What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressed the 60# Triple Berry wine this morning, it was a holy freaking mess. Blueberries act and press much like grapes do, but that quantity of raspberries and blackberries are a different story all together. Since it was only about 8 gallons of must, I just dumped it through my basket press after its final punchdown. The first few gallons came out just like you'd expect, but the little particles of blackberries, raspberries and their seeds quickly locked up the slats in my wooden press. I'm sure the EX-V didn't help the situation either. In the end, it really just took a little longer than it should, stirring and waiting for the wine to drain out of the slurry in the basket so that I could actually get down to pressing. Ended up with a little cake about 3" thick. Pretty small amount of pomace for 60# of fruit.

The wine is in 6 gallon and three gallon carboys, both filled to about the shoulders, so about 7.5 or 8 gallons at the moment, though I'd expect to lose another gallon or so to gross lees when they are left behind this weekend. It's a super dark, very fruity smelling concoction at the moment, not as dark as a cab, just a tad lighter. Hope it doesn't suck.

Had a nice day at a golf tournament. First time I had the clubs out in about 10 years. The first few holes where ugly. After that, driving and ground game improved. Mid game remained in the mediocre range all day. Great to get out, drink some beer, smoke a decent cigar and chase a little ball around a field all day.

Last edited:
Got some of my buddies together and moved our full-size piano out of our house and brought it to my sister's house. Then we drove and bought a half height piano and brought it down into our basement. Lots of heavy lifting but then we celebrated with some whisky including Johnny Walker blue.

Coached baseball this morning. Then I scalped the lawn, which involved mowing it 3 times at decreasing heights. Then I spread 4 cubic yards of topsoil in the front yard (had a lot of low spots and divots from the 'big digs' earlier in the year. Then I fertilized and seeded. I'm dying!

I should have been doing an 8-9 mile run today (backing off distance before next weekend's half marathon) - I think that would have been easier.

Went to a winery auction yesterday to bid on 90 cases of wine bottles. I assumed they were bordeaux but turned out to be burgundy. Which was fine at the right price. Was willing to go up to $4 per case. Well I bid $1.50 and thought I had it but the auctioneer was going so fast I didn't realize someone bid $1.75. All of a sudden he said sold for $1.75. That's just under $2 a case. A little disappionted today.

I went to brunch, initiated by my youngest daughter calling and saying she hadn't seen myself or my other daughter in a long time. This was totally out of character for my daughter. Peaked my senses very much. She and her husband announced that we will be grandparents again, in April. Grandchildren are your reward for not smothering your children. [emoji16][emoji4][emoji6]

Rode the tractor pulling the harrow up at the property ad nauseum. We dug a 6 acre lake and moved about 16,000 cubic yards to form an elevated pad, and poured two concrete slabs on top. In two weeks, we’ll have our manufactured homes delivered and connected to utilities. After inspections and power connection, we’ll be enjoying a lot more living space during hunting season, and we need it! Pond will fill entirely in the spring and we’ll get it stocked for fishing. Hope all this crap doesn’t interfere with grape delivery.......

Went to a winery auction yesterday to bid on 90 cases of wine bottles. I assumed they were bordeaux but turned out to be burgundy. Which was fine at the right price. Was willing to go up to $4 per case. Well I bid $1.50 and thought I had it but the auctioneer was going so fast I didn't realize someone bid $1.75. All of a sudden he said sold for $1.75. That's just under $2 a case. A little disappionted today.

Bummer!

Well, so much for my 4 cubic yards... :e

LOL!! Sorry, wasn’t trying to out yard you!! Moving 4 yards of soil by hand is a big chore, we had some of the biggest equipment I’ve seen working on this project. I’ll have to post some pics next weekend, it’s just not very impressive without water in it.......

Rode the tractor pulling the harrow up at the property ad nauseum. We dug a 6 acre lake and moved about 16,000 cubic yards to form an elevated pad, and poured two concrete slabs on top. In two weeks, we’ll have our manufactured homes delivered and connected to utilities. After inspections and power connection, we’ll be enjoying a lot more living space during hunting season, and we need it! Pond will fill entirely in the spring and we’ll get it stocked for fishing. Hope all this crap doesn’t interfere with grape delivery.......

Is the lake completely dug or did you build a berm?

LOL!! Sorry, wasn’t trying to out yard you!! Moving 4 yards of soil by hand is a big chore, we had some of the biggest equipment I’ve seen working on this project. I’ll have to post some pics next weekend, it’s just not very impressive without water in it.......

Just messing with ya! ;)

Is the lake completely dug or did you build a berm?

Combo of both. 15 + feet deep (below natural grade) in places, levees average 3 - 4 feet above natural grade. This area floods every spring, so that will fill er up, then hold it in up to the discharge spillway.

Last edited:
Took half a day off to be around when the Lowe's delivery guys showed up. Bearings in the front load washer seized up, so we ordered a new washer and dryer (dryer was 25 years old, not drying as well as it used to). Had to use rigid vent material since this dryer runs a bit hotter. Figured out why the other dryer didn't work as well as it used to. Found a birds nest blocking 75% of the old duct (didn't have any type of screen, new one does). Drank close to an half an 18 pack of beer trying to assemble the 4" vent material. Found out the hard way that gloves are a necessity (lost many slivers of skin from my fingers). As I always admit, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Anyhow, everything seems to work pretty well. Only $1700 and two weeks to wait for delivery. Wife picked them out and she's happy (priceless). Can't imagine what it would have cost later this year when most of the tariffs take effect. I guess if you need a washer or dryer, buy them now if you can!

Lot's of people here getting grapes and crushing today. many good wines to come. Mine are bulk aging finishing different stages of MLF.

So what's this lucky devil doing today? Up on my third floor roof fixing leaks and then putting a fresh silver sealer coat on.

But I did take a few photos while up there.

Looking north:

_DSC3645_3875.jpg

Looking West:

_DSC3646_3876.jpg

Deck:

_DSC3653_3883.jpg

Latest posts

Back