Damn, broke a carboy today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratflinger

3 streets from Hell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glass 6-gallon. Fortunately it was just after cleaning so no wine was lost - whew. Slipped as I was putting it back on my shelf. I have excess Better Bottles so I think I'll replace it with that, it's much lighter and plus when I see empty carboys I want to fill them! Thinking I might want to replace them all (glass), I don't see any 6.5 gal plastic carboys, but the the Fermonster 7 gal, should be good for the kill jars since there is still plenty of CO2 left. Might go ahead and get a couple of Fermonster 6-gal too.

Anyone seen any downsides to the Fermonster products?

I've moved away from the glass carboys, but still keep a few in the rotation. I've migrated toward the Spiedel containers that range from 3-100 gallons.

I've found them used and replaced the seals, but I really like the "square" 15.9 (60L) containers and have purchased 3 of them @ $99 with free shipping.

I've moved away from the glass carboys, but still keep a few in the rotation. I've migrated toward the Speidel containers that range from 3-100 gallons.

I've found them used and replaced the seals, but I really like the "square" 15.9 (60L) containers and have purchased 3 of them @ $99 with free shipping.
I like the Speidels also, I have 2x 30L that I use for my fermenters. I wish they had 6 gal.

They aren’t suitable for long term aging because of the wide mouth, and therefore lots of headspace. I use them for juice buckets and kits, where skin packs are used. I’ll put the wine in at SG=1.020 and let it sit for at least two weeks. Then the wine goes to glass.

Same as Bob... I have two and use them for smaller ferments or EM as a secondary container once fermentation is down to 1.010 or so. Then I rack to a carboy. I like them because of the wider mouth and ability to easily move skins from primary into them, and then of course out again.

I do wish they had a version without a spigot. That being said, I also use it to fill bottles from. I move wine from a carboy to the Fermonster, with any final additions like sulfite and or glycerine, then bottle from the spigot.

One final thought is that they are really thin. I’ve used mine for several years and find it far easier to move it with their carrying strap. Ok, a few final thoughts. I also purchased the lid without a hole and drilled my own for a smaller bung size. The larger breathable bung was too stiff to release gas buildup and the unit would pressurize. The smaller hole accommodates a bung with an airlock at first, then a smaller breathable bung that works just fine until the end of EM. And get the tool to remove the lid. It’s so much easier.

I don't like the Fermonster cap since I couldn’t get it to seal/ ie an airlock to bubble. At some point I was hunting for an answer and found 120 mm silicone bowl covers. Since then I have used them for the initial six months, ,, but not years of storage. When it stops outgassing I add a glass plate on top of the silicone (silicone transmits oxygen).
2AF86DD3-F7E3-415E-BC22-5F5C89A63931.jpeg
I currently have two Fermonsters and an assortment of other food grade PET with 120 mm threads and a few 120 mm glass. (The photo is a two gallon glass WallyWorld pickle jar.)

Glass 6-gallon. Fortunately it was just after cleaning so no wine was lost - whew. Slipped as I was putting it back on my shelf. I have excess Better Bottles so I think I'll replace it with that, it's much lighter and plus when I see empty carboys I want to fill them! Thinking I might want to replace them all (glass), I don't see any 6.5 gal plastic carboys, but the the Fermonster 7 gal, should be good for the kill jars since there is still plenty of CO2 left. Might go ahead and get a couple of Fermonster 6-gal too.

Must be going around. I dropped a 6-gallon glass carboy just as I was placing it on a stand to dry after cleaning; it was really slippery and it got away from me. I made a mistake that I want to share. As the carboy was falling, I instinctively tried to catch it. However, it broke while I had my hands on it. The shards of glass cut me in one place on the right hand, two on the left hand, and one on the left wrist.

I was very lucky; the cut across my left wrist, while it cut across the veins, was a shallow cut. I could have been in very serious condition, but thankfully, it wound up being a flesh wound. Needless to say, I will never handle a wet carboy again!

So, be careful everyone.

I was very lucky; the cut across my left wrist, while it cut across the veins, was a shallow cut. I could have been in very serious condition, but thankfully, it wound up being a flesh wound. Needless to say, I will never handle a wet carboy again!
I'm happy to hear you're ok.

Whenever I pickup a carboy, I wrap one hand around the neck and lift from the bottom with the other hand. I never dropped and shattered one, but I've lost grip on a few, and was lucky that nothing bad happened.

If anyone has a concrete floor (mine is vinyl tile on concrete, which is no less hard), it's very easy to damage a carboy. I tipped over a 3 gallon (thankfully empty!) carboy and it shattered. I put down foam workout mats and place carboys on them, instead of directly on the floor.

I have several better bottle carboys that I use and work quite well

I don't like the Fermonster cap since I couldn’t get it to seal/ ie an airlock to bubble

Agreed. The o-ring is really small. I use Fermonsters when CO2 is still being generated. So if the lid doesn’t seal immediately I swap it out with another. It’s only happened once.

My 7’s, 6’s, 3’s, and 1’s don’t have spigots. Didn’t know they were an option. Not sure if I would prefer a spigot or not.

I have several better bottle carboys that I use and work quite well
Right, I use BB as my bulk storage & have 8. Too bad you can't get them new anymore. I used my glass as the 1st & 2nd rack and then the filter into bulk. I've ordered 1 FerMonster to test how it works before I move ahead. I do like the idea of lighter weight carboys, that won't break so easily.

Agreed. The o-ring is really small. I use Fermonsters when CO2 is still being generated. So if the lid doesn’t seal immediately I swap it out with another. It’s only happened once.

My 7’s, 6’s, 3’s, and 1’s don’t have spigots. Didn’t know they were an option. Not sure if I would prefer a spigot or not.
IIRC the spigot is optional on all of them, I don't use spigots either, never saw the need.

I have used one of these for every carboy I have. Makes things much safer and easier. Like others above, I lift with the handle, but then as soon as I can get my fingers under the bottom I lift with both hands. The netting works well with my plastic carboys. Crossing my fingers, haven't dropped out broke one yet. 🤞

Zelerdo 1 Pack Carboy Carrier... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZMS1R1J?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have used one of these for every carboy I have. Makes things much safer and easier. Like others above, I lift with the handle, but then as soon as I can get my fingers under the bottom I lift with both hands. The netting works well with my plastic carboys. Crossing my fingers, haven't dropped out broke one yet. 🤞

Zelerdo 1 Pack Carboy Carrier... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZMS1R1J?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I use a webbing strap system for full carboys too. I got rid of the handles
That go around the neck though. I heard they can lead to carboys breaking if you try to lift them full.

Washing is the most precarious time. The soap and sanitizer makes the carboys very slippery.

Snapped the neck right off a glass carboy using one of those orange handles... haven't used one since.

I grasp the neck with my right (dominate) hand. Tilt the carboy to my right and towards me so that I can slip left hand under carboy. Then I lift with the left and tuck into my body, giving me multiple points of contact.

Having said that, this year I have acquired two 225l barrels along with 15.5 and 5 liter stainless steel kegs. I'll be using those three sizes and using glass only when I need less than that for top up. I just prefer things that don't break!!!

Right, I had a handle on it and bumped a full 6.5. Fortunately only the empty broke. I hit it up on the shoulder, I was surprised it broke, but I've had this one for about 13 years so previous dings may have weakened it. I really try to not pick up carboys except for cleaning but I'm getting older so switching to all plastic is not such a bad idea.

I'm glad the damage was minimal with only a broken carboy and no lost wine. Probably would have scared the bejesus out of me!

My brother in law had a plastic fermenter fail which split in the middle causing juice to spill over his tile floor staining the grout. Dave (Vinny) knocked over a carboy maybe last year so it happens. I bought a few over size fermentation buckets to put my carboys in and use a tote (8 gallon) for my plastic fermenters. Yeah .. might be over cautious but I've sorta lived my life by "plan for the worst and hope for the best". I've not had very good luck buying used carboys. Bought two advertised at 6 gallons but when I got them home they were 7 gallon and another purchase was not 6 but 5 gallon. Tried to buy some 3 gallon from my local shop but all four they had in the boxes were cracked.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back