What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband lost his job today. "Restructuring". I have how gone into high alert for figuring what to do next. Unfortunately, this in not uncommon for our area due to the economic recession.

Very sorry to hear that. I've been on both sides of that and it isn't fun. Hoping things work well for you guys.

My husband lost his job today. "Restructuring". I have how gone into high alert for figuring what to do next. Unfortunately, this in not uncommon for our area due to the economic recession.
Sorry to hear that Rayway, I know how you feel, as it happened to me as well two years ago. Things will get better I'm sure.

When my hours were cut way back in 2009 (and my Wife had evolved into a stay at home Mom), I worried, fretted and drank, my Wife quietly prayed. Someday I'll share the whole story, but it turned out well. If I were a praying family, I'd go there first. He's got all the answers.

So sorry to hear that. I went through that several years ago and it was pure he11 at first. But in the end, it was a very good thing for me. It allowed (forced) me to 'reinvent' my career and reevaluate my direction. It turned out for the best and I am better for it. I hope it turns out the same way for him. I'll be thinking about you guys. A door is never closed without a window being opened!

Thank you all so much for the kind words and support. It means the world. We have been exceptionally lucky in that our family and friends have rallied around us to help out.

I'm keeping this saying in mind:

"When a door closes, open it. That's how doors work."

Ray

Off to watch the Change of Command ceremony for my old friend, then several of us old high school friends headed out to celebrate.

Ray,

Make sure to have your husband network and try Indeed.com.

Got a new computer and absolutely hate the touch screen. Give me back my clicker screen.....

Burning the candle at both ends seems to be an ongoing theme with my weekends.

This weekend I have my niece's engagement party on Saturday, and a family "February Birthday" early dinner on Sunday.

To make matters worse, we have my sister in law coming up from Atlanta to visit with us for several days. This means that we have to get the house in order so she does not know what slobs we are.

Additionally, I need to purchase and have delivered a new washing machine. Our old one (almost 30 years old) is leaking badly. To make that even worse, the folks that built my house decided it would be a good idea to put a wood floor in the laundry room. All of that wood flooring is now warped and needs replacing (at some point). I think I will go with a nice tile floor this time.

Oh, and there is the usual errands (grocery shopping, banking, etc) that I also need to do.

To think that I actually wonder why I am so tired come Monday morning!

John T
They make a tray that goes under the washer. It won't hold a big spill, but catches the little ones before you ruin the flooring. The one I had caught the oil from the transmission. Saved the carpet. Arne.

Hoping to get the 6 gallons of the 2014 Carlos/Bronze and the 6 gallons of Muscadine Red bottled today.

Additionally, I need to purchase and have delivered a new washing machine. Our old one (almost 30 years old) is leaking badly. To make that even worse, the folks that built my house decided it would be a good idea to put a wood floor in the laundry room. All of that wood flooring is now warped and needs replacing (at some point). I think I will go with a nice tile floor this time.

John T
They make a tray that goes under the washer. It won't hold a big spill, but catches the little ones before you ruin the flooring. The one I had caught the oil from the transmission. Saved the carpet. Arne.

In addition to Arne's good tip, you should consider upgrading to braided water supply lines (as opposed to the old rubber style). If you have not already done so, it is relatively cheap insurance against a big flood due to a burst hose.

Hoping to get the 6 gallons of the 2014 Carlos/Bronze and the 6 gallons of Muscadine Red bottled today.

Hi! I have heard the Carlos makes a great wine, and have been waiting for some thoughts and opinions on this. How do you feel about this one comparing to other Scuppernongs and Muscadines.
Thanks.

Hi! I have heard the Carlos makes a great wine, and have been waiting for some thoughts and opinions on this. How do you feel about this one comparing to other Scuppernongs and Muscadines.
Thanks.

My husband and really like it, actually we like it better than Noble. It has the traditional muscadine/scuppernongs taste but a little crisper than Magnolia does

And just to let you know this was a blend with the old fashion bronze and carlos

Last edited:
My husband and really like it, actually we like it better than Noble. It has the traditional muscadine/scuppernongs taste but a little crisper than Magnolia does

And just to let you know this was a blend with the old fashion bronze and carlos

Thanks! I heard of this one years ago and never have had luck finding them to make a wine. This year I will track some down for sure. I am going to call the larger Liquor/Wine stores today, curiosity has gotten the best of me.
Thanks again!!

Finally broke down, found everything I needed, threw it in a pile and did my Federal tax return this morning. Much less of a refund this year so I will either have to slowly starve the kids or make less wine. Wife made more money this year which is a very good thing! Maybe I can get her to fund a few of the wines she likes so much.

Borolo out of barrel # 3 to glass, Pinot Noir into barrel. Borolo, mmmmmm.
Degassed and KMS WE NZ Sauvignon Blanc.
Removed and pressed what's left of 18 lbs of loose fruit in my DB variant, poured the bucket through a bag and pressed the sludge. Racked to glass to finish up.
Racked CC Showcase Amarone off fine lees.
Burgers made and ready for the grill, brisket marinating for slow cook on the Primo for Sunday dinner.
Pool heated, kids in pool, wife in bikini...........wino headed out for some sun.

backsweetening day here at the winery. We backsweetened the Cranberry Pomegranate, the General Braddock (a Fredonia/Catawba blend) and blending the Battlefield Blush. Bottling this week.

Latest posts

Back