What size carboys?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadpupp

Reaction score
Hey all-

I am just getting started and found a friend of a friend who is selling a number of different used glass carboys.

$15-20 each.

3 gal
6.5 gal

I have a single 6 gallon and shortly will be putting my first kit into it.

The plans for now are to do several kit wines and I could see myself doing fresh juice perhaps in the fall. I'm not sure about country wines, at least for awhile.

It seems like most of the kits are 6 gallons.

What do you recommend I buy to add to my arsenal?

Thanks!

I'd buy as many of the 6.5, 6 and 5 as you can afford, in that order. At least around here, those are darned good prices, and you'll need them sooner than you think. ;)

I found two 7.5-gallon used carboys locally at $35 each and I am so glad I bought them. They have been really handy, since those 2 will go into 3 of the 5-gallon size.

I'm going to go a different route. I like the 5 gallon carboys. With juice buckets you start with 6 gallons and end with about 5.5 gallons. Excess from the 5's will go into gallons, 1/2 gallons, 3 liter, and 1.5 liter bottles. I currently have 4-3 gallon. Wish I had a few more.

I suppose I should have "outed" myself in my reply and said I've never made a kit or juice bucket wine. I'm interested in making 10 or 15 gallons at a time of a "scratch" wine from fruit or a frozen concentrate - I figure it's the same work, more wine.

I found that with the kit wines, where you are using juice, it's nice to have a 6 gallon carboy to ferment in, and a 5 gallon to rack it into.

If you have a bad back, buy several of the 3 gallons. They are much easier to pickup.

You will need at least one 6 gallon to match the one you already have.

Roadpupp, if you think you are in this for the long term, I would get an assortment of sizes. I am one that does not "top off" wine when I make it with either water or a similar wine. Rather, I keep downsizing the carboys. I start with a 6 gallon then go to a 5 plus maybe a 1/2 gallon, depending on the sediment. This way, I don't have to worry about having wine to top off and my carboys are always full.

Two answers for you; I myself have all 3 gallon carboys and like this set up. I can come up with enough fruit to make country fruit wines easier for a 3 gallon batch. I can buy one juice bucket and split it and make two different wines. Same with kits.

Now on the other hand, 6.5 gal carboys sell for about $40 new while 3 gal carboys sell for about $25 new. So money wise it would be better to buy the bigger ones used and down the road if you want to add smaller ones and can't find used then you won't have to pay as much for the 3 gal ones.

I prefer 6 gallon carboys. For sure I would get those before the 6.5's as they are hard to find. Personally if you can't buy them all, I would would go for the six and three gallons and maybe a five.

As you can see everyone has different opinions on this. No one opinion is wrong or better then the other. The best answer is eventually you'll need all of them including 1 and 1/2 gallon sizes when racking down. Think about what your going to be making through 2012 and go with what you think will best suit your needs.

That is really a great price on those carboys - I would ask to see if he would make a complete package deal ? Then hold and use them and the ones you are not using or dislike -resell them on craigslist

Good Luck
Steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I haven't found a carboy size that I didn't like. I don't have a 5.5 but know I would love one. I like to do secondary and fine in the 6.5, rack down to a 6 when clear for aging. Often I will bleed off a gallon for blending and rack down to a 5. I like the 3s for sweet kits and blending.
I keep about six kits going all the time and if I had all the carboys I wanted it would be as follows: Three 6.5s, four 6s, two 5.5s (if they really exist) and three 3s. I can dream can't I?

Great prices. Good friend. Buy what you can afford. Like others have said, get an assortment. As you rack, it is better to go smaller rather than top off or have air space in a carboy. I wish I had more 3 gallon because I would like to bottle 2 gallons to drink and then do long term storage of the rest.

I haven't found a carboy size that I didn't like. I don't have a 5.5 but know I would love one. I like to do secondary and fine in the 6.5, rack down to a 6 when clear for aging. Often I will bleed off a gallon for blending and rack down to a 5. I like the 3s for sweet kits and blending.
I keep about six kits going all the time and if I had all the carboys I wanted it would be as follows: Three 6.5s, four 6s, two 5.5s (if they really exist) and three 3s. I can dream can't I?

lol....i really wouldn't call it dreaming....i have (1) 6.5, (4) 6s, (6) 5s, (3) 3s, (2) 1s, and (1) 1/2 (kind of on a loooonnnngggg term loan from an old friend)....lol...

lol....i really wouldn't call it dreaming....i have (1) 6.5, (4) 6s, (6) 5s, (3) 3s, (2) 1s, and (1) 1/2 (kind of on a loooonnnngggg term loan from an old friend)....lol...

Those are the best kind of loans. I want your carboy collection.

g8keeper made me think about what glassware I have out there in the cabinets...

2 - 7.5 gallon (they hold 7-5/8 gallons, I guess that's around 29 liters, and I've never seen any this big anywhere else. I told the guy if he wants to sell the other 2, I want first dibs)

1 - 6 gallon

6 - 5 gallon

3 - 1 gallon

1 - 3 liter (handy to rack off the 1 gallon)

2 - 3 gallon glass primaries

1 - 5 gallon old pickle jar

The 7.5s are always in use, the 5s are next up for popularity, and the 6 is kinda a loner...

g8keeper made me think about what glassware I have out there in the cabinets...

2 - 7.5 gallon (they hold 7-5/8 gallons, I guess that's around 29 liters, and I've never seen any this big anywhere else. I told the guy if he wants to sell the other 2, I want first dibs)

1 - 6 gallon

6 - 5 gallon

3 - 1 gallon

1 - 3 liter (handy to rack off the 1 gallon)

2 - 3 gallon glass primaries

1 - 5 gallon old pickle jar

The 7.5s are always in use, the 5s are next up for popularity, and the 6 is kinda a loner...

my 6.5 is my loner....only use that as a primary when making my liquor base, or when i was doing beer....

my 6.5 is my loner....only use that as a primary when making my liquor base, or when i was doing beer....

Yeah, I'd like to find another 6 cheap somewhere close and then it would have a buddy. But I'd really like to find 2 to 4 more of those 7.5s! Those are the cat's whiskers! Transfer easily between those and 5s with no topping up, since they are really a tad more than 7-5/8 gallons.

Dang this forum makes me thirsty! :h Never fails.

Latest posts

Back