What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will be making rabbit and sausage gumbo. Got some crawfish pies in the oven. Good Day!!

That sounds better than the pork loin/mashed tater/sauerkraut/dry roasted carrot/salad dinner we just made. Nothing like a good gumbo, only had a traditional one a few times. Need to find some more cajun friends.

Sipping on some dry stout I just kegged as I degass the Forza kit yet again.

That sounds better than the pork loin/mashed tater/sauerkraut/dry roasted carrot/salad dinner we just made. Nothing like a good gumbo, only had a traditional one a few times. Need to find some more cajun friends.

Sipping on some dry stout I just kegged as I degass the Forza kit yet again.

Gumbo's a staple around here. My wife is Cajun, and boy can she cook!!! We have some hunting property and have lots of fresh game to choose from, not to mention fresh seafood. Guess every locale has its ups and downs.

My Forza's sitting in glass, waiting for me to finish breaking in my first barrel, it's gonna take the maiden voyage.

I'm sampling some of the dregs left over from racking and this Forza is really shaping up to be good. From what I'm tasting it has plenty of body to spare and should be able to stand up to the oak it receives from your virgin barrel.

I even bought some Noma corks so I could age the Forza longer (I think the "1st quality" LD Carlson corks I normally use are only good for 30 months or so).

Hmmm, fresh game and seafood, sounds like a chef's paradise!

I've also switched over to the noma corks, they're purported to breathe very similarly to real cork, without the risk of corked wine. Hard to figure, you hear so much banter about the corking options.

Forza's gonna get a pretty short ride in the barrel, it's got a little oak from the wine stix, I'll probably run a bunch of wines through it pretty quickly for the same reason.

A chef's paradise it is, great place to live in Fall, Wnter and Spring. Summer sucks, I hate the heat and humidity, but it's home and I have great air conditioning.

Preparing for snowmageddon. Went out to dinner with the family tonight, since after I leave work tomorrow, I probably won't be venturing beyond the front yard for a couple days. I have milk, bread and toilet paper. And most importantly, enough wine to last me a year or two. Lots of food in the fridge, freezer and pantry. I'm going to cook a lot and try some new bread recipes. Bring it on! :snw

Bottled 30 gallons of Diamond, 30 Raspberry Shiraz, and 10 and a half cases of Riesling. We are almost ready for the Women and Wine show in Pittsburgh on Sunday. Here's hoping we sell out.....

Hey, me too!!

This sucks. Hope I'm allowed to use that word. This can end any time now, 21" and I have no where to put it.

Taking a break and avoiding the case of Labatt's Blue I got last night, though I am really thirsty.

Edit: What am I doing today, I'm fighting a losing battle with mother nature. At this point, what's the use, I just need to have the bottom of the driveway cleared by the time my wife and son hopefully drive home tomorrow afternoon.

1-23-16_snow-3.jpg

Last edited:
Bottling 10 gallons of Dragon blood tonight. Our first batch of this so curious to see how it turned out. Excited for a very quick to bottle, cheap, easy to drink wine for when we are just working on wine and don't want to pop a good bottle. Will also make it easier to let our better wines ago longer without the pressure to want to open and drink them.

Just finished stirring up a batch of Island Mist Raspberry Peach Sangria. Added 1 L of white grape concentrate and 1 lb of corn sugar as well as 1/3 (I think - 500 ml) of the f-pack. Should be right around 10% ABV if it goes partially dry (below 1.000).

The juice really smelled pretty good. F-pack had a little "fake" peach flavor to it, but really intense. Hoping it will be a nice refreshing summertime drink.

Well after our first taste of the Dragon blood we liked it. Pretty much exactly how others described it. It was a tad too lemony for us. You could taste it at the end. We will definitely make some more soon and cut back on the lemon some. Makes for a perfect easy drinker.

Well after our first taste of the Dragon blood we liked it. Pretty much exactly how others described it. It was a tad too lemony for us. You could taste it at the end. We will definitely make some more soon and cut back on the lemon some. Makes for a perfect easy drinker.

That lemon-ness should fall back some over time.

And I find that drinking it a little on the warmer side of things help with the after taste. I had the same issue with all my db variants as well. I either leave it room temp or slightly chilled. Fridge temp brings out the harshness for me

Thanks for the tips guys. Middle of winter here so cellar is getting down to 50 degrees. Will try it cold and warmer and see how it tastes.

Thanks for the tips guys. Middle of winter here so cellar is getting down to 50 degrees. Will try it cold and warmer and see how it tastes.

If I put a bottle in the fridge to keep it for a few days(multiple open bottles) I just pour a glass ahead of time to get warmed up and that's sometimes enough

I am making a shopping list to make my first batch of Dragon Blood wine - using DangerDave's recipe. Not sure why I haven't tried making it yet but I have a free carboy :)

Back