What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home with my youngest daughter. She started running a fever yesterday and hung out on the couch all day, which is not her normal self. She still has a fever this morning but did eat some breakfast, so not all is lost.

Guess if I'm stuck home all day I could do some wine projects. Have three carboys to rack and clean, a batch of Blueberry concentrate to move out of the primary so I can mix up my WE SE Int Brunello kit. Times a wasting sitting here typing this so it's off to the kitchen.

Home with my youngest daughter. She started running a fever yesterday and hung out on the couch all day, which is not her normal self. She still has a fever this morning but did eat some breakfast, so not all is lost.

Always a tug on the heartstrings when your child isn't well. Hope she's feeling better soon

Always a tug on the heartstrings when your child isn't well. Hope she's feeling better soon

Thanks for the concern. Her major issue is she hates to take medicine, whether it's a decongestant or something for her fever. She was fine today. I made some chicken soup from scratch (broth and noodles only) and after that she slept on the couch most of the afternoon.

Mom is home now so all is well!

Sitting at home, sent all of my employees home due to some severe weather headed our way, schools closed. Confirmed tornado on the ground SW of me, headed NE, lovely. Trajectory and speed puts it here at 4:40 CST, we'll see what happens. Either way, some wine's gonna get consumed in a little while.

Sitting at home, sent all of my employees home due to some severe weather headed our way, schools closed. Confirmed tornado on the ground SW of me, headed NE, lovely. Trajectory and speed puts it here at 4:40 CST, we'll see what happens. Either way, some wine's gonna get consumed in a little while.

Looks nasty! Stay safe, John.

I hope you make it thru ok, take care.

Johnd, we are toasting your good fortune!!! Happy to hear you got by relatively unscathed....

Johnd, we are toasting your good fortune!!! Happy to hear you got by relatively unscathed....

Thank you all for the good wishes and kind words, we made out just fine. We don't get much tornadic activity down here, other than inside of a hurricane. Lots of folks didn't fare so well, but thankfully, I've only seen reports of one fatality.

Burning the candle at both ends seems to be an ongoing theme with my weekends.

This weekend I have my niece's engagement party on Saturday, and a family "February Birthday" early dinner on Sunday.

To make matters worse, we have my sister in law coming up from Atlanta to visit with us for several days. This means that we have to get the house in order so she does not know what slobs we are.

Additionally, I need to purchase and have delivered a new washing machine. Our old one (almost 30 years old) is leaking badly. To make that even worse, the folks that built my house decided it would be a good idea to put a wood floor in the laundry room. All of that wood flooring is now warped and needs replacing (at some point). I think I will go with a nice tile floor this time.

Oh, and there is the usual errands (grocery shopping, banking, etc) that I also need to do.

To think that I actually wonder why I am so tired come Monday morning!

Wish you would have said something Jim, I am sure I could have gotten you a "smoking deal" on the place we stayed out in Duck a few years ago. :)

Check out the pics on the website. LOL

Today, I'm dreaming. We booked an Outer Banks beach house with some friends last night. Now the long wait for Summer vacation...

Wish you would have said something Jim, I am sure I could have gotten you a "smoking deal" on the place we stayed out in Duck a few years ago. :)

Check out the pics on the website. LOL

I love Duck - usually my preference (my sister had a soundfront house right in the village there for several years). We're going a bit further north this year up into Whalehead.

Today, I'm dreaming. We booked an Outer Banks beach house with some friends last night. Now the long wait for Summer vacation...

We did that several years ago for my oldest daughter's wedding and it was wonderful. There is a place in Duck called Dockside at Duck that has the most incredible crab dip ever. My kids bought them out nearly every day we were there.

Today we played taps, had a moment of silence, and a funeral... My husband and his friend were, apparently, in the wine storage area last weekend and were trying the strawberry / watermelon wine that I have been bulk aging (that was to be bottled this weekend). Well, when I went to check on my port (which I racked today) I saw that they did not replace the air lock on the watermelon. At least five days had passed... The color turned brownish and there was a distinct off, aftertaste to the wine. OXIDIZED! UGH! I had to dump my very first batch of wine EVER... You can not come back from the taste it had... :(

We did that several years ago for my oldest daughter's wedding and it was wonderful. There is a place in Duck called Dockside at Duck that has the most incredible crab dip ever. My kids bought them out nearly every day we were there.

Been there many times. Yum!

Today we played taps, had a moment of silence, and a funeral... My husband and his friend were, apparently, in the wine storage area last weekend and were trying the strawberry / watermelon wine that I have been bulk aging (that was to be bottled this weekend). Well, when I went to check on my port (which I racked today) I saw that they did not replace the air lock on the watermelon. At least five days had passed... The color turned brownish and there was a distinct off, aftertaste to the wine. OXIDIZED! UGH! I had to dump my very first batch of wine EVER... You can not come back from the taste it had... :(

So, did you have separate ceremonies for your husband and his friend, or were they buried together? :ts :ts

So far highlights for the day have been racking a WE California Muscato to one of my Bubblers for 2 months of BA and wacthing last nights DVRing of the Vikings.

At 4:55PM my cell phone alarm goes off giving me permission to pour a glass of wine and sit down with my wife to watch The Five.

Back