What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was on the road most of the day. I dropped my lawn tractor off at the shop for service in Meadville. After I got home from that I headed up to NY for a project I'm working on.

No word of a lie, my lawn mower is frozen to the shop floor. It's all good though cause I bet it will still be a month or two before anything needs a trim

No word of a lie, my lawn mower is frozen to the shop floor. It's all good though cause I bet it will still be a month or two before anything needs a trim

Plowboy it'll be a month or two for me also. I had to charge the battery to get it going. I just figured I'd get it in before they started getting busy and way before I needed it. Once the season hits I can't afford to be without it for a week.

I think we are up to 3 mowers now and a big PTO bush hog. Come Monday I'll be servicing all the farm equipment so that's always fun.

just bottle my Wine Expert Riesling Ice Style wine.
Boy do I need a floor corker. Any good deals out there?
This bottle will be sacrificed tonight for the good of the other bottles.:)

District%207%20Port%20Deposit-20140323-00387.jpg

District%207%20Port%20Deposit-20140323-00389.jpg

Today I made my first outdoor purchase for the new year. I bought a dwarf Bartlett Pear today at Home Depot. The root ball is frozen and its freezing outside. I just feel good knowing I didn't wait until it was gone or dead. Additionally a good sign of warmer weather coming some day soon.

Today I racked my blackberry wine. Tasted quite good. I used recipes and suggestions from Julie. I also racked 3 gallons of apple cider out of primary. I bottled my WE Eclipse cab. Very nice outcome. Finally I tasted my WE Eclipse Savignon Blanc. Classic SB flavors.

Today I racked my blackberry wine. Tasted quite good. I used recipes and suggestions from Julie. I also racked 3 gallons of apple cider out of primary. I bottled my WE Eclipse cab. Very nice outcome. Finally I tasted my WE Eclipse Savignon Blanc. Classic SB flavors.

How old is your blackberry? I opened a bottle of mind that is 18 months old and my husband and I were shocked at the change it went thru and how great it tasted.

Glad to hear I was able to help.

I had to break down and (ulp) purchase empty wine bottles. I have been bottling more than I have been drinking, so popped for a couple of case's worth of bottles. (Should not happen often. I snuck an extra batch of Dragon Blood in this month.)

Bottle the Raspberry Dragonfruit White Shiraz and an FCC (Fredonia, Concord, Cayuga) blend. Pitched yeast on another Brianna and put one Brianna in the secondary.

In light of not having an range/oven I've had to neglect my wine. I feel so bad about it because now the workload has stacked up on me.

But either way, today I went browsing at the thrift shops and flea markets and found a booth with several boxes of empty bottles. They weren't priced or anything just sitting there. I asked the cashier and she called the vendor and they priced them at 50 cents each. I consider that a good deal because I have no wine drinking friends to save bottles (mostly because they just drink mine) and no other way to get freebies yet :( . So they said check back again and they'll have more. I suppose discounted is better than retail (see my quote below). Fortunately cleaning and de-labeling hasn't been much trouble.

How old is your blackberry? I opened a bottle of mind that is 18 months old and my husband and I were shocked at the change it went thru and how great it tasted.

Glad to hear I was able to help.

That's great to hear. My blackberry is young. I just started to bulk age last week. I will make certain that I age some of it for that long. I just got in peach puree from Home Winery. Any tips for kicking it up a notch? Thanks.

Well got my house filter today. It's a whole lot bigger than I expected but at 25 bucks it should work well. The guy at the plumbing store seems to think 15 psi should do the trick. Only time will tell I guess. It's going to be 6ish months before anything needs to be bottled.

I bottled Chardonnay/Semillon (82 bottles + a BAQAS) and Carmenere (31 Bottles +a BAQAS). The Chard-Sem is very nice, light (about 12%) and fruity. The Carmenere spent 6 months in a barrel and is very, very good. Got a bunch more of bottling to do b/c I will be making 42 gallons of Chilean very soon.

That's great to hear. My blackberry is young. I just started to bulk age last week. I will make certain that I age some of it for that long. I just got in peach puree from Home Winery. Any tips for kicking it up a notch? Thanks.

I grew up eating peach butter and I still make it to this day and I always think I need to make a peach butter wine. I think adding cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice to a peach wine would be really good. Not a lot.

I heard through the grapevine that due to the cold spring peaches are toast this year and cherries are hanging in there but only by a fingernail. 2 years ago there was a compleat failure of the apple crop due to a early 2 week thaw of 20*c weather that brought out the blossoms followed by 2 weeks of -20 weather that killed everything.

Glad I'm not in the fruit business. Far too many things to go wrong.

I heard through the grapevine that due to the cold spring peaches are toast this year and cherries are hanging in there but only by a fingernail. 2 years ago there was a compleat failure of the apple crop due to a early 2 week thaw of 20*c weather that brought out the blossoms followed by 2 weeks of -20 weather that killed everything.

Glad I'm not in the fruit business. Far too many things to go wrong.

Yea, I figured my cherries were not going to happen this year. Just as long as my grapevines are ok, I'll sacrifice the cherries.

Today I'm meeting up with an old friend for Lazer Tag and Skating and perhaps a visit to the "gentleman's club", could be interesting.

Yesterday was cray-cray in the lab! Back sweetened and Super Kleered 6 gal Smucker's strawberry preserve, 4 gal Blueberry Candy Cane, 5 gal skittles (i'm totally amazed at how this looks today!). I also back sweetened 11 gal of Strawberry DB and bottled 4 gal Lil Pink Peng a.k.a. Strawberry Dragon Blood that I had started previously as prizes for my sister's baby shower.

I have a feeling I will be enjoying this day off!

Pics of the skittles? Mine is still in the slurry phase so it will take some time before it starts to clear

Latest posts

Back