What type of red grapes go good with Pinot Grigio?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Segarram

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some guidance on a Pinot Grigio winemaking project I will be doing in April. This is the first time I'm making a white wine and will be using 6 gallons of Pinot Grigio juice. I wanted to know if you must use white grapes or if it is okay to use red grapes as well. If so, what red grapes would go good to ferment with the Pinot Grigio juice? Any suggestions and input is appreciated.

If you put something other than Pinot Grigio grapes in your must, it will not be Pinot Grigio.

If you don't care, put whatever you like, that's one of the beauties of home winemaking, the combinations are endless.

OK, So let me ask.. What are you trying to achieve by blending your pinot grigio with a red grape??? Are you not happy with the pinot? is there some sort of wine fault? Are you just trying to change the wine's profile?

If you have a fault with your pinot, and are trying to blend out badness, it has been my experience that when blending 5 gallons of bad wine with 5 gallons of good wine, you end up with 10 gallons of bad wine.

Speaking as the resident wine snob, Pinot Grigio is fantastic all by itself, so I was just wondering what you were trying to achieve.....

I'm hoping to get some guidance on a Pinot Grigio winemaking project I will be doing in April. This is the first time I'm making a white wine and will be using 6 gallons of Pinot Grigio juice. I wanted to know if you must use white grapes or if it is okay to use red grapes as well. If so, what red grapes would go good to ferment with the Pinot Grigio juice? Any suggestions and input is appreciated.

It would seem that you are heading to make a blend of your own for consumption at a party or sitting around a pool on a hot summer day!!! Do a Wikipedia search on the PG. Somewhere in there you can find a profile and info which may be useful in making an enjoyable blend. You may want to experiment with some commercial wines to get an idea what might be an acceptable combo for you...:HB

If you're feeling adventurous, go for it. If you're researching the common methodology for white wine, then you don't add any grapes or raisins. The juice is all you need. Cheers.

The only thing i would put into Pinot Grigio is a little med char oak. Pinot Grigio Is like the best summer time wine there is.:ib

Back