What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I and lots of us are using electric aspirator pumps bought on Ebay for usually under $100 shipped. With these pumps you can degas your wine easily and know when its done due to it having a gauge on it. You can also simply rack your win e up, down or horizontally without ever having to lift a full carboy again. You can also filter your wine with the purchase of a whole house filter at any home improvement store for about $25 and lat but not least you can bottle your wine very easily with the purchase of a Buon Vino Automatic Auto Bottle Gravity Filler. I can bottle a 6 gallon batch of wine in approx 12 minutes including corking with a floor corker with this set up. Heres a pic of a wine gettig racked over from 1 carboy to another using my pump.

2.jpg

As far as I'm aware there is no limit here in UK, you just can't sell it or give it away:h, and there are restrictions on how far your family extends, spouse's and offspring are ok as are brothers, sisters, mum and dad, but Aunty Min can't have any!! and granny got no chance, (not that she needs any, heck that dear lady taught me all I know!):hug:hug:hug

Today was a work from he11. I no sooner got to work and I had to handle a handful of financial software issues and I am not the computer tech, this became and all day affair and I have two other reports that I am crunching to get done and running out of time and on Monday mornings we have a central office admin meeting that our superintendent was 20 minutes late getting to because he was busy reading the microwave manual on the new microwave that I bought last week. Totally crap day, I get home a little after 3 and sitting there drinking a glass of blackberry wine complaining to Mike and my cell rings. By the time I find where I put the cell phone it quits but I look and it was Runningwolf!!!!! So I call him back he says he is in Butler, he went to 3B's and we chat for a little while then decide to meet up for dinner. What a great way to finish the day. Dan, Mike and I really enjoyed our short time together but get what happens next:

While we were sitting around chatting after dinner, my cell rings and it is the superintendent, he tells me that I have to show up at the board meeting that was going on because of a legal action on the roof at the Primary school. So I say I have to leave, so we leave and while I am driving out of Saxonburg I notice a sax police behind me, I look at the speedometer and I am going 33 in a 25 zone so I hit the brakes and things seem to be ok, I go about a 100 yards and his light comes on, pulls he over and I am thinkg "crap, 1 1/2 glasses of wine at the Fireldhouse but that was about 3 hours, oh I am in so much trouble." The police office asks if I know why he was pulling me over and I say "No." He tells me that I rolled through the stop sign at Friedmans, and did not use my turn signal when I turned from State to Main Street. He didn't even give me a warning. I drop Mike off, grab my file I need from my briefcase drive back up the street only to get a call "Nevermind, the board is leaving they will talk to you at next's week meeting. :slp What a day! But dinner was fanastic, can't wait to get together with you again, Dan.

Anyway if I don't post this picture I will never hear the end of it from Dan, so here we are:

WinemakingFriends 002.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics Wade but where's the joy in a wee sip as you siphon?, I know it is fraught with danger(passed out on lawn once) but I ask you! "quality control" how do you know what it's like if a machine does the sucking?, I'm tellin yuh now! they machines will take over everything! and then where will you be! the stock yard?, nope! machines got that covered aswell:sh

Well as you know I took a road trip 100 miles south. First stop was at Columbia's outlet store and got some nice buys. Next went to Porter House Brew Shop and bought a 3 gallon carboy for 25.00. They had very few kits but lots of brew stuff. Next stop was 3B's in Butler. They had lots of RJS kits but I was looking for Pinot Gris or Grigio and they had neither. Their prices were outrageously high. They wanted ten dollars more for the carboy I just bought then I paid for it and the rest of their supplies seemed too high also. Next I got a hold of Julie and met her and Mike for a sandwich. Very nice meeting and we're looking forward to more meetings this summer. Hopefully some winery tours up here along the lake this summer.
Wade, "get a room"? We had the whole damn bar to ourselves! Anyways it was a very nice stress free day. Lets see...over 200 miles gone all day and no traffic tickets here..LOL

Sorry to hear about that Julie, but you have enough wine now to get over it!

Well as you know I took a road trip 100 miles south. First stop was at Columbia's outlet store and got some nice buys. Next went to Porter House Brew Shop and bought a 3 gallon carboy for 25.00. They had very few kits but lots of brew stuff. Next stop was 3B's in Butler. They had lots of RJS kits but I was looking for Pinot Gris or Grigio and they had neither. Their prices were outrageously high. They wanted ten dollars more for the carboy I just bought then I paid for it and the rest of their supplies seemed too high also. Next I got a hold of Julie and met her and Mike for a sandwich. Very nice meeting and we're looking forward to more meetings this summer. Hopefully some winery tours up here along the lake this summer.
Wade, "get a room"? We had the whole damn bar to ourselves! Anyways it was a very nice stress free day. Lets see...over 200 miles gone all day and no traffic tickets here..LOL

Sorry to hear about that Julie, but you have enough wine now to get over it!

All this and I was in Wexford for 2 meetings today. So close and yet sooooo far.:(

DJ what a bummer but next time I come down to shop it will be right there at Country Wines!

I'm there quite often. Too bad they were closed today being a Monday I had extra time and extra cash. The store was calling me.

Seriously I'm usually available Mon-Thursdays all day and evenings. Call me whenever your in the area and my wife and I will head up someday soon.

got myhours cut at work today. i am now only gonna work 20 hrs a week....the newest girl is gettin laid off so i will count my blessings where i have them.....time to start job hunting again tho :(

got myhours cut at work today. i am now only gonna work 20 hrs a week....the newest girl is gettin laid off so i will count my blessings where i have them.....time to start job hunting again tho :(

sorry to hear that Nikki, maybe look for part time elsewhere? Riding out the recession seems to be more and more difficult.

I did my grocery shopping on the way home from the gym.. hit every bargain and came home to add it all up.. Bought all but two items at half price or less.. spent $69.46 NZD in total..

total savings in my pocket were $73.22.. not a bad shop at all.. and apart from buying milk and bread for the week..I have enough to feed a family of 6.

Do we need a destitute gourmet/ destitute shoppers guide on here?

Allie ( winks)

edited to add...

Oh ..

and it rained on the way home from the supermarket..Completely soaked!... note to self..take waterproof leggings next time...

I got all my shopping on the new bike..I had a back pack and a topbox on the bike, 25 items in all, including 3 x 1.5 kilogram bags of new potatoes @.96 cents a bag. My $1.25 cent whole celery was poking out of the top box... completely ran out of room. ( perfectly managed shopping in other words !)

Nikki, I feel for ya! Right before Christmas we got ou pay cut 10% and about a month before that we lost all our vactions.

Nikki, hang in there they say things are getting better. I got my hours cut 100% about three weeks ago when they eliminated my position across the company.

Sent off my first unemployment stub, well for this round of being laid off. All most every normal job I've had I've been laid off of. Crazy to think about.

Just got back from a night SF and two days camping outside of Napa. Got to see a lot of lovely vineyards but it was a family gig so no visiting them for me :( Next time right. Most of the vines I saw were just getting leaves. The weather was HOT but the family loved it.

My broody hen should be hatching eggs later this week and I need to prepare a space for that.

Goofing off on this forum a bit. Then finding somewhere to fill a CO2 bottle so I can force carbonate my beer.

Sorry to hear that Nikki. You are in my thoughts girl.

I'm doing as little as possible today.

Nikki, hope you can find a solution for your work crisis. I'm working but only about 35 hrs. And barely breaking $10 an hour just doesn't cover living costs. Our company cut a lot of our benefits down and we've had one small raise in 3 years and no more in sight for the near future.
Right now they changed all 30 hour employee positions to "part time" witht the exception of those grandfathered in.
I'm used to living on around $40k a year and had to really adjust to making less than $20K.
I have a job interview with the county government next tuesday and that's only a 30 hr position. I'll be working 7 days a week at about 65 hours. I'll have more cash but not nearly what I was used to and working a lot more.
Times are tough. I think we will be growing a lot of our own food this year and living off less. Especially with a wedding to pay for next year. So expensive!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back