What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poured new concrete floor and fdrrench drain in my basement. Getting closer to bringing my 1600+ bottles back down.
Remnants of Irene.

Tom did they leave a open groove around the whole interier of the new base ment floor? When we do French drains and pump we leave about 1/4 inch openening around the whole inside perimeter of the base ment this is for any surface water will leach back into the french drain also we drill holes at the bottom of the block walls because the blocks retain water too?

I have rubble walls w/ no foundation. House is close to 200 yrs old. Walls were parged and yes left small gap "just in case"

1 week back from the IR (Injured Reserved) and I'm FINALLY back playing hockey :r Man did I miss that.
Vacation is over and it's back to work:( Guess you can't have everything.

In the past week I was able to rack and stabilize my Noble Muscadine, Catawba, Concord and Niagra. Those have been sitting since last racking in November. I need to rack the Bronze muscadine and red muscadine as they have been over 30days and dropped alot of acid. Brianna needs back sweetened just a tad more then bottled. I'll be busy getting ready for chilean juice.

Rubble walls are when stones are just kind of dumped in a pile for a foundation wall and are several feet thick. Usually they are kind of flat stacked stones so they don't roll in. Rubber walls are what line the walls of my room when I get too depressed or anxious (looney bin, nut house, etc).:slp

Tonight after my daughter's dentist apppointment, I racked my Bronze Muscadine, Red Muscadine, and Elderberry. 30 gallons in total. I also back sweetened the Bronze Muscadine. I was shooting for 1.006 as that tasted good in sampling, but it tastes sweeter than the sample. I added less sugar than Wine Calc recommended. We'll see how it turns out. I had to rack the 10 gallons in to a 6 gallon, a 3 gallon and a one gallon. I didn't sample from the 6 gallon which actually is more than 6 it was from the 4. Before bottling those will be combined and mixed to blend between the 2. It was pretty darn good. I also sampled the Red Muscadine at 1.005. Wow, that will be my starting point when I sweeten then I'll go from there. It shoud smooth out with age and not be too sweet. Next sampling will be the Noble Muscadine.

Filtered and bottled my Johanesberg Reisling last evening. I'm liking it and it will only get better.

Todays project is to cut a storage area out under the stair landing so that I can finish the floor in that area. Too much to do and not enough time to do it. What can I say.....

Going to get 20+ cases of bottles and Then clean and De-lable them.

YEA. That will be enough bottles to get me thru this run....

Tom I had that done several years ago and it was the best investment I ever spent on this house, holding a close 2nd was actually having a paved driveway especially when its wet outside as you would track in so much crap in the house. My sump pump also has an alarm on it that has battery backup and sounds if the level goes above where the water level should never reach. My basement was so bad I had springs shooting up through my floor and it almost rotted out my oil tank which I replaced and moved into a spot more out of the way to have more room in my wine room.
Flood.jpg

Getting ready to head over to Jungle Jim's Market in Fairfield, Oh. If you are ever in this area stop in there and see their wine and beer department. It's one of the biggest in the country with wines and beers from all over the world. It's hard to go in there for one specific thing and come out with only that. Today I need Acid Blend but no doubt I will spend at least $75 by the time I check out.
Have a great day everyone! :h

I used to wish we had basements around here (South Texas) but after reading y'alls exploits, sounds like just another hole in the money pit.

Today I'm fining CC Rosso Fortissimo and cleaning a few bottles.

Back