What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started a wine project I’ve been contemplating for some time. I’m out of my summer wine, and decided to take a quick refresher course before the Fall grapes arrive.

60 pounds (15 - 4 pound bags from Sams) of triple berry fruit in the 25 gallon fermenter, added 2 gallons of water and a full dose of EX-V and let it sit about 18 hours, nice and broken down this morning. Really can’t discern any whole berries anymore, other than a few blueberries here and there. Chaptalized it up to 23 BRIX and checked the pH, at 3.26, and TA at 6.8. 1.5 tsp of tannin powder and Fermaid K were added to the fermenter and stirred in well. Pitched two packets of K1-V1116, put the lid on, and let er rip.

hqdefault.jpg

Started a wine project I’ve been contemplating for some time. I’m out of my summer wine, and decided to take a quick refresher course before the Fall grapes arrive.

60 pounds (15 - 4 pound bags from Sams) of triple berry fruit in the 25 gallon fermenter, added 2 gallons of water and a full dose of EX-V and let it sit about 18 hours, nice and broken down this morning. Really can’t discern any whole berries anymore, other than a few blueberries here and there. Chaptalized it up to 23 BRIX and checked the pH, at 3.26, and TA at 6.8. 1.5 tsp of tannin powder and Fermaid K were added to the fermenter and stirred in well. Pitched two packets of K1-V1116, put the lid on, and let er rip.
View attachment 50875

I was going to do a fresh peach but lost my window. Grapes coming tomorrow, potentially next weekend and definately the weekend after that.

I’m not expecting grapes until end of September / early October. Figured a little test run to get my wine brain in gear was in order.

Man that’s something i need to do as well. As much I love bold reds, so many more loved this “triple berry summer blend” as I called it. Plus I had rosè last summer too
And got lots of shit this summer for not having any summer drink to dish out. Will not make that same mistake again. What’s your intended finished volume ?

Man that’s something i need to do as well. As much I love bold reds, so many more loved this “triple berry summer blend” as I called it. Plus I had rosè last summer too
And got lots of shit this summer for not having any summer drink to dish out. Will not make that same mistake again. What’s your intended finished volume ?

I’m not 100% sure, not having done it like this before, but am planning to get 4 gallons from the 60 # of fruit, and I added 2 gallons water, for an anticipated 6 gallons. Looking at the fruit slurry, it’s a good 8 or 9 gallons worth, so it should be pretty close if I get 70% or so from the must.

This is my next summer batch, wifey an friends finished off the remnants of my last batch. Kinda shooting for a bigger, fruitier, little more octane in this batch, and feel like I’ve got a pretty good fruit content to pull off the higher ABV, guess time will tell.

... little more octane in this batch, ...
I am buzzing through a bunch of posts since I haven't been on here most of the week, and I thought for a moment that you said "little more cocaine in this batch" and that made me think "no wonder everyone loves his wine". Sorry, couldn't resist sharing that, I'm still laughing at myself, I think I haven't been drinking enough, time for another beer!

I am buzzing through a bunch of posts since I haven't been on here most of the week, and I thought for a moment that you said "little more cocaine in this batch" and that made me think "no wonder everyone loves his wine". Sorry, couldn't resist sharing that, I'm still laughing at myself, I think I haven't been drinking enough, time for another beer!

LOL!!! That would send the price per bottle through the roof!!

today I Racked 5 gallons of skeeter pee and added stabilizing chemicals....then I bottled 5 gallons of Rhubarb Riesling....can't wait to drink it

Last edited by a moderator:
After a weekend of rain, wondering if I should go buy one of those battery driven sump pumps with Florence heading towards the east coast? My current setup is running about every 3 minutes or so. It's so wet around these parts that I could probably go push about any tree in my yard with my bare hands and topple it over. I expect to have a lack of electric most of the coming weekend. It's either that or a small generator.

Guess I'll get another beer and think about it...

After a weekend of rain, wondering if I should go buy one of those battery driven sump pumps with Florence heading towards the east coast? My current setup is running about every 3 minutes or so. It's so wet around these parts that I could probably go push about any tree in my yard with my bare hands and topple it over. I expect to have a lack of electric most of the coming weekend. It's either that or a small generator.

I don't know what they cost, but I'd consider it.

You are closer to the "bulls eye" of the heavier rain (and wind), do you have one? (FYI, you can get the whole setup, including battery for $300 or less, I'm just a frugal person (cheapskate))

We don't. But I can tell you a month or so ago when we went through 24 hours of heavy rain, our sump was running about 30 seconds at a time, and then resting for about a minute. I was worried. Good news is we don't tend to lose power here (fingers crossed).

I don't know what they cost, but I'd consider it.

A beer? Jim, they are like ~$8 for a sixpack for fairly decent stuff. You can get swill for < $1 a bottle. Don't hesitate, just grab one! You only live once!

Got lots of work at the office today but was up late at the final show of the year for Dave Matthews band summer tour. They always seem to step it up on the final night, they brought out Mark Batson for a couple of songs. Brought out an approximately 12 piece string section for 3 songs and added an additional 3 members to the horns (studio musicians from the album I'm guessing). The whole show was more eclectic and leaned more Jazzy than Rock but absolutely one of my favorites of the 16 or so times we've seen them. I love the sound and atmosphere at the Hollywood Bowl, BUT, it just plain sucks after the show because they stack the cars nose to tail maybe 20 deep. We were only 3 cars from the tail and it still took an hour and a half before we could even back out.
Dave.jpg cls500.jpg

Something has changed at the Bowl as far as parking. Our kids in Burbank have season tickets with preferred parking which is stacked and literally only 20 feet from the exit on N Highland and the last three times we have gone they have made us wait for an hour (or more) to exit. Its one thing to have to wait for the person in front of you to get back to their car so you can leave as your pinned in but when everyone is back in their car ready to go and the Bowl traffic people just completely ignore you for an hour or more and won't stop traffic to let you go............

I love the sound and atmosphere at the Hollywood Bowl, BUT, it just plain sucks after the show because they stack the cars nose to tail maybe 20 deep. We were only 3 cars from the tail and it still took an hour and a half before we could even back out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back