What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing up the Arancello (orange). Peels have been sitting in Everclear since first week of July.

I made a batch earlier this year that came out great. I think your's is fully done. Our favorite treat with it so far is a scoop of really good vanilla ice cream with a few tablespoons of the cello, tastes just like the old Dreamsicle or 50/50 bar.

I'm a farmer with a very small farm, and I'm also the market manager the Anderson Co. Farmers Market in KY. Fall is quickly approaching, not much left to sell but corn, tomatoes, and melons until the pumpkins come in. Was a rough season, too much cool rain in the spring, followed by a heat wave, had to plant 3 times. I also raise catfish in above ground tanks. Sold all my fish a few days ago to a big fancy local food diner event.

Attachments

• IMG_1835.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 0
  • fishscreenshot.png
    fishscreenshot.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm a farmer with a very small farm, and I'm also the market manager the Anderson Co. Farmers Market in KY. Fall is quickly approaching, not much left to sell but corn, tomatoes, and melons until the pumpkins come in. Was a rough season, too much cool rain in the spring, followed by a heat wave, had to plant 3 times. I also raise catfish in above ground tanks. Sold all my fish a few days ago to a big fancy local food diner event.

@Rigney , Welcome to the forum. I grew up a stones throw from you in Franklin Co. Been gone over forty years now but still call myself a Kentuckian (Go Big Blue). I’ve never been a farmer but have always admired that way of life. Hope you got a good price for your fish and good luck with the market.

Needed to get the lawn done today, been two weeks, rain coming for tonight. I am finding this summer I have a gift. It's finding ground yellow jacket nests with either the lawn mower (2) or the string trimmer (1). In past years I might have been "lucky" enough to find one every four or five years. This year is different for some reason.

Only got it once or twice on this "find", put some Benadryl cream on my ankle and kept pushing the yard. Have a few swaths of grass I don't dare do, they are still pretty stirred up, looks like a big nest population wise. Will have to dispatch of them once evening comes and they hopefully settle down.

Itchy, but no hives. I am somewhat allergic to the venom, used to get covered in hives, but the desensitizing shots I got as a kid must have worked. Still need to get another epi pen for backup since my set is getting old and the liquid is no longer as clear as it should be. Wonder how much that will set me back...

So darn, need to take a shower, keep cooking dinner and put something cold on it to get the swelling to go down. Hum, maybe something dual purpose. I think a cold beer applied for a few minutes, then opened and drunk so I can get another cold one to apply to my ankle. That should do the trick!

Well.. This is as far as I got today. I'm getting thirsty, so its a wrap!

I cut out the drywall and studs months ago. Couldn't make a plan without the hole, because I didn't know what was in the wall. Then I ordered doors and got distracted with other tasks. Finally put my plan into action this week.
IMG_20220904_155904.jpg

It turned out well, considering I made it up as I went.
IMG_20220910_154930.jpg
Lots of room for home canning, now.
IMG_20220910_160432.jpg

I have all the doors in a row pinned, so I just have to install 3 handles, and trim it out.

Probably tomorrow!?

Today I finally started the peach wine for which I froze 30 lbs of peaches last summer. They didn't all fit in a 7.9 gallon fermenter, at least while still frozen into gallon baggy shapes, so I put 2/3 into a nylon bag in the 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket and the rest loose into a 6 gallon fermenting bucket. I have some additional skins in each bucket, too.

I want to make it with no water, so I added some sugar, pectic enzyme, and kmeta to each bucket. Tomorrow after they thaw, I plan to use a potato masher to mush things up and hopefully get enough liquid to get the s.g. and pH. I plan to add tannin, acid, yeast nutrient, and enough sugar to get the starting s.g. in the 1.075-1.080 range.

I am using D47 yeast. I made a starter with half a cup of sugar, a pinch of yeast nutrient, along with a cup of room temp water. It's going like gangbusters so I hope the peaches finish thawing out by tomorrow morning and I can add the yeast!

I feel I will get little judgement for this purchase, here. IMG_20220918_143153.jpg

I am at the 6 month mark for my original kits. I enjoy them, friends and neighbours are impressed. I'm going to get a few more and get serious about getting ahead of the demand.

How do you guys schedule? Bulk buys or replenishing as you consume?

Well, not today. I've had guests, and they demand attention, but I finished up the canning cabinet this week. IMG_20220918_202932.jpg
IMG_20220918_203034.jpg
Lost 2 inches of room space, and gained huge storage.

Just a peak at the hoard. I wouldn't want to divulge too much....
IMG_20220918_202945.jpg
It turned out really good. I didn't really have a plan, I had to make it based on the doors available and space restrictions. Very happy with the results when it all came together.

How do you guys schedule? Bulk buys or replenishing as you consume?
I am on year 2 of making wine. I started with 1 gallon batches from fruits, with a couple of kits thrown in. Now I am making mostly kits with Skeeter Pee and a few fruit wines thrown in. I am mostly ahead of the curve but I try to have at least one batch aging even if I don't have anything in primary. I pretty much go by empty carboys and bottles. That's about as close to a schedule as I get.

Well, not today. I've had guests, and they demand attention, but I finished up the canning cabinet this week. View attachment 93066
View attachment 93067
Lost 2 inches of room space, and gained huge storage.

Just a peak at the hoard. I wouldn't want to divulge too much....
View attachment 93069
It turned out really good. I didn't really have a plan, I had to make it based on the doors available and space restrictions. Very happy with the results when it all came together.
Looks very nice. Well done!

We purchased a new grill last weekend, to replace our 15 yo grill that has held up well, but is rotting out. I was going to hold until the spring, but an end of season sale pushed us.

It only took 1.5 hours to assemble the grill, and thankfully no blood was shed. I normally bark a knuckle or get a cut on something sharp, but this time worked out well!

grill 1.jpg

This is the packaging, which pretty much filled the box! Fortunately most of it is fully recyclable cardboard, including corrugated pieces. There wasn't much Styrofoam, but there was bubble wrap, which we will re-use at some point.

grill 2.jpg

This weekend I’m taking down shade sail and putting away loose light weight objects before the hurricane arrives Tuesday night. then if I have time I’m going to backsweeten the passion fruit batch.

hopefully we don’t lose power or I might have to make some big batches of thawed from frozen fruit wines

This weekend I’m taking down shade sail and putting away loose light weight objects before the hurricane arrives Tuesday night. then if I have time I’m going to backsweeten the passion fruit batch.

hopefully we don’t lose power or I might have to make some big batches of thawed from frozen fruit wines
Oh my goodness good luck!

Back