite and icebomb it as you said. Would metabisulfite function in low temperature or should I wait 24 hours before icebombing it?

Do you think I should wash the grapes or the metabisulfite will take care of the molds and some toxins they may have made? And should I use a container with an airlock so gas can go out but no air can enter it or should I leave it open entirely?
Definitely get rid of the worst clusters. I'd chill the grapes immediately, as that stops or reduces all unwanted activity. Hit it with a double dose of K-meta.

There is good news. My 2022 Tempranillo had mold, and I eliminated the worst clusters and sulfited the heck out of it. I made an overnight starter with extra yeast so the initial colony was larger than normal. You want fermentation to kick into high gear ASAP, as getting the ABV above 5% helps in controlling and killing unwanted microorganisms.

The Tempranillo is doing fine -- we bottle in November.

* from a food point of view, every 10C (18F) is assumed to double the reaction rate. Micro is not always linear as in some families will stop in cold, some won’t.
* Mold families are air breathing. Excluding air will prevent normal mold growth. ie A tall container has less surface therefore the risk is decreased.
* Dry ice is expensive and less available. Dry ice produces CO2 gas which in a blanket would prevent growth. Ice is readily available. I would ice to get 40 or 35F and not worry if yeast took a week. ,,, Your heat load is less if you chill once and hold in a clean ice chest. Option, floating crushed ice in a liquid tight bag would both reduce air exposure and do rapid chilling of a must. ,, Option, dry ice added to a cold must in a sealed ice chest would provide a gas blanket.
* There is a major risk of off flavors if there is mold in the must. You will probably not be able to recover from off flavors. A food poisoning toxin from mold is less common, I would taste to monitor.
* A wild ferment is a good choice, note that many cultured yeast will dominate a mixed culture. I would still put the intended yeast in. Do you know the kill factor? Wine is a low risk food. Once you have 5% ABV most food poisoning risk is gone and you have off flavor risks.

welcome to Wine Making Talk

Latest posts

Back