What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing one of my least favorite chores in this hobby: I am cleaning the labels from old bottles in preparation for bottling a batch later next week. :m

However, we are having a few friends over this evening for dinner. The menu includes quasi-Jamaican jerk pork shoulder, Caribbean style collard greens, sweet potatoes, garlic soup, and red beans and rice. I think only two of the 7 people there will be drinking the same beverage. (Doggone teetotalers, beer drinkers, and white wine drinkers! ;) )

Actually, having written that, I am not sure what I will want for myself. I was planning on a big red (Zin? Syrah?) to pair with (quasi)-BBQ, but the dish will actually be a bit spicy and porky. I wonder if an acidic white may pair better... Thoughts? Normally, I'd reach for a Gewuertztraminer or Riesling to meet those criteria, but I have none in stock and no plans to get any! Hmmm..... :?

If you have a lighter red, you could go with that, otherwise do you still have some of that Viognier or maybe a Pinot Grigio? I think something fruity on the white side might pair well with what you are serving.

We started the 2016 garden today. Planted lettuce, spinach, onions, radishes, carrots and some herbs too. North Texas got into the mid 70s. We hit 76 and the spring bug hit us. A big difference from all of the snow pictures we have been seeing on here.

tilling.jpg

2016 lettuce garden.jpg

Actually, having written that, I am not sure what I will want for myself. I was planning on a big red (Zin? Syrah?) to pair with (quasi)-BBQ, but the dish will actually be a bit spicy and porky. I wonder if an acidic white may pair better... Thoughts? Normally, I'd reach for a Gewuertztraminer or Riesling to meet those criteria, but I have none in stock and no plans to get any! Hmmm..... :?

Too late now, but I'd have leaned toward a Viognier or Rose. What did you end up going with?

We started the 2016 garden today. Planted lettuce, spinach, onions, radishes, carrots and some herbs too. North Texas got into the mid 70s. We hit 76 and the spring bug hit us. A big difference from all of the snow pictures we have been seeing on here.

Oh this almost hurts looking at this!!!!! We are no where close to thinking of any type of planting.

No wining today. Mac hard drive went down. I had to make an external one and transfer everything. Computer days suck!! On the lighter side (after computer back up) skyped with granddaughter and enjoyed a few glasses of sangiovese with hubby

Woo hoo!

Snow day today! Closing @ 10:30 MST

s5lo47.jpg

Dang it! I was setting up to do the task of clearing and degassing my CC Red Mtn. Cab, when disaster struck. Okay, not exactly disaster, but a small annoyance.

I had an old wine-kit box containing 7 bottles of the Super Tuscan that I bottled last night. I picked it up to move it and the bottom of the box fell out. 3 of the 7 bottles shattered on the concrete floor. :( Good thing there is a floor drain! Bummer, dude!

Dang it! I was setting up to do the task of clearing and degassing my CC Red Mtn. Cab, when disaster struck. Okay, not exactly disaster, but a small annoyance.

I had an old wine-kit box containing 7 bottles of the Super Tuscan that I bottled last night. I picked it up to move it and the bottom of the box fell out. 3 of the 7 bottles shattered on the concrete floor. :( Good thing there is a floor drain! Bummer, dude!

That sucks! But at least you didn't lose all 7.

Lesson learned: lift from the bottom.

Will be hopefully racking our 15 gallons of strawberry fruit wine into our beer keg tonight if fermentation hits the numbers. This will be our first time using a 15.5 gallon stainless beer keg as a "car boy" basically. Couple other members here use them with great success.

Today I bought an auto siphon- I used my mouth to start-this is way better-worth every penny. Also bought an extra carboy and some k meta.
I racked a chardonnay kit after work, degassed and added fining agents.
I can't stop thinking about what I want to make next! I love this wine making and this site!!
Thinking of a batch of skeeter pee/dragon blood.
Now just relaxing on the couch with a glass of shiraz:)

Today, I am sitting at the Gamboa Resort in the rainforest of Panama. Tomorrow, we do a partial transit of the canal. Wine options are limited but the beer is good!

Started my first wine in over a year dragons blood triple berry of course. Will be starting some mead soon as well. Pics to come.

Racked 6 gallons of Malbec and 6 gallons of a Carmenere/Malbec blend. Both have just the right amount of oak. Very happy how these wines are progressing.

Made a batch of Raspberry wine using a 128 oz bottle of Vintners Best concentrate plus a 1L pkg of red grape concentrate and a few lbs of frozen red raspberries for the nose.

Also cleaned two cases of bottles and am about the bottle three gallons of Sauvingon Blanc (what was left over from my Champagne in a keg experiment).

After that will mix up a batch of @Boatboy24 's famous tandoori chicken marinate and get things going for dinner tomorrow night. Heading to my brother's place for an impromptu SB party. Tandoori chicken, fried chicken wings and lot's of beer and wine. Luckily if things go too well I can walk home (only about 1 mi.).

Latest posts

Back