What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you are correct on all accounts. Remember ice wine is harvested and pressed once the temp drops to 18* or lower. The grapes are as hard as marbles. The grapes do not go through a crusher/distemper either. Straight to the press. We run the juice from the press through a few strainers to filter out any stems or other particles that may slip through.

Attended a wedding in Austin this past weekend and took the opportunity to do a little winery hopping in the Texas Hill Country. Both pictures are from Dutchman Winery in Driftwood Texas. Also went to Driftwood Winery.

duchman.jpg

kathy at Dutchman.jpg

Last edited:
Attended a wedding in Austin this past weekend and took the opportunity to do a little winery hopping in the Texas Hill Country. Both pictures are from Dutchman Winery in Driftwood Texas. Also went to Driftwood Winery.

Cool, I haven't been to that one yet.

They sure are building some nice wineries. Now they just need to find a way to grow some decent grapes!

Now they just need to find a way to grow some decent grapes!
I wish that wasn't so true. We had a Syrah at Driftwood winery that was actually quite good. They only have 14 acres with vines so I assume they buy grapes from the Texas High Planes just as most Texas wineries do. They are finding that the Italian varieties, Montepulciano and Sangeivese do best in the Hill Country.

I do try and keep up with what's working and what's not working down there. I know they have pulled up a lot of stuff in the last few years. Last I heard they were trying to replant with a lot of varietals that do well in Spain and the warmer climate areas of Tuscany.

It it were easy everyone would be doing it I suppose.

Dan, what grapes are getting 200 gallons per ton? Generally the natives will give you 160 gallons max. Hybrids usually around 135 gallons. 200 gallons per ton is 10 Lbs. fruit per gallon, which is pretty unrealistic.

Rich with ice wine you get about 35 gallons per ton compared to 200 gallons per ton of regular grapes. These were Vidal grapes and they were harvested several weeks ago during the cold snap we had at 15*. We kept one bin set aside in the chiller for this event and pressed the rest immediately after picking. Yes I do enjoy my job!

I usually figure about 150 gallons per ton, but that varies from variety to variety and year to year. With that megapress, I wouldn't rule it out at 200! The hydraulic on those presses is massive.

Been working on the house again this weekend started with the front door it needed new weather stripping on the bottom of the door and around the side then went to the basement and insulated a twenty foot six inch wall that made a big difference in the basement then went back up to the bedroom and got more insulation put up the ceiling is done now I have two outside walls to do yet then put up the dry wall and do the finishing touches

I will be cleaning 18 case of bottles and bottling 15 gallons today. Oh and ordering more supplies.

Poured new concrete floor and fdrrench drain in my basement. Getting closer to bringing my 1600+ bottles back down.
Remnants of Irene.

TOM YOU OF ALL PEOPLE!!!!!!!
animated_camera.gif

Looks good! Were they able to add any extra drians for a sink?

Could be arranged have hot & cold there when I had washer/dryer down there. I can drain into the sump pump.
Not sure why I need one now

WHEN (if) I get off these meds I will make up for lost time....

Latest posts

Back