What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traditional deer fencing is 7 feet. They can jump pretty high!
My neighbor has a 2 or 3 ft single strand electric fence with ribbon hanging off it. They never get into his garden and that's an easy jump. I'm going to have over 7 feet on the tree sides and just the front area will be 6.

Last year was the first year in 10 they have been in it, and they just got to walk right in. I'm thinking they are just opportunists.

I'm optimistic. :D

For now....

I have too. Although for rabbits I typically use a “lead based” repellent 😉
I send the dog after them.

Is that a deer? He gets worked right up and chases them out of the yard area. It keeps them on edge and they don't loiter.

It's the night shift that concerns me.

Last edited:
I don’t see turkeys wanting to fly into a relatively small enclosure. If they do make sure they know there is a price to pay! At least they only feed during the day. As for raccoons, two electric wires low on the outside of the fence will dissuade them from climbing it ⚡⚡⚡
No raccoons in Alberta. Well, not my area, anyway.

Lots of grouse, but I've never seen a turkey. Lots of cougars in the area, might be why I've never seen a rabbit, either.

My neighbor caught 5 cougars on his trail cam, all walking together. They are not pack/pride animals (there's no name for a group of cougars, cause they don't hang out). Kinda weird, but we know they are around.

Good thing you don’t have rabbits or raccoons, and I hope your deer are tall… they’re going to walk right under that fence.
Ha, I stepped it down and thought it looked terrible. I could use 1x6 to fill it in, but I think I'll just wait until the garden is out and drop a few buckets of fill in the back corner.

Welllll...

Almost finished. Had some short days hiding from the heat. I just have to cut the posts to height, and decide what is going in the space between the gate and header.

I am thinking either some metal work hanging from the top. Or something decorative built on or built for (metal work?) the top of the gates to bring them to the top rail height.IMG_20220730_174043.jpgIMG_20220730_174102.jpg

Today was pressing grapes. Yesterday was picking 150 lbs of La Crescent grapes. They had significant bird damage issues near the woods, but much less so further away. Thankfully it was very cool yesterday. Here's a picture of the winery dog supervisor. Yield was much higher than we expected, given how tiny the grapes were, 11 gallons.
PXL_20220731_171408198.jpg

I would be able to finish faster if I didn't distract so easily. This was not part of this weeks plan.

I didn't want to build onto the trailer because it was temporary. The gazebo was an easy add on to the deck for shelter, and when we moved the house in we needed to pull the deck off the trailer before we were able to move into the house. We set up half of the deck and the gazebo out of the way in the yard as a temporary sanity area. It was not part of any plan other than having a place to relax at the end of the day. Today I finished the gutter drain and covered it after moving the deck over to a more thought out location. Filled in the area to level it out and plan to put a fire pit on the far side.

It may have been the laziest way to do it, and it looks like a way better idea than it was. It was pretty sketchy, but it worked with a little jockeying and position changing.

Got done just in time for the rain to hit me as I was finishing up smoothing things out on the tractor. It will need some fill on the fire pit side and a little finessing before grass seed, but all in all a good effort.

IMG_20220731_115847.jpg
IMG_20220731_164225.jpg

Last edited:
I would be able to finish faster if I didn't distract so easily. This was not part of this weeks plan.

I didn't want to build onto the trailer because it was temporary. The gazebo was an easy add on to the deck for shelter, and when we moved the house in we needed to pull the deck off the trailer before we were able to move into the house. We set up half of the deck and the gazebo out of the way in the yard as a temporary sanity area. It was not part of any plan other than having a place to relax at the end of the day. Today I finished the gutter drain and covered it after moving the deck over to a more thought out location. Filled in the area to level it out and plan to put a fire pit on the far side.

It may have been the laziest way to do it, and it looks like a way better idea than it was. It was pretty sketchy, but it worked with a little jockeying and position changing.

Got done just in time for the rain to hit me as I was finishing up smoothing things out on the tractor. It will need some fill on the fire pit side and a little finessing before grass seed, but all in all a good effort.

View attachment 91197
View attachment 91199
You make me tired!!! :sl

View attachment 91197
View attachment 91199
Very nice. With that location, it's also going to be a very nice deer stand this fall. One small sand bag on the table to steady the gun and you have yourself some venison sausage.

We visited family in NY, including a winery tour. This first one is Nick's Lake, outside Old Forge NY. The weather was cloudy in the morning, but cleared by noon. It was a nice break from the 100 F + 300% humidity we've been experiencing in Raleigh.

nicks lake.jpg

Wednesday was a winery tour, in which we stopped at 6 wineries (Keuka Lake Wine Trail + McGregor) on Keuka Lake in the NY Finger Lakes. The lake is small enough we drove completely around it. This is the view from McGregor Winery on the east side, where the lake branches (it's Y shaped):

mcgregor.jpg

The third winery we stopped at was Weis, which has very nice wines. Their "barrel room" gives me ideas that will never come to fruition:

weis barrels.jpg

The last winery was Hunt Country (north-west side of lake), which also has a nice view:

hunt country.jpg

We visited family in NY, including a winery tour. This first one is Nick's Lake, outside Old Forge NY. The weather was cloudy in the morning, but cleared by noon. It was a nice break from the 100 F + 300% humidity we've been experiencing in Raleigh.

View attachment 91301

Wednesday was a winery tour, in which we stopped at 6 wineries (Keuka Lake Wine Trail + McGregor) on Keuka Lake in the NY Finger Lakes. The lake is small enough we drove completely around it. This is the view from McGregor Winery on the east side, where the lake branches (it's Y shaped):

View attachment 91300

The third winery we stopped at was Weis, which has very nice wines. Their "barrel room" gives me ideas that will never come to fruition:

View attachment 91302

The last winery was Hunt Country (north-west side of lake), which also has a nice view:

View attachment 91299
Looks great. I figured you had to be on holidays. I haven't heard 'patience' for a couple weeks.

Much longer and I woulda started to get concerned. 😉

Took a half day (left work at 9:45 a.m., I get in pretty early) to do the lawn. Had picked up a new food processing toy on Saturday, a manual food mill. Had watched a few videos from Pasquale on YouTube:

()

about making "the sauce". He had an electric saucer, but I'm cheap so got a French food mill (it's French, must be good). I liked his process since I normally would put tomatoes in boiling water, then dump in a cold water sink to remove the skins, then manually hand juice the maters to remove as many seeds as I could through a strainer. Took a while, especially for a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes which is my normal batch size.

My main aim was to get the lawn done before the high humidity (70*F+ dew points) and higher temps started tomorrow through early next week. But heard from my brother last night that a local Mennonite farm market near us had the 1/2 bushels of Roma and regular tomatoes available (had stopped last Saturday and they said probably this Friday). So picked up a box thinking I could let them rest until this weekend. Lo and behold, got stung by some type of critter when working on the lawn. I'm somewhat allergic to bee stings (have a double epi pen in the closet), so came in and started the tomato process while I waited to see if I broke out in hives or started having respiratory issues (which I haven't, but nice and cool in here, lol).

This process so far is so easy that instead of doing 1/2 of the 1/2 bushel (a 1/4 bushel I think), I am now just doing the whole thing. Did it in two batches, but it is way easier than I remember from the last few years. This food mill is the "bomb". Easy to use, easy to clean, no seeds other than a few crushed or partial ones. Now the fun of waiting for it to cook down for a few hours then can (or might cool and freeze in 1 gallon freezer bags).

8-3-22_tomato-1.jpg

8-3-22_tomato-2.jpg

8-3-22_tomato-3.jpg

8-3-22_tomato-4.jpg

This is all a test run for when my 5 plants worth of San Marzano tomatoes all get ripe (they are starting, put them in really late, cold spring this year).

Latest posts

Back