What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to see how clear it was before bottling. Picture didn't take real well but it's a map of the NC coast. Looks better live.

image-3706548906.jpg

This evening I selected a White Merlot made from a 2011 bucket of Luva Bella's California grape juice. I have sampled it before and was unimpressed. Tonights bottle is is truly deliteful! Great nose, decent body and mouthfeel and truly wonderful grapey fruit flavor followed by a dry finish. Dang, I make good wine! I might have to open another!

Dan, It is a good thing that Mrs Deets likes the same things that I do. I am hearing impaired and Diane heard the bear coming and alerted me to it. We watched it for about 15 minutes which during that time we were able to take dozens of pictures of it. We likely will be back there Saturday Morning to see if we can see it again.

Racked a Chilean Malbec and Cab Sav (yesterday) and added the MLB, the Cab Sav is already showing signs of MLF, racked a Moscato as well, one more should be ready in another day or so, I'll stabilize both at that time and let them age a bit.

Today my wife had her "nesting" moment for this pregnancy and began throwing random items out of the front door. Apparently it was all "junk" though the majority of it looked perfectly functional to me.

Still, functional or not I know from experience not to argue, and just to politely ask what I can do to help.

I was given a simple mission for the day, get the trailer from out back, load up her "nesting junk" and haul it to the dumpster out at Dad's.

Sssooooo......

image-704453050.jpg

I buried the jeep.

Doesn't look bad because the ruts are filled with water. But the front end was almost resting on the frame.

The 4WD jeep that I have taken up mountains and down riverbanks and through this crap that is supposed to be the "street" I live on:

image-3696777704.jpg

Buried. In. My. Yard.

And after spending a few moments of slinging mud across the yard, into the trees, over the roof of the house, and finally unhitching the trailer, I got it out. And in order to turn around had to pull the mud soaked monstrosity onto the patio.

Mud. All. Over. Pregnant. Wife's. Patio.

And keep in mind she's in NESTING MODE!

Needless to say I spent the rest of the day fixing ruts with a garden rake and spraying mud off of the patio. And running for my life every time she came outside.

Last edited:
LOL, well it is always good to hear someone correcting their mistakes :)

Destemmed and crushed by hand 4 lugs of Chilean Pinot Noir. I will never ever do this again. Looking to buy some new equipment. I worked my but off Thankfully that I bought a press already.

Destemmed and crushed by hand 4 lugs of Chilean Pinot Noir. I will never ever do this again.

:)

How long did it take you?

Took me 18 hours to do 150lbs of Riesling... Them's some tiny grapes..

(I feel your pain)

Last edited:
Giving away a couple bottles to the guys at work. I always get a big smile on my face when I start getting wine or beer messages. I take it as a compliment.

I have been chained to a desk for almost a year now. Ever since the wreck. Making wine, studying everything I can about it has been a great outlet for all of my frustrated energy.

With only a few days left though..... I want to rip my phone and radio consoles off the desk, throw them into the hall, jump on them with both feet and scream at the top of my lungs.

I don't know if the guys realize my wine obsession is an outlet or if they just really like my wine. But I choose to assume the latter.

...Still fantasizing about smashing those consoles. Yep it's time to make another batch of wine.

Last edited:
We need to start a club. Call it the "One Time He-Man Hand Crushers Club".

So far we have three members and all three have made the vow "never again"..... :)

I am a member of the 200lb Hand De-stem Club.

Destemmed and crushed by hand 4 lugs of Chilean Pinot Noir. I will never ever do this again. Looking to buy some new equipment. I worked my but off Thankfully that I bought a press already.

Went to LuvaBella to purchase 2 bottles of Passion for the wife, picked up a pail of Muscat and a pail of Carmenare for me. I was able to sit and chat with the Winemaker for about an hour and a half, which was greatly appreciated.

I saw something today that you don't see very often if at all and that was Tiger Woods triple-bogeying a hole, number 18 at Muirfield Village Golf Club in the Memorial Tournament. He had a disastrous day, carding a 79 (7 over par). Don't think we will see anything like that again any time soon.

Other than that, it was a great day with some good friends from Pittsburgh who visit us frequently during Memorial week.

Go Pens! Go Bucs!

Last night I soent racking wines. Racked 12 gallons of Noble Muscadine, 12 gallona of Red Muscadine, 5 gallons of Chanbourci and 5 gallons of Pear. The pear is atr about the perfect sweetness after adding the fpack last month.

Heading out mini golfing with my daughter today then hoping to rack the Bronze and Carlos Muscadine and maybe the Skeeter Pee will be taken care of as well.

it used to be that I would have to force my son to help me bottle wine. Now that he has turned 21, he has been the one to initiate the bottling process, though now it costs me a bottle or two per batch bottled.

The Muscat and the Amarone continue to ferment in the garage. We need to do some more bottling to free up some carboys. I wonder what all that will cost me???

Back