What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I finished the last large timber for my timber frame building. I was pretty much done at the end of May then summer happened and I got busy with the garden and vineyard. It took three months to cut the last 6 pieces. I’m planning on raising it in October… finally. I need to squeeze in 25 gallons of wine this fall too🥵. I’ll be doing roofing and siding until the snow flies! 82BE1B5B-2B48-4D2D-A3DE-F4C9DF9B9A7D.jpeg
50 “large” timbers and 20 braces!

Winding down with covid. Don't know where we picked it up but Kathy started with the coughin and hacking. Next day was my turn. Took a test and wasnt just a summer cold. Has not been too bad, cough fever, ache and really tired. Thank God we are fully vacced. Next shots are coming up next month. Anyway just like a bad cold, has run for a few days. Cant imagine how bad it was for the people that had it before we had a way of making it so it isn't as bad. Gotta get better, fishing is winding down and want to get in on the last days before winter sets in. Everybody stay safe and healthy. Mite have to pick the one grape vine we have clean today or tomorrow. Be enough there to make a couple of gal. will have to add a bit of water with it, tho. Arne.

Winding down with covid. Don't know where we picked it up but Kathy started with the coughin and hacking. Next day was my turn. Took a test and wasnt just a summer cold. Has not been too bad, cough fever, ache and really tired. Thank God we are fully vacced. Next shots are coming up next month. Anyway just like a bad cold, has run for a few days. Cant imagine how bad it was for the people that had it before we had a way of making it so it isn't as bad. Gotta get better, fishing is winding down and want to get in on the last days before winter sets in. Everybody stay safe and healthy. Mite have to pick the one grape vine we have clean today or tomorrow. Be enough there to make a couple of gal. will have to add a bit of water with it, tho. Arne.

Good luck, Arne. There wasn't an emoticon that I could hit that simply conveyed encouragement! :)

Hope everybody is better and back to normal soon!

Lori had an urge for Arbys all week so we cruised over there for lunch. Of course out here that's a 75 mile round trip down the Arizona Veteran's Hwy (17) where the speed limit is, I believe, 107mph. We took the pickup because the Jeep doesn't go fast enough to navigate the 17 safely. I parked next to a brand new Corvette Stingray and once we got our food and started people watching kiddingly decided the two old guys in tees and worn shorts eating next to us, both late 70's, were probably driving the vettte. They left at the same time as us and yep, they were in the Vette, never judge an old guy by his cover.

Normal Saturday, men's breakfast at 7 am followed by a run to the local Weis. Just don't buy as much "fun" stuff anymore unless on sale since this inflation thing is pinching the budget. Stopped at my brother's place, he's about a mile away in the same community we live in. His oldest son got the covid earlier in the week from a fellow band mate at last Friday's football game. Well, turns out they all got it, and for some of them it's worse than for the others. My son takes my two nephews to school in the morning, so obviously watching him and my youngest daughter. So far, so good, negative tests for them. I think the version we had at the beginning of June may be related to the one they've currently have.

I have to watch it tomorrow being in church with a bunch of fellow old people, don't want to kill any of them off, guess I'll have to wear a mask to be safe, argh... Can't this all be over, at some point? I think I have covid fatigue.

This morning my son & I replaced the floor in our guest bath with premium vinyl plank. It went surprisingly fast, although cutting the door molding so the plank will fit underneath, and cutting to fit the vent hole and other odd areas is the real time killer.

When we dismounted the toilet, we got to see the previous colors the bathroom was painted. Originally we had the builder paint it white, and we sponge painted grey and pink over it. Then it was tan, and now it's grey. This picture shows behind the toilet tank, which is not visible and has not been fully painted since the house was built.

floor_01.jpg

The original flooring was sheet vinyl, and we replaced it with vinyl tile~15 years ago.

floor_02.jpg

Mrs WM81 is VERY pleased with the new flooring!

floor_03.jpg

Last edited:
As a follow on to yesterday's floor installation, today I installed quarter round molding. Today's effort was solo, as it doesn't require more than 2 hands and my son actually has a personal life. :)

First, as good tip -- when trying to measure an 8' length of a very bendy material use a rubber band to secure the one end of the tape measure:

tip.jpg

Things started out poorly. My first job was to scrape excess paint and caulk from the baseboard molding and the tub. Yesterday we didn't use knee pads and everything was fine.

This morning? The first time I got down on my knees, I realized that I made a horrible mistake yesterday. Very horrible, as my knees were making up new swear words. Fortunately I knew exactly where my knee pads are, and everything got better after that.

Professional finishing folks tend to leave large gaps in the molding, and use caulk to fill in what looks (to me) like huge gaps. I'm not paid by the job, so I may do a bit of careful trimming to ensure joints are good. Some caulk will be needed, but a lot less.

Mrs WM81 is VERY pleased again with the result.

floor.jpg

First run from the greenhouse. Many to come, yet.

Likely all tomato sauce and salsa this year. I think I have over 40 jars of tomatoes left from last year..
IMG_20220904_161550.jpg
Made with garlic and onion from the garden.

IMG_20220904_143313.jpg
IMG_20220904_143458.jpg
Finished JUST in time for happy hour! 😉

IMG_20220904_155904.jpg
I ripped out the studs in the pantry wall for canning. I am working on a cabinet insert with shelves and doors. Currently the canning is in the hall closet in flats, and it is hard to keep tabs on inventory. Should have it done this week. Waiting on hinges to mount the doors.

Back