What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're way too organized for me LOL!. I built diamonds and originally was going to make them 12" x 12" to nicely fit 16 Bordeaux bottles but decided instead to go with 13.5" x 13.5" for no particular reason at the time. Thankfully I did because I'm now using Burgundy bottles as well and the larger size fits 16 bottles with little waisted space.

Some burgs stack well in diamonds, others have a slight taper and will fall out if I stack too many, another one of the reasons for the conversion!

You're way too organized for me LOL!. I built diamonds and originally was going to make them 12" x 12" to nicely fit 16 Bordeaux bottles but decided instead to go with 13.5" x 13.5" for no particular reason at the time. Thankfully I did because I'm now using Burgundy bottles as well and the larger size fits 16 bottles with little waisted space.

Yeah, that worked out well for you! I made my harlequin diamonds to fit 16 Bordeaux, with the knowledge that they wouldn't fit 16 Burgundies. Instead, they only fit 12. The decision was made based on a guess of what ratio of Bordeaux to Burgundies I would have. But then I made 15 gallons of Syrah, and 12 of Pinot Gris! Sigh...

Some burgs stack well in diamonds, others have a slight taper and will fall out if I stack too many, another one of the reasons for the conversion!

Yes, I am unhappy with this aspect of Burgundies in my diamonds. They are okay in there, but barely. I live in fear that a whole diamond's worth of bottles will come crashing out!

Yes, I am unhappy with this aspect of Burgundies in my diamonds. They are okay in there, but barely. I live in fear that a whole diamond's worth of bottles will come crashing out!

I know EXACTLY how you feel, just waiting to hear the crash!! When I had to keep the burgs in diamonds, a little wooden wedge went under the first bottle to pitch it to the back, and subsequently, that pitched all of the bottles above it. Pitched slightly to the back of the diamond where there’s a wall helped me sleep better.

Do you guys always put your Syrahs in burgundy bottles?

For reds I really only anticipated using burgundy for Pinot noir, petite sirah and I guess a couple others I can’t think of. But Syrah I see in both. And really didn’t occur to me.

Is Syrah traditionally bottled in burgundy style bottles?

For reds I really only anticipated using burgundy for Pinot noir, petite sirah and I guess a couple others I can’t think of. But Syrah I see in both. And really didn’t occur to me.

Yes, for the most part. Its most famous range is the Rhone valley. That is not Burgundy, but they use similar bottles.

And, no, I am not a purist. I am strongly considering putting my Syrah in Bordeaux bottles. Better storage, and I have a ton of them. I think I will stick with Burgundy for the Pinot Gris, though.

I don’t even put Petite sirah in burgs, it’s in good old bx bottles.

I've always used Bordeaux for Syrah AND Petite Sirah. I use Burgundy for Pinot Noir and Viognier so far. Actually used some for a Chardonnay/Viognier blend too, but not the whole batch. Most of that went into clear Boardeauxs.

C66DB8DF-A17E-48DA-97DF-E67CFF179FF8.jpeg Finished two cases of the Riesling today. Not crazy about those caps-
Different supplier and they didn’t work as well. I have way more green bottles than anything else. May need to buy some clear ones for the next batch of white wine.
Joe

I put my PS, Pinot and Amarone in Burgundy bottles. All other reds go in Bordeaux bottles. But, I wouldn't say I'm a purist.

I'm far from a purist but I did recently buy some Burgundy bottles for a Pinot Noir I'm making this spring and already bottled some Sav Blanc in them.

Sauv Blanc can definitely go in either shape. SV is produced in Bordeaux (using Bdx bottles, natch), and also in the Loire valley, using a shape close to Bgdy.

Last edited:
Back