What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just take a second look at them tomorrow before filing. ;)
I'm using Turbo Tax, so there shouldn't be any mathematical errors, only "concept" errors. Nothing has really changed other than my oldest is out of the house, but he was a resident for 3/4 of the year, so I'm good with him. Will probably have some issues IF I do his taxes next year since his address changes about every time the wind shifts direction.

Edit: got the Fed's done in 1 1/2 hours, guess I was whining for nothing (other than to hear myself whine). My face is nice and flushed from the amount of beer I drank, so at least something positive came out of the afternoon.

Last edited:
548812CD-64B4-4148-A0CB-3F6C531650A0.jpeg 11D5F278-0461-4A7C-8005-3AE0568C9721.jpeg Taking it easy today, yesterday was my big day, and a good test for the knee. Hit the Depot at 6:30 for soil amendments and a tiller, spread the soil conditioner and fertilizer, tilled the garden, brought back the tiller, picked up pine straw, hoed the rows, and mulched the garden in with pine straw. Took wife and daughters to lunch and picked up veggies from the feed store after lunch. . Planted and watered the garden when we got home. Edged, weedeated, mowed, and blew off all the concrete. After dinner, we capped off the nite with some artisan cheeses and two bottles of 2013 Ehlers 1886 while watching Scarface. Slept like a baby........

Had a good wine session this morning, racked the 2016 Lanza Petite Sirah and Merlot out of two Vadais. Cleaned both barrels, loaded them with wine stix and sulfite, racked the 2017 free run Cab into one, 2017 press run Cab into the other. Tasted, adjusted, bottled and corked the Lanza PS and Merlot, and got all of the labels made. Tomorrow they’ll get capsules, labeled, and put to bed in the cellar. Now I’m out of bottles.

Next up, 2016 Cab 169 comes out of the 12 gallon Vadai, and the 2016 Montsant Tempranillo carboys go in for an 8 month sit. At that point, I’ll only have one 6 gallon carboy waiting for a barrel, the 2017 Cab, PS, Merlot press wine. Soooo, have 4 6’s and one 12 with wine to be bottled in the next 4-8 months. As all of the wines in Vadais are bottled, I’ll start retiring all of my neutral barrels and finally be down to one big batch per year. 2017 blend in the 30 gallon French will probably ride til next spring.

Ay-yi-yi. Good luck!

Once I was waiting in an ER where you had to write your ailment on the check-in sheet . I wrote "Cut finger." After a few hours, my companion said "I am going to go up and add the word 'off' to your entry."

Hope it is not too serious and you heal well.

Sitting in the ER waiting room for too damn long. Took a bungee cord to the head. Got me good. But gettin tired of waiting. And the stains on my trucks tan interior are soaking in deeper as I wait.
As soon as I come up with a good one, I find that some one has done something (or had something happen) to make me feel better (about my situation). AJ, hope you feel better. Just to let you know, I now feel a little better about my unfortunate situation, as it could always have been worse (I hate hospitals in general).

Finally sat down here to log into the forum, had a nice cubano sandwich in front of me, heard a "drip, drip, drip". Looked over at the 55 gallon fish tank and noticed the water level was down a few inches...humm, just topped that up the other day with some RO water. Walked over and realized it had sprung a leak. Quickly put a bucket under where it was dribbling off the fish tank stand and proceeded to catch the 5 neon tetras in the tank. Texted my brother, added the bag to my lunch cooler and headed for his place. Fortunately he has a few tanks set up and is a mile away. Rushed back and started draining the tank. Found the leak on the right side just above the level it is at in the picture.

Really didn't want to run up and down the stairs after rearranging some FRRS inventory at work most of the morning (I was tired before I found the leak). Could have been worse and happened when we were away. The heater without water would have probably started a fire. I think my tropical fish tank days may have just ended. One less thing to worry about, will have more RO water for important things like beer making.

4-3-18_fish-tank-leak.jpg

Last edited:
We did a big batch of navy bean soup, comfort food at it's best on a chilly day.

Could have used some of that tonight. Baseball practice from 7-9pm. Howling winds and mid 40's. Man, it got cold when that sun went down!

Played hooky for the afternoon and went to the Nats home opener. Beautiful afternoon, but a bit of an ugly game. Regardless, had a good time with a few of my oldest friends.

@mainshipfred : time completely got away from me today. Had hoped to catch up with you and several others that I knew were there. Didn't see anyone. If Saturday's forecast holds, I'll be at your tasting. Otherwise, I'll be on the baseball field.

Back