What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to bottle my first 2 gallons and I'm so excited! My son dropped by and I was sharing my excitement with him. He said, Mama what are going to do with all this wine? I have 8 (one gal.) different country wines going. I'm old enough for AARP and live alone. Without hesitating I replied, "I'm going to be a wino when I grow up, duh!" He said he would anxiously await me drunk dialing him in the middle of the night. Challenge accepted. I will drunk message y'all to, if ya want me to. Ha

So, did you have separate ceremonies for your husband and his friend, or were they buried together? :ts :ts

I can't release that information. All I can say is that I live near thousands of acres of National Forest....

He's at work. He doesn't even know it happened... I know it was an accident but that was 3 years of planning and hard work :(

Took off Friday to teach a class to make wine making money. finished one part of the class up this morning, the last part next Friday. I hope to have more Fredonia and diamond juice delivered on thursday. Need to finish backsweetening the Fredonia/Catawba and the cranberry pomegranate, then get both into bottles. Set up to do a wine tasting at a cancer fundraiser tomorrow afternoon, then off to my FIL's birthday dinner.

Checked SG on my beer.
Added vanilla beans
Cooked dinner
Had a few beers
Now attempting my 1st homemade green tea

Emptied and reorganized both 400 bottle wine storage cellars, trimmed and pruned all of the landscaping on the property, cleaned up, edged, ran the weed eater, mowed, and blew off the drive and road. Went to the wine store and picked up some top off wine. The wine that needs to be racked out of the barrel, and two others to be degassed will have to wait til tomorrow, I'm whooped and sunburned.

Emptied and reorganized both 400 bottle wine storage cellars, trimmed and pruned all of the landscaping on the property, cleaned up, edged, ran the weed eater, mowed, and blew off the drive and road. Went to the wine store and picked up some top off wine. The wine that needs to be racked out of the barrel, and two others to be degassed will have to wait til tomorrow, I'm whooped and sunburned.

I'm tired just reading that. Goodnight.

What to do when your wife says its time to bottle some wine. 60 bottles of blackberry port and 30 bottles of Viogner later.

That's a nice set of racks. One looks to be a little larger than the other.
Are those made from pine?

Yes, they are from pine. I have two that I purchased from woodland Mills (I think that is the name) they are shorter and sturdier. The other I found on eBay. I prefer the shorter ones, even though they are a bit more expensive.

Yes, after I posted I figured out the difference. I work with wood and the smaller one has more work involved . The large one I'd keep an eye on. By my understanding of woods, the weight in the center may cause it to dip down under the pressure of weight. Each bottle is around 2 pounds 7/8 of an oz. by taking the center 6 bottles I get around 17.25 pounds. If you see the cross member sway (Droop) down, put a brace under it. Hate to know it collapsed under pressure and made a dangerous circumstance , or mess, and to the loose wine. :( Hard wood will take more of a load. Take care and be well.

Dad came by today and we put labels and foils on the 2014 Amador Zin. I had a split saved for him to go with dinner that we had afterward. I stole about an ounce or so for quality control purposes - it's magically delicious!

IMG_3557.jpg

Mass and breakfast with my lovely wife, followed by some limb cutting in the yard, after lunch, the day was mine.

Eclipse Nebbiolo out of barrel 2 and into glass, RJS CC WS Super Tuscan into the barrel. Racked and degassed WE Lodi OVZ, no sorbate or clearing agents. Racked and degassed WE LE Mosaic Red, no sorbate or clearing agents.

Started a DB variant, 6 lbs blueberries, 6 lbs blackberries, 6 lbs raspberries, 10 lbs sugar, 4 gallons water. SG 1.094, 7.9 gal. primary taxed to its limit with all that fruit, but it smells divine.

Screwed up my cider in bottling "I think" and moved a raised bed so I can plant another 6 more Viognier vines.

spent yesterday providing a free tasting of my wines at a fundraiser to fight cancer. Being my mom passed from this and my wife had a cureable cancer, I was more than eager to participate in this event. although I did get some additional exposure for the winery and some wine orders, I was more than happy just to pay my debt against cancer.

We finished up the night at my FIL's 77th birthday dinner and party, where we consumed the remainder of the taster bottles from the fundraiser. Hoping to get more juice on Thursday to fill the tanks.

just when I thought I could start paying back the money I spent to start the winery.....

More juice to come in next week to keep the tanks filled. Diamond, Chambourcin and Fredonia coming in, General Braddock blend (Fredonia/Catawba) put into bottles.

My husband lost his job today. "Restructuring". I have how gone into high alert for figuring what to do next. Unfortunately, this in not uncommon for our area due to the economic recession.

Latest posts

Back