What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making up a big pepperoni chub for tomorrow's pizza cook. Cured overnight, just added ECA (encapsulated citric acid) and stuffed, hanging in the smoker to dry a bit, then will smoke to an IT of 155*F or so (part pork). Down the road I'll do a ferment using one of the bacterium available at the sausage supply sites, was just in a hurry since it's actually quite warm today (in the 50s).

1-27-24_pepperoni.jpg

When my Son was home over the holidays, we got my Sammy Tablet set up to do video chat calls with Signal. He just texted a few minutes a go and we've been chatting for a while, wifey came home and instantly stole the tablet from me, lol.

I learned something I didn't know, propane becomes pretty useless as a heating source when the temps get -40*F or less, it turns to a gel and won't burn (water component in the hydrocarbon bonds I guess, ask one of the scientists here, I'm only computer science). So his house has three heat sources, oil, propane and a wood stove. They're using the wood stove as they have were having issues with the heating oil (the tank is outside, lol!), guess the fuel pump froze up and broke.

House is running around 50*, so not life threatening yet (-50*F outside). He's about to go get some heating oil as the 300 gallon tank is down to 8 inches (we think 44 gallons left). They just got a new fuel pump this morning. I guess life can be exciting in the winter in Alaska.

Mrs WM81 and I took our elder son out for lunch, then we racked his ginger beer into a carboy. We're going to bottle in 2 weeks.

He has custody of a barrel of Sangiovese, so we topped the barrel, taste testing the barrel wine vs. the topup. As expected the topup is fruitier, the barrel after 6 weeks is mellower. He tasted a bit of acid in the barrel's aftertaste, which I didn't. Of course, his tastebuds are 30+ years younger than mine ...

His next ferment is a raspberry-lime cider kit, and after that we're going to make another chocolate-peanut butter porter.

When my Son was home over the holidays, we got my Sammy Tablet set up to do video chat calls with Signal. He just texted a few minutes a go and we've been chatting for a while, wifey came home and instantly stole the tablet from me, lol.

I learned something I didn't know, propane becomes pretty useless as a heating source when the temps get -40*F or less, it turns to a gel and won't burn (water component in the hydrocarbon bonds I guess, ask one of the scientists here, I'm only computer science). So his house has three heat sources, oil, propane and a wood stove. They're using the wood stove as they have were having issues with the heating oil (the tank is outside, lol!), guess the fuel pump froze up and broke.

House is running around 50*, so not life threatening yet (-50*F outside). He's about to go get some heating oil as the 300 gallon tank is down to 8 inches (we think 44 gallons left). They just got a new fuel pump this morning. I guess life can be exciting in the winter in Alaska.

Liquid propane:

1707000927809.png

Changed oil in the cars today, topped up all fluids, checked brakes, aired up tires. Prior to doing that, I stuck every Ha Ha Tonka CD I have in a cartridge for my Pioneer CD player out in the farm shop and played them all through my Infiniti speakers... awesome! Afterward, pushed eject and the damned thing would not eject! GRRRR!!!! And people wonder why I drink!!!

A propane tank's cold temperature limit is -44 degrees Fahrenheit — at that point, propane turns from a gas to a liquid. Propane can only heat your home when it's in a gaseous state, not when it's a liquid. Your storage tank keeps propane in its gaseous form under high pressure.

Also Google Meet is a great free Video Chat app for both Android or Apple.

A propane tank's cold temperature limit is -44 degrees Fahrenheit — at that point, propane turns from a gas to a liquid. Propane can only heat your home when it's in a gaseous state, not when it's a liquid. Your storage tank keeps propane in its gaseous form under high pressure.

Also Google Meet is a great free Video Chat app for both Android or Apple.
The Signal app seemed to work pretty well, free as well, and I could teach my Wife how to use the tablet and fire the app up.

He tried to fire the propane unit up this afternoon, looks like the temps there are a balmy -32*F, but the unit errored out, no fuel source. Must take a bit of energy to get the propane liquid state to change back to gas. I think there is a name for that when dealing with water, just not sure it applies to liquid propane.

Fortunately it's in the 40s here during the day, hoping to either do some ribs or a pork butt in the vertical smoker tomorrow.

The Signal app seemed to work pretty well, free as well, and I could teach my Wife how to use the tablet and fire the app up.

He tried to fire the propane unit up this afternoon, looks like the temps there are a balmy -32*F, but the unit errored out, no fuel source. Must take a bit of energy to get the propane liquid state to change back to gas. I think there is a name for that when dealing with water, just not sure it applies to liquid propane.

Fortunately it's in the 40s here during the day, hoping to either do some ribs or a pork butt in the vertical smoker tomorrow.
did ribs today, but it was a heat wave here in
Arkansas in the 50's, jeeze yawl are killing me, in younger day while traveling , i been in 40 below and never forgot that a walk from my truck 30 feet to motel door and both hands next morning look like they had oil on them, but when i went to wash them i knew then what mild frostbite was, Lord have mercy on yawl,
Dawg

did ribs today, but it was a heat wave here in
Arkansas in the 50's, jeeze yawl are killing me, in younger day while traveling , i been in 40 below and never forgot that a walk from my truck 30 feet to motel door and both hands next morning look like they had oil on them, but when i went to wash them i knew then what mild frostbite was, Lord have mercy on yawl,
Dawg

'Twas 68 here and another skeeter died trying to get me in the back pasture. :D

Back