What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yummy, I love my dehydrator. Always wanted to try to make those fruit roll ups.

I like sguid jerky better, but dehydrated goat may be interesting too!

I could use a goat. At least till my friend starts storing his riding lawn mower in my garage. :try
Did a little work around the house (GAH dang ants) and need to check on my Shitaki wine and see if it is time to stabilize. Enjoying the holiday.

Troy what kind of dehydrator do you use. I'm thinking of cobbling together a DIY one if my garden takes off.

Torch its just a round white one with about 5 racks. I have two of the same kind actually. I got both of them out of the dump.

I wouldn't try to make one, though you certainly could. Consistent temp and airflow are real important.

I think mine are a Harvest someting or another.

Actually an electric smoker(without the smoke) might work if you can keep the temp where you want. Speaking of gardedn not long ago I met a gal who was taking thin sliced zuchinni, dusting it with secret spices and dehydrating them. Damn good! Better than potatoe chips!

But, if I was you I would just buy one. You'll be surprised actually how much you use it.

Last edited:
mines an oster . its a toster oven, fan oven, dehydrator and pizza (very small ones) !!!
i LOVE IT!! got it at wally world for 80 bucks and it saves the counter space lemme tell ya!

The nearest walmart is 2 hr's away, Target is the best we got here. There is not much big box stuff round here. They've been fight to keep home depot and wal mart out for years. From what I've read a passive flow box with some 100 watt light bulbs can be excellent at dehydrating large quantities.

Yes and no ohn, depends what your drying, with meat you want a pretty good temp, 150F for sure, veggies a little different. No question you could find the plans on line to give you some ideas on building one, but be careful with meat and fish.

Sitting here wishing it would stop raining I think today is like 5 days straight and they are calling for more the next couple of days . I can't even drink tonight because I'm taking some pain killers for my foot & leg plus i have to work in the morning .My stupid doctor better do something this time when I go in to see him Thursday . i need a new job also one that I can use my creative side and not just pour coffee all day .Alright I'm done b****ing for the night off to see how the Senators are doing now .

I'd build a smoker if I was doing meat or fish. This would be for whatever comes out of the garden. It's gotta stop raining long enough for me to put the garden in, so the dehydrator is a way in the future. :D

I'll take a look a little later John,see what I can find online for a design. Kinda interested myself now.

If its just for veggies it should be pretty simple to make. Like you said, some light bulbs and a small fan, even like one in this computer should be all it takes. I'm guessing for veggies maybe 110F or so would be all it would take as long as you had air circulation. Just for a dehydrater it wouldn't or shouldn't have to be to elaborate!

What kinda veggies suits your fancy?

I'm not feeling good at all today... So me and the cat are going to veg out on the couch all day... I haven't gotten a single productive thing done all day... ugh...

Sitting outside with my 3 y/o having a glass of chiante while she eats her ice cream from the ice cream man. Today was the first time he has been around this year.

Have meetings tonight so I'll be out most of the night.

Sorry to her that Daisy, I just got 2 shots into my back to reduce the amount of inflamation between my discs! I think after I eat though Im going down to my cellar and label the 2 batches of wine that have been sitting there for 2 weeks, I usually do this the next day after corking them but back hasnt been doing good but its got to be done to clear out my room.

sorry to hear yall are not well , i hope yall feel better , andxanxer, i hope ur kid just has a tummy ache or mild virus and not appendicitis. ill keep yall n my prayers!!

Oh Man am i in for it!! i was doing dishes, got the washer all loaded and damnit if it would not latch close!! i looked all over for a blockage...sides were clear , it haddnt wiggled loose...dishes were clear all showing was the black rubber leak guard (im guessing thats what that black seally thingy is)...i pushed , i shoved, i kicked , i yelled for hubby to come fix the damn thing!!!

he took it apart....cussed it...fussed over it....looked up.....what the hell is that nikki?!?(says he)...."what are you talking about, where are you looking"(says i).. there right there (points)(says he) "OH CRAP!" (says i).....there right where he is pointing is the ******* black plate from hell!!!! it had blended in whilst i was doing my check and i had over looked it!!!! :slp

sooooooo what do yall think that is gonna cost me?!?

...today was SUPPOSED to be a relaxing day...

BUT my cat just went into heat... and she sounds like a possessed pigeon (but at least she isn't wailing those deep lung MEOWS)... I really just want to lock her in the basement until she snaps out of it...

Latest posts

Back