Mosti Mondiale What to top off with?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertb

Junior
Reaction score
I recently received a Mosti Mondiale Barolo kit. This is my first Mosti Mondiale kit, and I am excited about getting it started. I do wonder what I should use to top it off after I rack it. The Barolo wines are far too expensive to use. Any suggestions?

Robert

Trader Joe's has a cheap Barolo for $15 if you can fine one. Barolo is made from the Nebbiolo grape look for that in your local haunts in the Italian wine section. Just all depends on how much you want to spend in the end. Worse comes to worse any dry red italian wine would be my first choice over anything else probably.

If you just need one bottle then it really wont matter as long as its dry and the same color. Once you start needing more then one then it becomes more necessary to get one more similar.

Thank you for the replies. It seems that I usually end up topping off with about 2 bottles, so I am not sure what I will do. I just do not want to top off with an inferior barolo that might be at a reasonable price.

Robert, it seems like you may be leaving a lot behind being careful not to rack any sediment over. Consider saving all of your sediment to wine bottles with an air lock. Within days you will have bottles half full of sediment and half full of good wine to use for topping up with.

Even with excellent racking skills you will still be short a bottle (at least) if you are topping up a new Italian carboy!

I don't like to add commercial wines to what I am trying to create. After racking I add sanitized marbles to displace the extra space. The next time you rack it this will also allow you to get the siphone "bell" a little lower, (but not so low as to suck in sediment) and retain more.

If you use marbles though.....take it from (a rather painful) experience.... don't get a drill mounted stirrer too deep or you will create projectiles and potentially knock a hole in the side or your carboy.:dg

Robert, it seems like you may be leaving a lot behind being careful not to rack any sediment over. Consider saving all of your sediment to wine bottles with an air lock. Within days you will have bottles half full of sediment and half full of good wine to use for topping up with.

You know, if you just look around for a while, you find the most awesome tips. This is one of them, thanks.:try

Latest posts

Back