What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it is not too serious and you heal well.
You and me both. I left the hospital before being called back. Likely could have used stitches- but couldn’t sit there any longer. Cleaned and covered as well as I could considering I wasn’t shaving my head. Still ended up leaking thru onto her brand new linens overnight. I gotta give her credit tho- she is the master of stain removal.

AJ,

Now you are a guy that loves his truck!!! You are sitting, bleeding in the hospital and all you worry about is the blood stains in your truck,, Cudos!

I always think about Pete Conrad at times like these.

He was a navy pilot, flying countless combat missions that all ended with having to land on a heaving, rolling carrier deck.

He was a test pilot, making his living by pushing untested aircraft to their design limits.

He was an Apollo astronaut, the commander of Apollo 12. His rocket got struck by lightning only 2 minutes into launch. He recovered from that, saving the mission that went on to be the most perfect of all moon landings.

This man survived countless dangers in his life. He actually said "by rights, I should have spun in 8 years ago" during one of his pre-launch interviews.

So, how did he die? He died while waiting for over an hour in a hospital after a minor motorcycle accident.

SO..

Our medical care system did what the communists, the vacuum of space, the forces of nature, or boldly venturing into the unknown could not do.

Makes you think.

Watching texts roll by from my Wife while I'm at work. She got a superficial skin cut from a guide wire that was soiled with the patients blood. She got sent down to the emergency room for blood tests. HIV in the patient was negative, which is good. Now she has to wait until next week for the Hepatitis B results to come back. Aye yai yai, nothing lately in my life is without some sort of drama. I need a beer or a glass of wine, sooner than later.

Very Nice anecdote there.
In my case I was more concerned with shot I took then with the cut. A bungee at full blast is no joke. Knocked me down. By the time I got my bearings and looked in the mirror I was leaking down my face/chest to my waistline already. But head wounds can be deceiving.
After waiting forever I was getting more frustrated by the second. And my scar will be behind my hair. My truck’s was not as hidden tho! They shouldn’t have given me so much time think and justify leaving! It was at the end of a long rough day and I just wanted to be home.

For Real AJ!!

Those bungees equate to a large mass of potential energy punctuated by hooks. Whenever I use them, I am always afraid what those hooks would do to my eye!!!

Played hooky for the afternoon and went to the Nats home opener. Beautiful afternoon, but a bit of an ugly game. Regardless, had a good time with a few of my oldest friends.

@mainshipfred : time completely got away from me today. Had hoped to catch up with you and several others that I knew were there. Didn't see anyone. If Saturday's forecast holds, I'll be at your tasting. Otherwise, I'll be on the baseball field.

It was an ugly game. we left in the 7th inning to go to the Fairgrounds for happy hour drinks. 3rd to 7th inning is happy hour. Didn't even try to find anyone either. To many people. No telling what tomorrow will bring. The forecast is changing hourly but hope you can make it.

For Real AJ!!

Those bungees equate to a large mass of potential energy punctuated by hooks. Whenever I use them, I am always afraid what those hooks would do to my eye!!!
That was my 1st thought actually. On the ground in the rain by myself and quite dazed, I opened each eye and thought- thank god. That could have been bad!
Now she has to wait until next week for the Hepatitis B results to come back. Aye yai yai, nothing lately in my life is without some sort of drama. I need a beer or a glass of wine, sooner than later.
Craig this just happened to my older brother a couple years ago. He lives up in Bethlehem in a decent neighborhood. Walking down the street his son Luca picked up a needle. My brother Tony reacted so quickly that he poked himself when grabbing it from his son.
Test came up positive for hepatitis C. I forget the particulars, but it was a stressful few weeks. In the end they were able to act fast and somehow get him to a clean bill of health which we didn’t know was possible.

You and me both. I left the hospital before being called back. Likely could have used stitches- but couldn’t sit there any longer. Cleaned and covered as well as I could considering I wasn’t shaving my head. Still ended up leaking thru onto her brand new linens overnight. I gotta give her credit tho- she is the master of stain removal.

I hit "like," but only for the solidarity. Obviously not happy with your ordeal! Hope you mend.

My most surreal waiting-in-the-ER story was not the one I mentioned above. Rather, late on a Friday night at work, I had gouged a significant, but not threatening, furrow from the pad of my thumb. Of course, being Friday night, there were a lot of yahoos in the ER with more serious problems than mine. Fortunately, I was asked to wait in a treatment room, rather than in the waiting area. They gave me a basin of cleaning solution to soak my thumb in while I waited. Every once in a while, a nurse came by to say "It will still be quite a bit longer before the doctor can see you." She also encouraged my to clean out the cut myself (as it had a lot of debris in it), and gave me a little plastic brush and pick. I picked away at it, cleaning it out, eventually peeling back the epidermis from the dermis to get all the debris out that was lodged between those two layers.

Eventually, like you, I was ready to give it up and go home. The next time the nurse came in to say "It will still be quite a bit longer before the doctor can see you," I asked about bailing. She said "Sure," and brought me the release papers, indicating that they were no longer responsible for anything, yadda yadda yadda. I had injured my dominant hand, but I managed to sign the papers. Then as I was preparing to leave, I said "Oh, can you give me a bandaid or something?" She said "Sure, but now that you signed that paperwork, I cannot put it on you."

So, in a bit of a surreal scene, a woman with extensive medical training and two good hands watched a doofus struggle to open a tricky bandage package with his teeth and left hand, and messily and unprofessionally apply it (very poorly, I might add). Sheesh, great system!

So, in a bit of a surreal scene, a woman with extensive medical training and two good hands watched a doofus struggle to open a tricky bandage package with his teeth and left hand, and messily and unprofessionally apply it (very poorly, I might add). Sheesh, great system!
Lol. I’m familiar with this system you speak of. Once was forced to take an ambulance ride just to get a bus back to my truck. But they’re not all bad. We do a lot of work at a psych hospital in a bad part of town. The worst part of town really. The ghetto’s ghetto. The badlands. Gunshots/stabbings/OD’s on a daily basis. Gives ya some perspective.
Was there installing chair rail in the hallways and I cut my palm with a fresh blade. Clean slice, very deep. Luckily I was already at the hospital and knew the ER nurse’s husband. She sewed and wrapped me up on the side- no paperwork. Back to work in 45 min. Gotta find ways around the system.
IMG_1258.jpg

That was my 1st thought actually. On the ground in the rain by myself and quite dazed, I opened each eye and thought- thank god. That could have been bad!

Craig this just happened to my older brother a couple years ago. He lives up in Bethlehem in a decent neighborhood. Walking down the street his son Luca picked up a needle. My brother Tony reacted so quickly that he poked himself when grabbing it from his son.
Test came up positive for hepatitis C. I forget the particulars, but it was a stressful few weeks. In the end they were able to act fast and somehow get him to a clean bill of health which we didn’t know was possible.
She showed me where it happened, cut through a protective cover and her glove. Might have been a 1/16" cut, not deep, but they take that stuff seriously. Nice to know that they can head hep C off at the pass, I think that one is nasty from what I remember from health class. The patient being HIV negative gave me the biggest relief.

Glad to hear you are feeling better today!

Been chopping down trees like a madman to make room for my blackberries, wild black raspberries and hopefully some grape vines. Then my new toy came, a wood chipper. Assembled the beast and fired it up....................man what a loud BEAST!! Free mulch as much as i want now....lol

It was an ugly game. we left in the 7th inning to go to the Fairgrounds for happy hour drinks. 3rd to 7th inning is happy hour. Didn't even try to find anyone either. To many people. No telling what tomorrow will bring. The forecast is changing hourly but hope you can make it.

My one friend is a huge Mets fan and he was having a good time. I guess that's fair - my family and his went last summer when the Mets were in town and we destroyed them for that game. The Mets hit a homer in the 1st that day and he started talking trash. It was all downhill for them from there and my oldest was relentless on him for the rest of the day. :D

I'll send you a text tomorrow, once I know more. I think they'll make the call on the fields by 9am.

Did a men's breakfast this morning, then my Saturday visit to the Giant, a 12 pack of beer for my wife as it is National Beer Day (she texted me as a reminder, like I need a reminder to drink beer). Just racked a Peach/Raspberry Sangria kit. Came down to look for a good marinate for pork chops for dinner tonight (have to cut up a pork loin in a bit). Also have some pots of soil soaking up some moisture so I can start up some seeds for the garden. Today is mostly tomatoes and I'm about two full weeks behind, so gotta get those done. Then I have to show my daughter how to do her taxes (her first year). Then I might start a blackberry concentrate kit (with added puree and various juices).

Drinking a beer to see if it will cool down my throat a bit. Seems that I've caught @Boatboy24 's cold all the way up here. At least we missed the snow this time, hate getting the kettle grill all wet if I don't have to.

Just had a real nice time with @Boatboy24 and a guy from my wine class doing some tastings of my wines. Started at 1:00 and before you knew it it was getting close to 4:00. First time I had the opportunity to spend that much time with fellow winemakers. I can only imagine how much fun the Meet Up at Split Rocks is going to be.

Started a Chilean Reisling juice pail today and pitched the yeast. Did some financial accounts online now we are enjoying pizza with a quadberry DB variety. Life is good.

Last night my wife and I went to our first American Wine Society meeting. The topic was Sherry Wines. I never knew anything about them and never had it before and it's absolutely not my favorite. I couldn't get over the smell. It seems a Sherry quality is a wines fault. It is intentionally oxidized and barrels are never topped up. A good thing is now I know what Sherry smells like so I can detect the fault in my wines (bite my tongue) should they ever occur. The Solera System talk was very interesting as shown in the link below.

https://www.sherrynotes.com/2013/background/sherry-solera-system/

Latest posts

Back