What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday bottled the last 25 liters of the wedding wine today waiting for my son in law to bring over his quad. We're going to attempt to tear out some bushes with it. :D

Took a belt sander to a brand new scope today. Had to make some clearance for the stripper clip. Worked out better than I expected.

puqedyse.jpg

Yep, 7.62x39. It's a old Russian sks. I kinda turned it into a winter project this year. About the only thing I could hunt with it is deer. But I live in a shotgun county so i would have to go north to be into rifle country. The 7.62 doesn't have quite enough pop for moose and just a hair under powered for bear.

I only got it because the gun and ammo are dirt cheap and the fun factor is off the chart.

Years ago, a buddy took my SKS and put a synthetic stock on it with a real nice scope and bi-pod....the thing looks bad ***, and it is lighter as well. I agree, it is a fun gun to shoot!

Yep, 7.62x39. It's a old Russian sks. I kinda turned it into a winter project this year. About the only thing I could hunt with it is deer. But I live in a shotgun county so i would have to go north to be into rifle country. The 7.62 doesn't have quite enough pop for moose and just a hair under powered for bear.

I only got it because the gun and ammo are dirt cheap and the fun factor is off the chart.

I have a Norinko SKS. Bought it about 20 years ago. You are right, the fun factor id off the chart. Still have some steel core ammo from when I purchased the gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Wine Making mobile app

yep, over 20-25 yrs since I bought mine as well, I'll get a few pics one day, it looks fairly badass...LOL

At .15 cents a round you can't really go wrong. The gun will set you back 150-200 bucks then 1400 rounds of milsurp ammo goes for 200-300 bucks. It all adds up to cheap and dirty fun.

On a side note would it be possible to filter wine through a whole house filter using gravity alone? I could possibly run hose through 4 stories of the house but I have no idea how much presser it takes to pass through a filter. I'm almost willing to bet it would work, the water tank on the roof of our hunting cabin produces just as much psi as the well pump/bladder tank at home.

Has anybody else done it that way? I have a budget for the filter and hoses because I can get a farm discount on the hardware but a all in one pump would be a next year budget project.

And yes I know how bad it sucks lugging 5-6 gallons of wine in a carboy up stairs but it's possible and I seem to be doing it anyways.

Nighttime ramble off/

I remember years ago and, I mean years ago, those sold for around $100. There were piles of them at the local gun shop.

The latest surplus rifle around here is the Mosin-Nagant in 7.62X54. They go in the $130+ range.

RR

On a side note would it be possible to filter wine through a whole house filter using gravity alone? I could possibly run hose through 4 stories of the house but I have no idea how much presser it takes to pass through a filter. I'm almost willing to bet it would work, the water tank on the roof of our hunting cabin produces just as much psi as the well pump/bladder tank at home.

The only thing I can tell you is there is just a little over 4psi head pressure in 10 vertical ft

RR

I bottled the Diamond last night and rinsed bottles so I can get the Syrah bottled. Some how I managed to lose my cap pieces for my double bottle rinser. Guess I'll need to go purchase another one so I can get the cap pieces.. Not looking forward to that since I know as soon as I do I'll find the others. Oh well. Going to try and get the rest of the Chilean bottled this week so that I can start working on blending the PA juice from fall. I also have 7 gallons of Cranberry Lime pee that needs filtered and bottled. I could be very busy depending on how ambitious I am in the evenings. Tonight is fire practice...

Spending our last week in sunny, Estero, Florida (south of Ft. Myers and north of Naples). We picked a great year to spend 5 weeks down here.

WOW! WHAT A DAY!

I bought 31 ez cap bottles for early drinkers yesterday off Cragislist for $1 per bottle. Got all of those cleaned, de-labeled, and sanitized.

Bottled 3gal blackberry DB and 1 spare gallon quadberry DB.

Racked and stabilized 5 gallon Smucker's Strawberry Jam and 3 gallon Blueberry Candy Cane wines.

Racked 5 Gallons Strawberry DB. BTW I don't particularly recommend back-sweeting with frozen Bacardi Strawberry Margarita concentrate. What a MESS!

Shew! I'm tired!

WOW! WHAT A DAY!

I bought 31 ez cap bottles for early drinkers yesterday off Cragislist for $1 per bottle. Got all of those cleaned, de-labeled, and sanitized.

Bottled 3gal blackberry DB and 1 spare gallon quadberry DB.

Racked and stabilized 5 gallon Smucker's Strawberry Jam and 3 gallon Blueberry Candy Cane wines.

Racked 5 Gallons Strawberry DB. BTW I don't particularly recommend back-sweeting with frozen Bacardi Strawberry Margarita concentrate. What a MESS!

Shew! I'm tired!

All that made me thirsty :)

Back